Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting to get concerned about my job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Starting to get concerned about my job Reply with quote

I accepted a position with a hagwon about a week ago and I've purolated my contract to them. I've heard absolutely nothing so far about exactly when I'm supposed to be arriving or about anything at all (they said mid-sept when they sent the contract).

I'm starting to wonder if they've either forgotten about me or decided they no longer want me at all. What usually happens after a contract is accepted? How long does it take to get things settled?
matthews_world

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you call them?

If they've got your docs, call them and see what your status is.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried calling them yet, I was going to give it the weekend before I called. But it's been suggested to me that I do it so I will!

Thanks for the advice. Here's hoping everything is going smoothly.
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that Purolater hasn't even got the documents to them yet as they tend to take a week on their 2-3 days service. FedEx, on the other hand, next day every time.

Anyway, assuming that they did arrive arrive on time, the papers still have to be taken to Immigration along with a visa application form. Once that is done, it's usually another week at a minimum before the visa is ready to be picked up (sometimes one can get lucky and it's ready in a couple days if they aren't busy or the school says "I don't need it now, but right now.").

Plus it's a holiday right now in Korea, which will then be followed by the weekend. On top of that, many people took Thursday off to earn themselves a four day weekend so they could travel.

All wrapping up nicely to say there isn't a hope in hell your visa is ready. Thus the school has no need to phone you. If you're really worried, you can phone up and say "did my documents arrive?", but asking "is my visa ready?" will only be met with "no."
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to get concerned about my job Reply with quote

CanKorea wrote:
I accepted a position with a hagwon about a week ago and I've purolated my contract to them. I've heard absolutely nothing so far about exactly when I'm supposed to be arriving or about anything at all (they said mid-sept when they sent the contract).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Korean business. They probably won't tell you anything until you absolutly have to know. When I first got my job, I didn't hear from them for two weeks, so I figured it was off. Then they emailed me and told me that I had to send my passport ot the Korean consulate fast because I was going to Korea in a week.
Now, I get phonecalls at 2 am from my boss telling me that I have to be at work early the next day.
I get told about major school events the day of.
They tell me nothing, unless I absolutly have to know.
Korean business=miscommunication...get used to it.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. It puts me somewhat at ease. I know the documents arrived because I checked with Purolator. (what can I say? I'm anal)

I spoke with someone else who told me she was told she wasn't wanted after the contract had been signed and everything. I'm just worried the same thing might be happening now.

Hmm...I really like to worry...not a good habit. Rolling Eyes
CanKorea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatthefunk, you were right. Same scenario that happened to you is happening to me. It seems I'll be in Korea this time next week. Good lord, was I stupid to agree to that? Argh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: