Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie seeks help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Newbie seeks help Reply with quote

Hi Everybody! Very Happy (imagine that said as Dr. Phil - from the Simpsons, not Oprah's lameass spinoff)

I'll be arriving in Korea in about 2 weeks and of course I'm trying to prepare for the trip. I read somewhere that Korean's are big on giving gifts so I wanted to be able to give a little something in return. Any good ideas on a host gift to bring?

pls refrain from any butt-kissing jokes or "smacking" noises
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont bring anything.

Take your boss out boozing some saturday night. That's the gift they appreciate here.
Canucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, yeah, before I get a bunch of Simpson's fans posting on here - I meant "Dr. Nick". Damn...all muddled...too much daytime tv...must find job...oh yeah, I'm on my way to start one Smile
jsmac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you're going to work for a "Christian" university? Seems like it would be starting things off on the wrong foot to invite the temperance-types out for a soju bender...
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, liquor is the gift that keeps on pleasing. Whether it be "Scotch" whisky, fancy soju, or some other fruity-based liquid that'll get ya tore up, you can sure bet that it's a winning equation to give your boss....LIQUOR!!!!
keguri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. Liquor is a good idea. You could pick something up at the duty free on your way to Korea. Whiskey would be an excellent choice. Western spirits are pretty expensive in Korea, so it would be considered a very nice gift. A bottle of wine might be nice too. Maybe it would even be nice if you could find something produced in Canada.
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
keguri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another idea. While I was in Korea, I had to look for a birthday gift for a male friend. I went to Itaewon and found a really nice zippo lighter. After I bought it, I wished I had just picked one up in the US, where it was made, for cheaper. Anyhow, even if your boss doesn't smoke (which he most likely does), he's sure to have friends or relatives who do. He could light their cigarettes for them.

Another idea would be to give him a nice fountain pen. That's something anyone can use.

The nice thing about these two gifts is that they are small and easy to transport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: