Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep you posted I went to immigration (again) today and they said my visa would be fine until I get a letter of release.

I also went to the Uejonbu Labour Board with my friend (who is Korean).

I showed them my contract and my letter of resignation - they gave me a "court order" to show to my boss. This requires her to give me one months salary within 14 days - and no I am not to work between now and then.

In two weeks I will be free to get a new job.

Oh, and I am vacating my apartment tomorrow - not because I have to, but because I do not entirely trust my boss not to use physical force to remove me.

And yes, I have saved enough to last for a while here.

So far its astounding, but I think it will turn out OK.
Unsure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you. It makes my situation seem so much better. It's pretty stressful all same.
Unsure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the self respect comment, you've obviously had it pretty sweet Nelson. It takes you by surprise, when a manager tries to **** you over. At least the first time anyway...and they do play dirty here. Most people eventually get it together in the end and walk away, or put their foot down.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinsdad....
"These Koreans keep on about duty and custom, what I have seen is a bunch of back stabbing wimps, they are so weak, not surprised Japan have kicked their ass. They lie to your face, rip u off and then smile as if it's ok. I have never met an honest Director yet and I never will. They are a bunch of leeches as William has said. If your Diretor is ok, good, bt it's only a matter of time before they shaft u."

How very constructive and informative of you. This post is a wonder of openness and tolerance.
Is it possible Stalinsdad that sucker's boss is just one of the bad ones and that her character traits and behavior are not indicative of the entire population and culture of Korea?
Just like, does it mean that since you are at times vulgar, obnoxious and quite prejudicial that all westerners are like this?
A little perspective and relativism is needed here and thinking before you post would also be a great help.
Sucker got into a bad situation and his boss seems to be a bad one. I said seems because we (as usual) are only getting ONE side of the story here, that of the aggrieved party. I'm not saying sucker is lying here but we are getting only his side of the story and as in all stories involving human emotions and interactions, interlocutors have a tendency to paint the Tableau in a favorable light to themselves.

Last edited by Homer on Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalinsdad wrote:
These Koreans keep on about duty and custom, what I have seen is a bunch of back stabbing wimps, they are so weak, not surprised Japan have kicked their ass. They lie to your face, rip u off and then smile as if it's ok. I have never met an honest Director yet and I never will. They are a bunch of leeches as William has said. If your Diretor is ok, good, bt it's only a matter of time before they shaft u.

Man, dont agree with me if you're gonna word it like that.
Nelson606

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be living in a different country. I haven't experienced 90% of the crap that I read on this board. I've been in Seoul for about 6 weeks. I keep waiting for the crap to hit the fan, but so far I've had a great time and have been treated very well by everyone I've met. Other than the fact that the place smells like a sewer and I can't breath I'm in heaven.
matko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nuff said
Nelson606

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avatar is almost as cool as mine. ALLMOST.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, Nelson, there is the odd chance that you landed a great school.

People also have different expectations of their job coming over here. I thought that "small town" meant I'd be living next to a mountain and pining to see 3-story buildings. Little did I know Cheonan was just like every other frickin' city in Korea. -_-
phil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalinsdad, could it be that your obviously charming personality, subtle wit and tolerance towards others, contributed to your experiences here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: