Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying electronics: Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Buying electronics: Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong? Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip to HK for the Chuseok holiday, and I'm wondering if anyone knows about the prices of electronics over there. Specifically, I want a digital camera, and either an MP3 player or a minidisc. I know that you can get good deals in Singapore, but how about HK? Should I wait until I go, or should I not bother and just buy it here?
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that question- I am going to Hong Kone next week. Is it worth taking the time to find a digital camera?
rachel phillips

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you go shopping here first. Get name business cards (myongam) from the stores that have cameras you're interested in, and write the features, make and model number on each card along with the price. Check the exchange rate for HK dollers in the newspaper, convert the won price to HK dollars, and note that on the cards as well. If you have several cards it may be more convenient to photocopy all of them onto one sheet of paper. When you find a similar camera in Hong Kong check it's price against the one you found in Korea. You will be able to tell at a glance which is the better price.

Something else to consider: getting after service from Hong Kong may be difficult.
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachel phillips wrote:
Why don't you go shopping here first. Get name business cards (myongam) from the stores that have cameras you're interested in, and write the features, make and model number on each card along with the price. Check the exchange rate for HK dollers in the newspaper, convert the won price to HK dollars, and note that on the cards as well. If you have several cards it may be more convenient to photocopy all of them onto one sheet of paper. When you find a similar camera in Hong Kong check it's price against the one you found in Korea. You will be able to tell at a glance which is the better price.

Uhn, because I already know how much they are here, and I'd like to know if I should buy it now or wait. If I can save money buy purchasing in HK, I'll wait. If electronics are not a significantly better deal in HK, I'll buy it here and now.
rachel phillips

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Uhn, because I already know how much they are here, and I'd like to know if I should buy it now or wait. If I can save money buy purchasing in HK, I'll wait. If electronics are not a significantly better deal in HK, I'll buy it here and now."[/quote]

Let me put this more simply. If you want to be sure of getting the best price wait. See what they cost there also. Compare prices. Then you will know for sure which is the better deal at that moment.

Seven years ago I bought an Epson printer in Hong Kong because it was much cheaper there. However, that information is now out of date. Heck it would be useless information for you if I had only bought the printer seven weeks ago.

Why is it useless for you now? Because prices change depending on all sorts of variables (exchange rates, labor costs, inventory overruns, overhead costs, taxes, your bargaining skills, seasonal sales, going-out-of-business sales, location of the shop...) There is just no way you are going to know *for sure* where you will get a better deal until you have asked the vendors directly how much they are charging and bargained them down as far as they'll go. Sure, generally speaking prices may be better (or worse, or the same) in Hong Kong, but you are not shopping 'generally.' You will have your own experience, which may be very different from what happens 'generally.'

If you don't want to bother with any of that you might as well go the 'instant gratification' route, buy now, and not think about it any more. I've heard prices are 'generally' better in Korea these days. There. Now don't you feel confident?
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you whether the prices are cheaper or not as I have not done any comparisons...but in general the idea of Hong Kong being a cheap place to buy electronics is not so true. You can get a good deal but you have to know where to go and how to haggle. There are stories in the HK newspapers all the time of visitors getting ripped off in HK. Whatever you do, don't buy on Nathan Road or any of the small camera shops with great prices in the windows. Check out "Fortress" it is your run of the mill electronics store...they have a website...so you can check on the prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: