Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good bookstores in Seoul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwikid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Good bookstores in Seoul Reply with quote

I'm in seoul for a day or two and want to know where to go to buy books. In particular, learning Korean and learning persian or Farsi books.
Cheers.
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyobo bookstore from what I remember has a big section down the back in the English part for Korean language. Interestingly (I don't know if this is still the case) but it used to be that the English language section was the only part of Kyobo bookstore that had those security metal detector thingys. I don't know what that was all about. Some foreigner stereotypes at play perhaps? As far as Farsi books I have absolutely no idea. Good luck.
Dugsby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good new bookstore connected to the express bus terminal (I can't give you specific directions though).

As well there are some good used bookstores in Itaewon at either end of the main drag (check out a copy of the Korean Times and there should be a few ads --- Abby's Book Nook, a great place for general English-language fiction is actually a little off the beaten track but is well worth the search.)

It's not much, but I hope this helps a little.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COEX has Bandi & Luni's (or something similar, can't remember exactly right now) which is quite a good store with a big collection. No prices in Won though, you have to calculate from the Dollar to get the price. You can get to the COEX via the Samseong subway station on the green line.

A new Kyobo bookstore has opened in Gangnam, go out subway exit 6 and walk for 500 metres or so, you can see the giant brown building at the big junction and the bookstore's in the basement.

Gwanghwamun/Jonggak area has 2 big bookstores: the original Kyobo bookstore and Yongpoong (sp?) bookstore. Both can be entered from Gwanghwamun and Jonggak subway stations respectively.

The bookstore at the Central City Complex in the Express Bus Terminal is another branch of Yongpoong (I think). Wander around the CCC until you come to it - it's near the McDonalds and the cinema.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the following posts on bookstores in (mostly) Seoul...
BOOKS
1. New Kyobo Bookstore in Kangnam
2. Kim & Johnstons�s Bookstore
3. Teacher�s Supply Stores
4. Second Hand Bookstores
5. Is there a Kyobo in Daegu?
6. Good Kor-Eng, Eng-Kor Dictionaries
7. ESL Teaching Books (Where Can I Find Them in Seoul?)
8. Kim and Johnsons Bookstore
Buzzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the big bookstore in COEX and found a lonely planet Farsi/English phrasebook.
danyuk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one just as u get out after Itaewon. Nyopseyong or something like that, right next to one of the exits i think. It may be a swap thing but im sure u can buy as well.
Corvid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While browsing I found an online bookseller that says it ships within a week, plus the shipping's free. It's yesasia.com and they have a very wide selection: my test, looking for A Vindication Of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstoncraft. If I lived in Seoul I'd go to a real life bookstore, but since I'm in Daejeon I think I'll be using this place.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesasia.com is cheaper than any book store that I've found in Seoul- including Kyobo (rip-off for most of its books) and the place in COEX. Its selection is pretty good.

The place on the edge of Itaewon is a rip-off. Better going to the other 2 used book stores in Itaewon by the mosque.
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that! yesasia.com will ship books anywhere in Korea for free--right to your door for no charge. Can't beat that! They have a great selection and you get 3,000 off your first order.
Soo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to yesasia.com for ESL books and this is what I found ...
Quote:
Important Notice

YesAsia.com regrets to inform our customers that we will be discontinuing our English Books service starting December 20, 2005. We at YesAsia.com would like to thank all of you who purchased English Books over the years. We will continue to provide normal order fulfillment on all English Books orders placed on or before December 20.
bummer
chiaa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo wrote:
went to yesasia.com for ESL books and this is what I found ...
Quote:
Important Notice

YesAsia.com regrets to inform our customers that we will be discontinuing our English Books service starting December 20, 2005. We at YesAsia.com would like to thank all of you who purchased English Books over the years. We will continue to provide normal order fulfillment on all English Books orders placed on or before December 20.
bummer

Razz Razz Razz

I am not too bummed out about it and actually I predicated it 12 months ago in one fo the numerous bookstore threads.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiaa wrote:
I am not too bummed out about it and actually I predicated it 12 months ago in one fo the numerous bookstore threads.

I missed that predication. care to explain why English books were not profitable for yesasia?

Clearly this is good news for you.
chiaa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperHero wrote:
chiaa wrote:

I missed that predication. care to explain why English books were not profitable for yesasia?

Clearly this is good news for you.

It's how they ran it. When they first "broke" into Korea their Korean office was spending millions of Won on ads that advertised calanders. In the past three weeks alone, I have gotten six free calanders...

There are also a million different bugs in their website that makes shopping very difficult. As soon as someone starts exporting Chinese books and magazines to N.A. I think it would be a safe bet that they will be doomed from the new competition.

Also, rumors floating around in the publishing industry are that they started the company hoping to be bought up by Amazon.com. Amazon invested in some other mainland Chinese company instead and this started their down fall in the English book area. These are just rumors and opinions of a few of my suppliers when we get to the gossiping part of our business meetings (I have found the book industry to be really gossipy!).
tacon101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danyuk wrote:
I saw one just as u get out after Itaewon. Nyopseyong or something like that, right next to one of the exits i think. It may be a swap thing but im sure u can buy as well.

it's a mess of a bookstore, but can usually get good prices from the ajumma...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: