Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about EPIK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: What do you think about EPIK? Reply with quote

Just wondering how you guys feel about EPIK. My boyfriend has just been offered a job with EPIK (through a recruiting company called A & T). The position is in Busan. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks.
long-term-player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: EPIK analysis Reply with quote

Have a look at http://www.efl.law.com
They have some pages written especially about this group,, well set out, raises some fascinating legal questions, and it is compared against others,, but all in all, the site seems to suggest its one of the better places..plus some comments you can find on Dave's site here too from the last few years
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: EPIK Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts about the EPIK recruitment programme:
================================================
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123037
Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK?
Posted By: barstoolprophet [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 3:50 p.m.
In Response To: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (Soon-to-beTeacher)
As a 3rd level I would avoid EPIK at all costs. the program is a failure and a joke. Every year they take more and more. Very few have had a good EPIK experience. You should be able to find a better all around job situation than EPIK can offer.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123038
Posted By: School Teacher
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 4:01 p.m.
EPIK does take out money from your pay packet. I'll talk level one. In a level one position they take about 86,000 won out a month.
Some things don't seem to change. You still don't get paid for the two week induction course. You also have to take a two week unpaid holiday between contracts. You don't get paid travel costs on travel schools anymore.If you leave after the first 50 week contract then you don't get severence pay. You only have 14 workdays off for sure a year that you must take during the summer and winter holidays. Yeah sure you normally end up with more but it doesn't allow you to plan a holidays.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123196
Posted By: Ex EPIK and Happy Now.
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2002, at 7:38 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (barstoolprophet)
Level 3 EPIK pay would be about the worst paying job in Korea. Why would you want to work in a program that starts off writing a 50 week contract to get out of paying you severence pay. A program that is too mean to pay you travel costs when they want you to work away from your main work location. A program that you have to wait five years to even hear about a 5% pay rise.A job that's too mean to pay for an induction training course. A public school job that only gives you 7 work days off twice a year besides public holidays. You might end up with more but don't count on it because it's not on the contract.
The EPIK program is the Program that can only get about 50 to 60 a year to join. JET in Japan can get and maintain about 7,000 within their program where as Korea can't even maintain 100 in their program. WHY? JOIN AND FIND OUT!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123271
Posted By: me [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2002, at 7:46 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (Spy Catcher)
i am currently teaching with the epik program and thought it is not heaven, it is much better than the hogwan hell that i experienced.
first, they do take out 86,000 won per month. that is for pension. you can claim all that money back when you go home.
second, it really depends where you are situated because there are people who really don't get a good deal but i will explain my situation and you can be the judge:
i teach 15-18 hours a week. i teach 2 classes of middle school students every morning. there is always a korean teacher in the class who helps me with translations and keeps all the kids in order. i teach a workshop in the after noons for middle and high school english teachers. this is very enjoyable since their english level is quite high. granted all teacher are not eager to be at a workshop, so only those who want to study come.
my morning classes are often at schools that are not my "home" school. i am paid travel money for when i go to those schools that is more than adequate.
i do get 14 working days vacation that should be taken during the school vacation but they are not too picky about that. and another 14 sick days. so you can figure out the math. and then every school holiday i have off, any exam day, or day when the students are on a trip or doing exercises etc.
third, it is a 50 week contract, which i think is a raw deal as well. but if i extent my contract by one month, they have to pay me the severence pay. so there are ways to work around it.
fourth, i am not sure why some people feel they are seen as the enemy. my korean coworkers are very friendly and i have been made really welcome in my school.
fifth, the nice thing about being part of the epik program is that you are a teacher. just that. you don't have to try and keep your students from quitting the hogwan or deal with all the political and business bs that i had to deal with regularly in a hogwan. and you don't have to mark exams like in university Smile
finally, in compared to the 8 plus classes a day i was teaching at the hogwan and the saturday classes (it was an ECC), plus no vacation days outside of the hogwan calendar (4 total in august) and the general stress free enviroment that i work in now, i wouldn't go back for 3 million. however, i am not a third level epik teacher. this year i am a second and i will renew and be a first level.
i know there will be responses from people saying that this is not the case for everyone and they will tell tales of things contradicting what i have said. but this is my experience and over all it has been a good one.
the best of luck!
ps: i think it will be impossible for you to get a job in seoul throught epik. last year of the 50 plus teachers, only one what assigned to seoul. keep that in mind.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123367
Re: The EPIK Severence Trap.
Posted By: Ha, Ha, Ha
Date: Thursday, 9 May 2002, at 6:37 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (me)
Your point about being able to recontract for a second year and leave after a months notice is not really on.
After you have worked your first fifty week contract then you have to take a two week unpaid holiday. You are provided with a return ticket to your home country for this. If you were to come back from your holiday and give a months notice then you would have to pay back thr return half of your airfare. So to outsmart EPIK you will have to drop two weeks pay plus your return airfare and then pay for a ticket home. Ha, ha are you crazy?
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123275
Posted By: barstoolprophet [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2002, at 8:04 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (Soon-to-be-Teacher)
Look old threads......I suppose this takes place every years since 1997 when the program went down the shoot.
There are too many negative, horror stories from others to get into. I worked for them 97 and they just flat out ripped me off on my severance...by claiming some "funky new tax" that they could never explain clearly......PS the guy that took the money is behind bars for taking bribes from some government body......Avoid EPIK at any level if you want a good Korean experience
ECC are not reguarded as being a good payer. You as you say have been lucky with your placement in EPIK. It's a lucky dip with not many winners.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123408
EPIK for 4 years
Posted By: Thomas [email protected]
Date: Thursday, 9 May 2002, at 9:53 a.m.
In Response To: Yeah,Send Me an E-mail (bn)
I was in EPIK from 1997-2001 and had pretty good placements. If you want to read about the pros and cons, look in the Job Information Journal (Korea) for my posts labelled "4 Years of Epik" and the follow-up.
As a side note, if you are Korean-American, be advised that SOME Korean-Americans, especially women tend to be treated quite poorly in the (public school) EPIK program. Being "Korean", they are expected to speak Korean, act Korean and follow the deference expectations that the (male) principals and supervisors may expect.
EPIK can be great, lots of fun with short hours, guaranteed pay and (usually) good housing. Or, it can be horrible. You will not know exactly where you are going until after the orientation (worthless program that you aren't payed for... bring money so you can while away the time hanging out). As far as being put in Seoul, I doubt it. There are very few openings and they tend to go to those who have stayed or know someone. Good luck and check the posts at the job Information Journal
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123412
Re: Two Sides to Every Story
Posted By: Karma
Date: Thursday, 9 May 2002, at 10:29 a.m.
A couple of the posts about EPIK seemed to be based on a simple and very general comparisons of it to Hagwons or Universities. Remember that all three are different. EPIK is based on the structure of the working conditions and life of a Korean public school teacher.
An ESL Unversity job in Korea is based on being a no-status adjunct teacher of foreign languages, not a Professor of foreign languages. Adjuncts get no respect in Korea nor in the United States either. They are not tenure track teachers. They don't publish or present at poster sessions. These are usually just people with an MA who are employed under the status of part-time or adjunct. Therefore, the regular rules of University employment do not apply to them. If they publish, work towards a PhD, then maybe they can work out a nice place for themselves, or if they are well liked it is also possible.
Then there is the private industry or hagwans. These are businesses, nothing more. If you work in one of these places, then you should consider it no different than if you were working for some guy named Bob or Dick back home. If you are not making money for Bob, he may fire you. That is just capitalism. Its not really personal and teachers should not take it that way. Make money for your boss and you will be liked.
Each of these basic structures has something to offer. It depends on the individual. For a career teacher, EPIK may be a good long-term opportunity. For someone interested in learning to publish or present at conferences and to add to the existing literature in the field, and willing to bet their future on it, then a University job may be the best option.
And for someone who just wants to socialize and make money, then a Hagwon may be the best option. This is just a generalization. Variations can be applied.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123438
Re: Those Were The Day's My Friend!
Posted By: Ha, Ha Ha. From Then To Now!
Date: Thursday, 9 May 2002, at 3:36 p.m.
Korretta the old EPIK program. Then And now.
Lets take level one. Then $2,000 U.S a month now a little under $1,500.
Holidays in the good old days you got all the school holidays off. Now 14 days.
Travel schools. Before 20,000 won per day travel allowence for travel schools. Now nothing. One bloke on this board said he is getting paid costs but I wasn't a year back.
Before you were paid 60,000 won for the first hour and 35,000 won per hour for each additional for the day for teacher training in the school holidays. Now you don't get paid at all, you do it for free now.
Yes, they even paid you severence pay if you left at the end of the first year. Now they don't. Oh and the training program you were paid for attending I believe also, now no.
Yes come and join the EPIK program and watch pay and conditions get taken from you year by year. What a joke it is to work for EPIK. Why do you think they can't get anybody. The above is the truth not lies, just truth about the program.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123736
Re: An overview of the EPIK Program.
Posted By: William
Date: Saturday, 11 May 2002, at 6:57 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Yes Here is The Other Side/ (Karma)
EPIK Started off under a program called KORRETTA. When they started the program up they payed in keeping with what they wanted. A level one position paid won to the exchange rate of two thousand dollars U.S. Other conditions were also good.
EPIK latter droped some conditions along with unpeging the wage to the U.S. dollar. Then along came the IMF crisis. What did EPIK do? EPIK stopped paying extra for teacher training courses during the school holidays and asked for volontiers for teaching Korean teachers. EPIK allowed the level one position to drop under one thousand dollars U.S. a month. Then they made it compulsury to teach within the school holiday period without any additional pay thereby cutting our holidays.
Anyway to cut a long story short the EPIK contract allows the school etc now where you are employed to keep you teaching regular classes and special classes for all but forteen work days a year with no additional pay.
So we are brought in to Korea to actually teach Korean English teachers English but are not given the respect of actually being teachers.
After EPIK dropped the pay rate and took away most of the perks and conditions they found that they could no longer attract experienced teachers so they started to take anyone they could get.
Now after many complaints from Korean teachers EPIK is being more careful in selecting new teachers. They now want real teachers but refuse to offer even the conditions that they give to their own teachers. This is resulting in intakes of around 50 t0 60 teachers after they advertise in about eight countries.
If the EPIK program gave conditions in keeping with public school teaching then they might start to attract more teachers. As it is the program is a non event.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123758
Re: Has anyone suffered through EPIK?
Posted By: Alexanda
Date: Saturday, 11 May 2002, at 11:36 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone taught through EPIK? (barstoolprophet)
Yep EPIK is a joke. Three years on from when then they cheated teachers who had gone two years or more with the program and they still haven't come clean. The provience where EPIKs were cheated badly on severence was Jollanamdo. Even the EPIK management won't send teachers there nowdays! They have never paid the teachers that were cheated even after three years.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123829
Re: Has anyone suffered through EPIK?
Posted By: Old EPIK
Date: Sunday, 12 May 2002, at 2:09 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Has anyone suffered through EPIK? (Alexanda)
They tried to go back on their word with me after I arrived in Korea as to my pay level but I sorted them out.This was a common practise of EPIK to agree to one level at the interview in your home country. How did they get away with it you ask? Simple by doing the paper work after you arrived in country.
The other little game they used to play was to break their promise of putting your pay level up after a year. You would be told that you hahn't been with with them a full year just 50 weeks so you weren't due a pay rise. Lies, lies, lies yes that's EPIK for you! There's a reason nobody will work for them hardly these days.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=123860
Re: My EPIK experience
Posted By: Dave Woelke [email protected]
Date: Sunday, 12 May 2002, at 5:28 p.m.
My EPIK experience started out fine but ended badly. I ended up breaking a non-contract. How did I do that I still wonder.
The tale: I signed a one year contract in Gwangju to work in a middle school. The pay was fine and the conditions were pretty good and all was well. I had no complaints. At the end of my contract, I was set to go home. My school, and subsequently the Gwangju board of education could not find a replacement and asked me to keep teaching until a new replacement was found. I agreed and actually stayed another 6 months. Still no new teacher. I told them that the extension was up and I had to go back to Canada. The school was sad to see me go and we parted on good terms. They paid my full salary, severence and purchased my airfare home.
After a year, I wanted to come back to Korea. I applied at a government school and lo and behold, immigration refused an E2 visa as I was reported as a person who broke an EPIK contract.
Here I was doing EPIK a favor by staying on and they reported me as AWOL. The lesson I learned I suppose is that from now on, no more favors... everything by the book.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124007
Posted By: Reggi
Date: Monday, 13 May 2002, at 2:59 p.m.
In Response To: Re: My EPIK experience (Dave Woelke)
I broke an EPIK contract but gave a month's notice and got a release letter from them.I got sick of having to deal with a stupid immature young lady co-teacher.I'm happy to be out of EPIK.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124228
Re: Jeollanamdo EPIK Language Program
Posted By: Keith Donnally.
Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2002, at 3:48 p.m.
In Response To: Jeollanamdo Language Program (JB)
Jeollanamdo still owes some of their ex-EPIK teachers severence pay. The reason they call themselves The Jeollanamdo language program is that even EPIK wont send them teachers.
They will send you to Damyang to a teacher training centre during school holidays where they are continually changing conditions for what you do there.
Most positions with this education have you mainly teaching teachers not students.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124267
Re: Public Schools
Posted By: Terry
Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2002, at 8:17 p.m.
In Response To: Public Schools (oncetwice)
In Korea there is EPIK (English Program In Korea) which runs as a national program and puts foreign teachers into public schools. They intended to have over 2,000 into the program but only have less than 100 due to the way the program is run. Do a Net search under EPIK and you will find details. Read properly and you will see that you miss two week's pay a year. If you leave after the first contract then you get no severence pay.Holiday pay isn't paid as a lump sum either at the end of the contract.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124314
Posted By: Tom Thumb
Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2002, at 1:28 a.m.
In Response To: Re: My EPIK experience (Dave Woelke)
The trouble with trying to go by the book but is that EPIK itself doesn't even go by what it writes. The sum result of having about 2,000 go through the books since they started the program is now obvious as they can't get people anymore to join. The Japanese have a waiting list with the JET program to get on. Most EPIKs don't even wait to the end of their 50 week contract before they head home out of a bad deal.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124386
Re: Actually, EPIK Pays Eight Weeks Less Than!!!!
Posted By: Gregory Peck.
Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2002, at 3:13 p.m.
In Response To: actually, JETs get 3.6 a year...asah! (sammy's mom)
If you ring around the different education offices here in Korea you'll probally find a position any time you want one.EPIK can't close the books at all as not many see the wonderful first 50 week contract through these days. Like what is there to keep you after the first six months when you no longer owe them for airfare? No lump sum holidays, no severence pay just the one way ticket home that's it.
Now that terrible hogwan job will usually pay severence pay plus lump sum holidays at the end of the contract plus you'll be another two weeks in pocket due to the fact that you didn't have to do two weeks of unpaid training.THERE'S EIGHT WEEKS MORE PAY FROM A HOGWON OVER EPIK if you leave after being in country for 52 weeks. EPIK requires you to be in country for 52 weeks when you add in the training course.
EPIK is a push bike with a flat tyre!!!!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124534
Re: EPIK Shorts You For Two Months Drinking.
Posted By: Soju Thirst
Date: Thursday, 16 May 2002, at 6:39 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Actually, EPIK Pays Eight Weeks Less Than!!!! (Gregory Peck.)
Even a drunk can understand this math equation. No wonder the program has failed when they treat us like fools. Who on earth would go for a job that ripped you off for two months pay up frount.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124739
Re: Agh, an undercover EPIK Rip Off.
Posted By: Gregory Peck.
Date: Friday, 17 May 2002, at 4:29 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Jeollanamdo Oh, No It's Them. (jeollanamdoer)
Another location that offers no severence pay with a fifty week contract on the first year. Big classes of up to 40 students but only 14 work days off acording to contract to be taken within the fifty week contract period. What a joke no wonder many EX-EPIKs are happy nowadays working for hogwans. Step up from EPIK get a hogwon job and get paid decently.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125091
Epik has no takers
Posted By: Jagger
Date: Sunday, 19 May 2002, at 4:49 a.m.
Rumours abound that no one has applied for the Korean government Epik program,, and the web site indicates they have extended the application once again (3rd time).
I guess they don't understand that being 'ripped off' with no severance pay and 2 weeks unpaid training is just not what we do in the west....not to mention working for the lowest hourly rate in Korea which might influence some!
Maybe through sites like this contracts such as this will be forced to 'own up and be accountable' and start to play fair? maybe?
And more embarrasing (no rumour) is that there are so few Epiks left that Government school teachers around Korea are being trained in the summer in Private Universities at big expense to the Office of Education. This was formerly the Epiks job! Now University western teachers will get extra pay to teach the Korean teachers..(good) Our campus is expecting 240 teachers in the summer for a 4 week course and we will get 3.8 milion extra (not a bad summer) amazing stuff....
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125148
Re: Epik has no takers
Posted By: Andrew Ex Jeollanamdo
Date: Sunday, 19 May 2002, at 3:24 p.m.
In Response To: Epik has no takers (Jagger)
Yes I'm happy to be no longer working under the EPIK system. Last night I rang a friend who is still working for Jeollanamdo EPIK to tell him that The POSCO Educational Foundation was advertising three positions for English teachers in Junior high and Elementary paying U.S.$1,900 along with bonus and severance payout at the end of the first year of $3,200 plus a monthly lunch allowance.
I found William in a state due to the fact that he was being blamed by the EPIK supervisor for what I and others had complained about on this board on the brakedown of working conditions under EPIK. I do not consider pulling the attention of would be EPIKs to what is clearly written on a contract paper to be out of line.
We as foreigners should be helping new starters in ESL as to what should be written in a contract plus how to conpare one contract to another.
I had one job blocked of recent that I had arranged at a private high school in Gwangju plus a friend was allowed to travel for an interview at considerable cost to be left standing without an interview because of his age. Korea has many good people but like everywhere these days there are the others. I learnt how to fight Korean style these days but I don't do it at the expense of my friends.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125250
Re: Advice from people on the EPIK program??
Posted By: Asked it already [email protected]
Date: Monday, 20 May 2002, at 2:14 a.m.
In Response To: Advice from people on the EPIK program?? (linda)
(tried to email you but it bounced back as undeliverable)
I asked this very same question not too long ago and decided against applying. Here's some of the feedback that I got on the subject: http://www.lostinkorea.com/lost/archives/00000010.htm
After getting a bunch of negative comments on EPIK, a few people did respond with positive things to say, but I'm still going to stay away from it. Just a gut feeling. Plus I want to go to Seoul which I heard is difficult to do with them. If you do go with their program, I hope it works out well for you!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125308
Re: Advice from people on the EPIK program??
Posted By: joe blow [email protected]
Date: Monday, 20 May 2002, at 7:05 a.m.
In Response To: Advice from people on the EPIK program?? (linda)
About the EPIK Program:
Facts #1
First Level ELI : 2,100,000 won per month.
Second Level ELI : 1,900,000 won per month.
Third Level ELI : 1,700,000 won per month.
Fact #2
Single housing is never guaranteeed.
Fact #3
No guaranteed of location so you could be placed anywhere in Korea including the boonies.
Fact #4
You don't get paid for your two week orientation program before you start.
Fact #5
Once you finish the orientation you are the responsiblity of your POE. So your contract depends on them.
Fact #6
You work 8 hours a day. Yes thay say 22 hours a week teaching but then you do other things all day, observation lessons, etc.
Is it a good deal? Not for 2,100,000 and not for all the BS.
Get a hagwon job!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125438
EPIK and WORLD CUP: Contradictions awaiting
Posted By: Epicurian
Date: Monday, 20 May 2002, at 8:33 p.m.
The word about is that while some Korean departments have sensitivity to foreigners (trade departments and international affairs and Seoul office of education) the education ministry overall and some provincial cities/areas have EPIK programs effectively overseen to put it politely by very narrow minded officials who have not an iota of an idea why there should be any foreign teachers at all( Thus why EPIK has 100-150 and JET in Japan has 6,000 foreign teachers) Korea for Koreans is the underlying viewpoint combined wuth a string of Anti-American feeling. You can't build a wonderful international image with World Cup on one hand and have such a failed treatment of your foreigner workers and teachers. Even Korean elementary school teachers,of a few years experience, get better paid than EPIKs with more teaching experience and teaching certificates. The pay scales for some EPIK foreigners are now clearly discriminatory though on the positive less hours than lasts year but effectively less break time. You can't have it both ways-world cup fanfare then rascist remarks behind most EPIKs backs about them leaked by some kyopos they thought they could trust.
The education ministry needs to upgrade its treatment and pay of its least paid workers who do the grunt work through the school system which is full of cross-cultural misunderstandings and insensitivity (and some putrid poor physical conditions) If they can put on such a big show about paying several foreign professors 100,000 dollars how about some decent treatment for qualified people who have shown loyaly. And that is the best advertising to get the number and quality of applicants that EPIK desparately needs. EPIK needs to become a program for which participants and all Korean will be proud rather than a sore to the generally improving image of Korea
=======================================
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=127558
EPIK'S New Face Planed For 2003
Posted By: Wondering Why Some Are Excited!
Date: Saturday, 1 June 2002, at 8:54 p.m.
If EPIK only changes the pay rate without the other conditions then you would get 37,000,000 won if you left at the end of the first year in Korea. For this top level pay it looks like you will need a masters degree. You will have only 14 work days off according to contract and work a 22hour five day week and be at school from 9AM to 5PM.
If you were to work for Yonsei University's FLI now then you would get about 33,000,000 won if you left at the end of a year along with 10 weeks of paid holidays and a four day work week.
If you were to work for Korea University at Jochiwon now then you would get about 37,400,000 won if you left at the end of the first year along with 8 weeks of paid holidays plus some paid overtime.
So if you are a fool then you will jump in now for 24.100,000 won with EPIK and wait a year before they offer you less than you can get elsewhere now.

====================================
Posted By: Anda
Date: Thursday, 12 December 2002, at 3:05 p.m.
In Response To: "http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710155153" (marks)
Let's see! After you finish the induction course you are handed over to a city or provincial office of education and become their property. They in turn hand you over to a school but you can if you have problems contact either your foreign go between or Korean EPIK supervisor at the office of education that you fall under.
The EPIK office does nothing of any importance once you leave there after the induction course.
You are in fact expected to go through your Korean co-teacher if you have a problem. After that the vice principal then the principal. A schools principal is a very high position here. Anyway that's it!

======================================
Korean Job Discussion Forum
epik update 2003
Posted By: korean-insider
Date: Thursday, 12 December 2002, at 8:18 p.m.
A month ago I told you about next years much expanded recruitment program; that will begin in March with many new positions created at a local level; then next September, Epiks who are Level One will get a pay rise from 2.1 million to 2.2 million. That is fact: watch the Epik board-homepage in February for the Official announcement. Other Epik levels will not change their pay scales. Also watch the news about additional holidays.. seems an attempt to woo people back from the university scene! but not to place the program as an equal to the JET or NET professional programs.
[email protected]

=====================================
Re: The Ragtag Epik Program
Posted By: Anda
Date: Tuesday, 24 December 2002, at 4:45 p.m.
In Response To: "http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710156878" (sisal)
EPIK can be a hell if you get stuck with the wrong type of co-teacher but it can be good also. Hogwans and universities are the same in as much as you have to fit in with the Koreans that you work for, or with.
Each area of EPIK has a different supervisor. Some are good and some are bad. Most do try to fix things but normally your Korean co-teachers word is taken over yours and this can be a problem if they are making up lies like one I had once in Gwangju but the supervisor was fair I consider.
Why don't you post your problems and see if someone can offer helpful advise.

====================================
Catch-22
Posted By: sisal <"mailto:[email protected]?subject=Catch-22">
Date: Wednesday, 25 December 2002, at 5:57 p.m.
In Response To: "http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710156893" (Anda)
Thanks for your concern,The school where I work has great,supportive people.Unfortunately,the problem lies with the provincial office and office of education.Apparently there is some kind of political conflict going on between my school and these people,Apparently it was going on before I even came here to teach.I have been told that there was an EPIK teacher at this school two years ago(they say she was excellent),but the same problem existed back then and she finally threw up her hands in dismay and left after her contract was up,although the school wanted her to stay another year.When there have been problems my school has gone to the provincial office,office of ed. etc. and tried to get them solved,but usually with no results.I know for a fact that the people at my school have been doing their utmost.And the people who SHOULD be doing something...EPIK program...disclaim all responsibility...referring the matter back to the provincial officials.Catch 22
So,,,essentially..i am left with two choices...put up with the nonsense ...or leave.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

If one is crazy enough to come to Korea this year then EPIK would be one of the better choices. Reason being that if anything happens then a goverment position / employer is likely to be in more of a position to get you out of Korea than a hogwan is.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: EPIK analysis Reply with quote

long-term-player wrote:
Have a look at http://www.efl.law.com
They have some pages written especially about this group,, well set out, raises some fascinating legal questions, and it is compared against others,, but all in all, the site seems to suggest its one of the better places..plus some comments you can find on Dave's site here too from the last few years

EFL Law is great for giving advice about EFL law, and that's about it.

Virtually all the schools and recruiters it recommends are SKETCHY!
long-term-player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: all the employers Reply with quote

1) it looks like a major complaint about Epik, the no severance pay, is no longer an issue as they will pay it in the new contract if you read their blurb : and their holidays have jumped to over one full month off in the new contract: so much of the long ramble above relates to the past, and may not apply after the new contract begins whenever;

2) iconsfanatic, i only see a couple of recruiters listed; one I know in Korea and it has, I heard in from my uni offsiders, a very good reputation, so I wonder where you saw 'all' the sketchy ones? That can only relate to 'one' recruiter, (2-1 =1) so one must assume you are from NZ where that recruiter seems to exist, and have the inside oil, or you are a "recruiter yourself"! And if they are sketchy, why not inform the lawyers at the site, as well as here - then everyone gets the good information; one would assume lawyers would not post without carefully checking the facts, unlike a few posters. Just a thought.
weatherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your educational district head. I worked for one district for one year and I was treated great. They moved me to a new district during my second year and I hated my boss, housing, and working conditions so I left. It really depends on where you end up.
Pusanpoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Sheep bard Reply with quote

Why does iconoblastic blast away at so many pointless things? He hates run ons but then runs on against a recruiting white list that is in the early but serious making. And like all such reputable lists, they require solid evidence. in determing what should be on them. So let him speak now or forever hold his peep-or was that sheep. Excuse me, I do tend to mix my allegories when confronted by dribble.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: When I was with EPIK. . . Reply with quote

When I was with EPIK it had its head up its ass.

For example: we taught three hours a day but had to be there from 9:00 to 6:00 every day (got to go home a little earlier in the winter months). Somedays we didn't teach at all but we still had to sit there for hours. The thinking is that if we were being paid like Korean teachers we should follow the same hours as Korean teachers (apparently Korean teachers aren't allowed to leave school before a designated time).
The powers that be said that we should use the time to plan for classes. Perhaps that would be a good idea, but in my case I taught on a repeating 5-day schedule -- every five days I taught new students so I recycled my lesson plans. I could only tweak and improve things so much.

On the upside, expectations weren't terribly high and they always paid on time (government job).
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they say - it all depends on the district and the whims of its director.

Me? I had good pay, 4 mos off a year, and didn't have to hang around my school when I wasn't teaching. It was by far the best job I had in Korea.

KoK
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bard Reply with quote

Pusanpoe wrote:
Why does iconoblastic blast away at so many pointless things? He hates run ons but then runs on against a recruiting white list that is in the early but serious making. And like all such reputable lists, they require solid evidence. in determing what should be on them.

"Reputable list"? "Solid evidence"? What a load of bollocks.

The evidence is in half the posts in this thread. When so many people are adamantly anti-EPIK, doesn't that mean something to you?

Sounds to me like you've got a stake in EPIK or EFL-Law.com somehow...
Pusanpoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Do you feel lucky-EFL punks? Make my day-try EPIK Reply with quote

I wish I did have a stake in EFL Law given how superior it is to anything out there. And how does Iconoblastic figure I am all for EPIK? Again, I refer to his muddleheadedness. EPIK seems to be far better than most programmes I have experienced (excluding most unis) or been made aware of through readings, research etc-at least in relation to Korea. Of course local conditions vary and can color ones view of the programme as a whole. The central EPIK authorities seem happy to let locals decide adminstratively most of what they want to do with the EPIKs which has made it possible for local despotism and inflexibility at one end and a "write your own job" at the other end. This range can be seen even between two school with EPIKs in the same district. So EPIk is still pretty well a crap shot for any new recruit. The question is-do you feel lucky? Try EPIK if you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: