Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving from Phuket to ROK - am I nuts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTM wrote:
I've got a job offer going in the opposite direction - from Suwon (or close to it) to Thailand (near Samui) - but it's for heaps less than 45K baht.

#1-How can it be near Samui?

#2-If you're having second thoughts, I'm more than ready to receive the torch, or something. I didn't even know that they actually had English schools on Samui. If they had one on Koh Tao, I might almost be in heaven.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTM's going for Surat Thani - closest major centre to Samui
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
My doubts only started as I made a tentative flight booking. Now I am thinking I might just be remembering the good in Korea. But I am bored in Thailand. I can look outside and see the palm tress and sunshine, but I am inside. Being in a beach town but working in an office all the time is like going camping in the rain. If you work all day in Korea at least you can go wander around neighbourhoods, stores, whatever a big city can offer.
Of course maybe Suwon is a dump, I really don't know, but figured it was close enough to Seoul.

if you are teaching you are not going anywhere...
and ou will be in suwon which yes is a big city but really has nothing to offer unless you are the family man.. department stores and such there..

yes you go out after work depending on your shifts,, so lets say you head out at 7:30pm what are you going to do>>>"?? train to itaewon?
thats 1.5 hours there now its 9pm.. then last train is 11:30 then 1am at home.. wow 2/5 hours in the itaewon or seoul...

dont you go out in Thailand (phuket) many things you can do there..
PATONG has a great night life but I dont need to tell you that...
plus you have weekends where you can go island hopping.. pi pi etc.. up to krabi or cheap flights to BKK..I would serious think twice about coming here.. if its money you are after,, then yes come.. but you are sacrificing much more
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Patong's nightlife is hard to beat - but I have been here since January '02 so it has lost some of its appeal, especially since I get a shoe across the head when girls I knew before chat me up when my girlfriend is around. And trust me, when I am out in Patong she is always around.

As for weekend trips I only get saturday off so island hopping is out of reach, but Phuket has a lot of out of the way spots I can get to. Stay here long enough though and you realise this is a small town, difficult to find much to do outside of the beach or the bars. Beaches are great for holidays but you start to take them for granted.

BTM - there are office jobs here, especially if you have some computer skills. Most start at 20K per month. I only get 40K + comm. because I told them I was leaving after a few months at 20K and low comm. because tourists stopped coming.

If you are a good talker (English, Chinese or German) you can take your chances as a time share salesman. That's my company (I don't do sales) Some of these guys live quite a comfortable life down here if they are moderately good. One or two are in the 100K plus region. I know my company is looking for commission based people now, they'll pay 8000TB for your first month's rent but after that you are on your own. No, I would not get a recruiter's fee, just passing along the info.

Local language schools pay around 300TB/hour or 20-25K a month so you have to really want to be here to do that.
chilsung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume since the Web master Dave is married to a Thai woman and has Thai children, that he would not appreciate derogatory remarks about the woman. But my esception is that if that is a stipulation then the negative comments of Korean women should be eliminated. I think that articles that describe personal preference of beauty are retarded and redundant. I think that they all should be eliminated.
Besides, the original post about location needs no comments about women at all. I think that if you are making that good of a salary in Thailand you should stay. Unless, you are just bored with the environ. The average person here saves only around 35-50,000 baht a month. Depending on lifestyle and overtime. You might not save as much but the trade off is lifestyle. Do what suits you. I actually would never live in Phuket, not my cup of tea, but sure beats BKK. My home and family live in the North of Thailand and the salary there is awful. Less than 20,000 for most Uni profs. So Korea is a better choice for me.
Good luck, with whatever your choice.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to view Thais as some sort of lower life form, keep your opinions to yourself. TIME OUT on this...

PATONG DONG-, (you babe magnet!) how are all those girls clamouring for your attention going to survive when you leave them all behind? But obviously you're bored with women throwing themselves at you everyday, and it must be hard on your devoted girlfriend that every girl in town chats you up constantly.
You are truly the wonderful sort of person we all want ,to join the teaching community here.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice is to be nice - but even though we might not need to be super-nice all the time, I think a good rule of thumb is to imagine a real person is standing in front of you who might meet the description of someone you are describing when you post here - would you say the same thing to their face, or even if they were just in the same room?

General and categorical statements about nationalites are not cool, and this goes more so for genders. These comments do not make one invited back to dinner, and it's pretty embarassing to some us when we see westerners bopping around town talking that kind of trash in loud voices - you know what I mean. On the other hand, making comparisions between coutries is a natural thing for those of us in this profession because our experiences give us raw material for it ... but there are ways to do it that are not simply in the realm of a slur.

Back to the topic, I'll welcome the OP to come here and teach, though I've often wanted to teach in Thailand myself, (And Phuket! ... yes.) and if he shows up in Suwon I might buy him a beer and force him to talk about it.

A big argument in favor of Korea, yes, it's money. A LOT of English teachers in Korea can afford to go to Thailand on vacation, but I wager only a few teachers there can come here on theirs ... then again, they are IN Thailand, so maybe they don't WANT to come here. Embarassed
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my mind was pretty much made up to leave this place yesterday when I came home to find my 8 month old dog dead from poisoning. And it was not isolated, somebody drove down the entire road throwing poisoned chicken out, last sure count I had was 11 dead dogs. Spent yesterday afternoon trying to help a friend find his dog that never returned home.
I know they eat dog in Korea, but to do this to dogs that are clearly pets (mine had a collar, was clean and had had all shots) is just sickening. I just don't want to be in the neighbourhood anymore.

Rapier - I wish I could accept the babe magnet handle, but unlike Korea where guys sometimes start to believe the hype, when the 90 year old arthritic German beside me at the bar is getting the same attention I am it keeps egos in check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: