Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Visa Run" is exactly that -- a run!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: The "Visa Run" is exactly that -- a run! Reply with quote

A warning to you guys who are planning a Visa Run to Osaka .... get there before 11am.

There were six of us foreigners who showed up at 1:30 (after their lunch break) to get our Visa stamps, and the counter-lady was upset. She gave a few of us a verbal tongue-lashing, and told us to pass along that they, "normally don't allow this!" By that, she meant that they don't get the Visas done by 3pm if they are brought to them at 1:30pm.

We were all in the same boat, since there were no tickets available earlier than the flight we took.

With that said, our "Visa Run" was really a serious "run". I am exhausted. To top it off, we took the wrong train back to the airport (we took the slow one, because it said, "Express".. hahha). We almost missed our plane back, and all later flights were booked through Sunday. Yikes!

Glad it's over!
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

HEy Derrek considering some of the badluck you have been having that trip doesn't sound to bad. If it was up to your usual standard you would still be there.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like most jobs do it that way...I almost got left in Japan last year doing it that way...so I told my last employer that I WOULDN'T GO if he didn't give me at least 8 hours.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a rude woman. There was a british guy in your same situation when I did the visa run and the lady didn't say squat. I got mine around 4:30 (drop off at 1:30 or so), flight back to Seoul was at 7:30 pm.
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't more or less EVERYONE who does that visa run get to the consulate at 1-1.30....???
Surely they're used to this.
Consular staff are notoriously crabby and unpredictable everywhere though so it's kind of hard to know the real reason.
You got the visa though which is the main thing.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tight run. Good thing you didn't get Derrek'ed !
panthermodern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have done the visa run in Osaka 3 times and coordinated at least 10 others (thats my job) I have never heard of any problems.

As for crabby ... I don't blame her ... Most for the "foreigners" I have seen at the Osaka office are scared little shitheads who are as rude and demanding as *beep*.

(Not directed at anyone poster in particular)

Just because your in Japan does not mean you have licence to be rude to the Korean consulate staff.

Here are my tips:

1) Don't Panic (did not anyone learn that from the HHGttG)
2) Proper Planning Provides Perfect Preformance
Have all you stuff ready and bring everything that you need
3) Be Polite, screraming and being rude will get you no where.

See, I am that guy in Osaka who shows up at 1:30, gets in line, having already bought my stamps, has my picture, has my forms filled out, and is polite to the staff at the consulate. I get my stamp by 3:00 pm at the lastest ...

I also avoid others like the plague, your hard luck stories and lack of planning are not going to slow me down.

I give my "people" the same advice ....

take it or leave it ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrroboto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had crazy problems getting to the consulate on time, after first missing a bus, then my plane, and finally the train from the airport. I stepped into the building at 4pm on a Friday.

I thought I was screwed and would be spending the whole weekend sitting around in Japan with 20,000 yen and no hotel, but the lady handed me my visa back 20 minutes later. It was shocking.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VISA run to Japan was awesome. I wasn't working yet, so I got to spend a full week in Japan. Chilled in Kanagi with my college pal who was teaching for JET, then we went to Osaka for a couple of days and ate up the gaming scene, got my VISA done at a nice leisurely pace, so on.

If I ever have to do another VISA run, I'll undoubtedly request the run before I start working. No way am I doing what Derrek described.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last visa run extended to an unforeseeable 3 days. However I submitted my application at 9am, and it was ready by 3pm..gave me the day to check out all the back streets in the vicinity of the immigration office, not bad.
mishlert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an American friend who went to Osaka for a tourist visa.
He says he walked in with everything he needed, the lady looked it over and told him to be back the same afternoon. So far so good, but then it got better.
He returns and picks up his passport and discovers that his visa is a c-4, or 5(I forget now), and that it's good for 5 years.
He can work all the privates he wants and not worry about visas for 5 years, talk about luck.
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the best visa run this week. Everything went like clock-work.

It is normal to arrive at 1:30 for a 3:30 pick-up.

Plus......economy-class was booked out so my hagwon had to buy me business-class!!! You know they put the best-looking stewardesses in there!!! Great food and all the whisky I could drink in 1 hour!!!
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEah,
I got there about 1.30 and the only problems I had was getting a train back first getting lost in namba station then getting on a non express train. Remember people just get the super express expensive train to the airport so you don't lose your seat back home.

CLG
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I've just decided.

Last year when my rat-assed SOB of an ex-boss was promising to send me on my visa run, I started writing a "How To Get To The Korean Embassy In Osaka" guide for my site. There would be pictures and everything. I had already done it a couple of times, so I knew the route pretty well. Of course, part of my boss's screwing me over was him not sending me on my visa run, so I shelved the plan.

So, here's what I will try to do for Chu-sok: I will take a ticket to Osaka for the afternoon, I will document the visa run, get it typed up and on my site.

Then you can all thank me with a lapdance.
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then you can all thank me with a lapdance.

Hey why are you writing it here? Squaffy's over hanging out on your website these days ! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: