Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lovesan ms virus attacking today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funplanet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Lovesan ms virus attacking today Reply with quote

Has anyone been attacked by the new Lovesan virus...it is attacking computers with ms windows...supposedly it won't infect the machine but simply replicate and then move on to other machines via the internet...it hit mine this morning...

what it does is cause the computer to mysteriously restart with a msg stating that the Remote Procedure Call Service (RPC) is disabled...

it works faster and faster the more the computer is restarted..

I went in and enabled the inet firewall for my wireless and lan inet connection...seems to have helped so far...one thing that ms is recommending as well as downloading a virus patch...

anyone having the same problems??
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same problem this a.m. I've got XP.
Didn't get any message about a virus but what you're describing sounds the same. I'd start up the computer would get about 30 seconds and then a message would come up with a 60 second count down clock saying it had to reboot the computer on the command of NT authority or some such crap. I also went in and installed a firewall after work tonight, have rebooted the computer several times and it seems to have cleared up.
Can anyone recommend any free virus patches that I can download...? Or if this is even possible. Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm always playing around with settings on the computer and downloading stuff and my oh my the grief I got from my gf this morning was the type of thing books are written about. Evil or Very Mad

But she was wrong - praise the lord - and I can't wait to tell her Very Happy
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read on CNN that there is a virus patch for this specific virus on windowsupdate.com
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Quote:
Just a warning to those here who got hit, it's kind of unsafe and
irresponsible to NOT format after succumbing to this vuln. It's probably
just me the worry wart, but the thought that any executable on my computer could be a keylogger or trojan is enough for me to format
Shocked

My mother likes candy.
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot though for the info Superfly. Smile
Tancred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always just use the XP firewall...and disable any remote assistance options in the control panel. I should think this would be enough to protect against this virus...am i being naive?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another post about this. Denz explains how to fix it.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=8321
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-update is your friend. The patch that prevents such programs from infecting your computer was put up a month ago. Had you had auto-update turned on, this would not be a problem.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sometimes hard to do when the computer is all in Korean!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yodanole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: virus Reply with quote

OK, so I got hit with this virus. My computer just restarted and shut down over and over. So I just shut down and the next day called the computer guy who installed my XP and new harddrive and had him come over, cost 20,000 and I could use my computer. So tonight, having some free time I downloaded the AVG grisoft anti-virus program (I already had some type of virus program that came with the XP operating system-V3Pro 2002 Deluxe). Well, upon installing grisoft, 2 things happened. (1) Some of the start-up icons dissappeared from the screen, and (2) a scan revealed that the virus was still on the computer. What is up with that? The V3Pro didn't find anything, but it only takes 2 minutes to run. And where did my icons go?
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha they caught one of the turds responsible.

Bubba's waiting - dipsheet

God damned teenagers... Evil or Very Mad
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Norton Anti-virus from Kazaa and it's working beautifully. Be careful though. Lots of the software on Kazaa is virus-ridden. Go for the file with the most users.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down loaded Norton Anti-Virus from Kaza? That even by my standards is a little reckless! I may be wrong but my experience with Norton is that you can give up on the updates.

AVG is good at finding viruses but basicly never does anything to fix them.

AHN is good but it is always days behind. Panda Software has an on-line routine but it usually crashes. I've never really downloaded their free version of their program per-se.

As far Microsoft update, that is the primary vehicle being used to spread the latest worms.

What I see as a new trend is posting links on say a place like this, you hit the link and the worm has been embedded I assume by using a proxy server, that dupes you into thinking you have hit the site directly.

One thing that is cool about Ahn is the little icon on the control bar will start flashing on and off, of course by that time...

At any rate I salute anybody crazy enough to down load Norton from Kaza!
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysteriousdeltarays wrote:
As far Microsoft update, that is the primary vehicle being used to spread the latest worms.

Why do you lie to us?
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At any rate I salute anybody crazy enough to down load Norton from Kaza!

Well I did and it works just fine. Including updates. It's already detected and killed 5 various worms and I only installed it a week ago.

There are still plenty of genuine people out there who want to share software etc. Not every internet user is a cyber-terrorist!

And the Microsoft update page is spreading virusus!!! Thats just funny!!! Think long and hard about how likely that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: