Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elizabethjane is coming to Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Elizabethjane is coming to Korea Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I think I have everything sorted out.
I will work for that school.
It turns out that the recruiter was the one who was causing the problem so now I am dealing directly with the school.
It looks now that the price of the ticket and my arrival date is not a problem....I may have a ticket to leave Newfoundland on the 22nd and the school will pay for the ticket, in full.
Thanks to everyone for their advice and support.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News. How did you get in touch with the school directly and how was the recruiter causing the problems?

Oh.. and NAME the recruiter...
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Yeah,Good Luck Reply with quote

NEVER go through a recruiter! All the pros in this business will tell you that.
I hope things continue to work out for you when you get here.Be sure to have a backup option(at least one) and enough funds or at least a credit card to get out if things do not work out.Cover yourself.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the director contacted me directly...haha..and apologized for everything. The recruiter did not contact the director with any of my concerns and paying for the flight was not the director's idea....it was the recruiter's. The recruiter is refusing to speak to both the director and me. I am getting everything that is promised in my contract, plus I am getting picked up at the airport---something my recruiter said the director "wouldn't" do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Be Careful Reply with quote

I hope everything works out okay for you.But how do you know that "you are getting everything that was promised"?Isn't it a little early to make that judgment?Maybe so far you are getting everything that was promised.Good luck.Be careful.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please let us know the name of the recruiter, you don't want anyone else having to go through this kind of BS.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone above suggests that "all the pros" will tell you not to use a recruiter.
Not true. I don't want to get the old "recruiter or not" mega-debate going again, but I do want ElizabethJane to know that some (or many?) of us have used them before and had good experiences. There are a variety of reasons to use one, just as there are many reasons to avoid one. I've been teaching overseas in one form or another since 1989. This is my second time working in Korea and I almost used a recruiter this time too (I used one the first time I came here - and was very glad I did).

So EJ, don't feel like using one was a bad idea, it's just that you got one of the not so good ones. Once you get a few countries under your belt some of these things will not seem quite as much an emergency as do now.

Everyone else, check the EFL Law website for legit and recommended recruiters - they do exist.

disclaimer: I am NOT a recruiter!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyJJ wrote:
Someone above suggests that "all the pros" will tell you not to use a recruiter.
Not true.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm one of the "pros", but I agree.

I think better advice would be not to rely solely on recruiters, and certainly not on just one, but there's no reason that I can see to cut them off completely as a source of job leads while you're conducting your job search. They will often know of jobs that you might not have found out about on your own. Also, if you're trying to conduct your job search from your home country, you probably won't have much choice but to use a recruiter.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyJJ wrote:

Everyone else, check the EFL Law website for legit and recommended recruiters - they do exist.

They probably do, but the one she was originally dealing with certainly doesn't fit that category.
It sure would be nice if she could at least come back here and post the name the recruiter that screwed her over so that others don't have to go through what she did...
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Recruitment Reply with quote

Smiling Korea is the agency I was dealing with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: