Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats this new law then

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: whats this new law then Reply with quote

about having to have you pay slip when you go to send money home. i heard about my mate had tones of trouble last week with this new law
to stop people doing privates and sending more money back than they earn so when you send money back now as of 2 weeks ago you have to show where it all came from ie payslips from hogwans and bank calling up your director to prove it.?????? anyone else heard of this .....i need to send money back soon.

cheers again
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard about this. I'm working legally so no problem. But if this is the case for you.. then I'd recommend putting your money in a Korean bank where you can withdraw money from outside of Korea. In this situation, you could either:

1) Go to Philippines on your next visa run, withdraw it, and wire it home from there.

2) Give your bank account # to someone you really trust! Your mother perhaps or something. She can withdraw it in your home country and deposit it in your home bank account.

or

3) Just take a visa trip home every so often and withdraw it yourself and put it into your bank account.

The only problem I can possibly see is if there is some kind of limit to the amount of money you can withdraw on a daily basis, or anything like that..
Harpeau

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this about a new law? I never heard about it? I'm wondering if it might have been the first time wiring from that particular bank and wanted to get proof of where he was working? Might that be a possibility? Or is it the particular bank's policy? Curious.
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ratslash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent some money home today. no probs. didn't even ask to see my passport - nice! it was bank account to bank account. dunno if this makes any difference.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only time I had to show pay slip is first time you send money back, to verify what your salary is. This has happened at every bank I've wired money back at since they changed the rules as result of the IMF mandates.

Once you show it the first time, you should have no problems
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

If this law is true then I would love to tell my boss about it. I asked for a pay slip after my first pay and he had some strange, vague reason why he couldn't give one to me. I want to have my pay slips in case I ever get hasseled by revenue canada about where all the money in my bank account came from. Idon't think they would take my word that I earned it in KOrea and my boss refused to give pay slips.
Twister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, apparently there has been changes.

First I heard of it was last month. I opened an account with Shinhan last month. I had dealt with CHB for the last 2 years, but after the strike I figured I would have my pay deposited to a different bank just in case. Anyway long story short - I went to wire $$$ home and I needed everything but a urine sample.

Then I went to CHB to wire money. I didn't send money since Jan due to the exchange. When I showed them my paperwork for a transfer in Dec(account #'s etc..) they told me I had to bring in a contract before I was able to send. Luckily I found by paperwork for the Jan transfer or I would have had to make a second trip. I guess the changes took place in Jan.

Funny thing is I am not even on the same contract??

4 years ago I didn't have a Korean bank account, but transfered money every month. Even then I only required a passport.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what crap!
are they really doing that?
what's your location? which city?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a Korean friend to transfer your money in their name. No questions asked.
djsmnc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....Never experienced any of these problems. My bank is great and the women are cute there...

Anyhow, they never question my intentions of where the money is going or why. Of course, wherever I go, it's real difficult to find...

I use HanMi Eunheng...KorAm Bank in English...
Miss England

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: thanks for that Reply with quote

i'm in seoul but my was in Ulsan when it happend to them.
in the chong or chung.......bank!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fact of the matter is the bank workers have no clue what they're doing. Sure, you got some people who know whats up, but 90% of them have no idea. The reason, I think, is because the laws have changed over the years and employees either don't remember the changes or aren't told about them. Hence, different experiences at different banks; even different experiences at different branches of the same bank.

I'm guessing the ones who want loads of paperwork and information are the ones who are the most clueless- they're just covering their asses.

Anyway, I don't have an account with KEB, but I go to the local branch when sending money home. Why? because all they ask for is some form of ID. Elsewhere I've had some type of problem or another. I'm not saying KEB is the best, just where I happen to be (Bucheon).

Just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: