Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psychological effects of English
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Westerners (having such a young culture)

questionable, but i don't want to get into it ...

I don't have anything major to add except that from my reading on second language acquisition, affective factors have MORE effect than even the nature and quality of instruction when it comes to attaining fluency. One of the key factors noted was; if a person has a negative view of the second language culture, or if they can't imagine themselves successfully integrating into that culture, thier chances of acheiving fluency are greatly reduced.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Has anyone ever experienced saying something in perfect Korean ( confirmed by my good friends ) and had the Korean person either totally not understand because they think you're mangling English, or require three or four repeats because they simply aren't listening for Korean from a foreigner?

Merry go round go round go round go round.

I must be frickin' bilingual; only students laugh at my Korean, and I mock their pronunciation of girl, world, and wood in retaliation. I love doing that.
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of frustration. Years spent trying to learn a language no one here uses. Rarely seeing or meeting foreigners, not understanding much about other countries. An adult who has never been out of Korea may have a quite limited and inward-looking view of things. Still some such people do learn a good bit of English, somehow. But I'd guess about 90% will still know little despite their years in English classes. Hell it's hard to listen to a language you barely understand. And uncomfortable when someone speaks to you in that language, expecting you to respond somehow. Much easier to ignore it all and stick with the language you already know and use all the time anyway. See that all the time in most hagwons, so after a year most kids will still know very little. They just do what little bit they have to but are rarely actually interested in it. I was the same in school with a little French. Boring.
helly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is all about "attainment," not education. The focus isn't on learning anything, simply on getting a degree/qualification/certificate/test score/etc. Many Koreans feel that if they don't have mastery of a subject, then they are on the sidelines (read something similar about Chinese culture yesterday so maybe a bit plagiarized). The emphasis on perfection of English, and particularly on American English, rejects the fact that the language is spoken in many different ways across the globe and is primarily a tool of communication. In a sense, Korean learners of English are fighting a battle that CANNOT be won. That is stress.
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points helly. "Attainment" probably drives a lot of us. Korea seems eager to become a big player in the world. And it is so competitive here, where getting in the right university and getting a good score on tests means so much. Not surprising then that actually learning can be of less importance. Anyway I thought your comments were right on the mark.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...good points indeed. Unfortunately, while they are so pressurised at the high-school level, the standards go slack at university. it's as if you've done your hard work by getting in, and now you can just pick up your degree by turning up for four years. I can't remember how many times I've been instructed by a co-ordinator to raise a students grade because "they need a certain average to graduate" ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: