Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

de-worming products?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boodleheimer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: de-worming products? Reply with quote

anybody used them? any recommendations?

(i was in china for three years, okay? i'm... concerned.)
sistersarah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my father-in-law makes sure we take them once a year, so yes, they're here. i'm afraid i don't know the korean word for them, though. i'm sure someone on the board knows the term.
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife knows about pills.

I must remember to ask her the names and post them tonight.

We take them spring and autumn, took them twice a year back home too.
kat2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you know if you had worms? I'm ignorant, but I would liek an explanation of why you would take them twice a year (unless you live in the third world).
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The just in case mentally basically.

Spicy food?
Wierd dreams?

hahaha.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KW, it's ZENTEL from GlaxoSmithKline. It's generally thought to be good if you eat a lot of raw fish, which I do, and especially since I've cut back on/cut out red meat.

Say "jen-tel" to Koreans, and they'll set you up. This country had African levels of worm infestation (stomach worm?) well into the 1970s. Over 50% of the population in areas of Korea. It's not been a problem or even discussed in advanced countries -- outside of homes with pets and toddlers -- in living memory, so the mere thought of worms in our bodies tends to surprise and horrify us.
Boodleheimer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JongnoGuru wrote:
KW, it's ZENTEL from GlaxoSmithKline. It's generally thought to be good if you eat a lot of raw fish, which I do, and especially since I've cut back on/cut out red meat.

Say "jen-tel" to Koreans, and they'll set you up. This country had African levels of worm infestation (stomach worm?) well into the 1970s. Over 50% of the population in areas of Korea. It's not been a problem or even discussed in advanced countries -- outside of homes with pets and toddlers -- in living memory, so the mere thought of worms in our bodies tends to surprise and horrify us.

great, thank you!
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those pills are sold over the counter in any pharmacy. They're cheap. They apparently kill almost anything in the gut. I heard schoolkids take them regularly. Mention it Koreans there may be some embarrassed response. Kind of blows the 'healthy food' idea out of the water.

Composition
Uses To treat worms in intestines, such as round worm, threadworm, whipworm, hook-worm, tape worm
Side effects * Nausea, vomiting, changes in liver enzyme, reversible hair loss, discomfort in stomach
Use with Care Allergy to the drug
Pregnancy
Not used in Liver and kidney impairment
Breast feeding

http://www.doctorndtv.com/drugs/detailmulti.asp?id=1383
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice Jongno. My wife said the same about raw food. I remember some guy said he had some test done when he moved from Korea to Taiwan. Maybe he worms and didn't know it.

My wife said Zentel is one brand but where she works they don't sell that brand. Do Koreans pronounce Zentel Zen-tel or Gen-tal?

If you ask for 구충제, (Gu-chung-jye) you'll get worm pills.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horangi Munshin wrote:
Do Koreans pronounce Zentel Zen-tel or Gen-tal?

They say "Jen-Tel" -- 젠텔.
brakattack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which one should I say to the pharmacist? 젠텔 있습니까? or 구충제 있습니까?

Oh man I thought I had hemorrhoids for the longest time but I'm pretty sure now I have pinworms. The itching just won't go away. Yuck. I'm totally grossed out and I've been losing sleep from this for a few months now. I really hope I caught it from the kids at school because I like to think that I am a pretty hygienic person otherwise.
brento1138

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be very sanitary and still get worms in Korea. It's completely outside of your control. Of course there is the raw seafood problem, but this is very small compared to eating products contaminated with raw pork.

Just from personal experience, I remember several times while eating in a kalbi or samgyeopsal restaurant that the adjuma workers would come by and cut the raw pork meat with scissors, and then look at our kimchi, and cut that up too. With the same scissors! Or they'd hover the scissors (dripping with raw meat contamination) over top of the vegetables. I asked my Korean friends and co-workers about this and they assumed it was normal. Yet they also showed concern at my concern and realized that this practice was not sanitary.

So, if you've ever eaten vegetables which have even been touched by scissors with raw meat, you're at risk.

There is one type of parasite which lives in pig meat and travels to the brain in humans and causes mild cognitive problems. It's usually contracted during childhood, but it's still possible to get it into adult hood. I remember a friend who was a doctor in the US told me that he would be able to tell people from Mexico and the USA apart just from MRIs of the brain. The people from Mexico usually had a different looking MRI due to the damage caused by parasites living in the brain. Of course, in Mexico they would eat infected products that have come into contact with raw pork on an almost daily basis, as standard hygienic practices were not the norm in most parts of Mexico.
brakattack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I've had this problem for about 8 months now. The constant itching is driving me nuts and 구충제 hasn't seemed to help. I think I need to see a doctor.

All jokes aside, does anyone know of any English speaking proctologists (butt doctors) in Seoul? It would be super helpful. I've never had this problem before coming to Korea and its incredibly frustrating.
eat_yeot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivermectin.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakattack wrote:
Ok so I've had this problem for about 8 months now. The constant itching is driving me nuts and 구충제 hasn't seemed to help. I think I need to see a doctor.

All jokes aside, does anyone know of any English speaking proctologists (butt doctors) in Seoul? It would be super helpful. I've never had this problem before coming to Korea and its incredibly frustrating.

There are 비뇨기과 everywhere. That's a urologist often frequented by men for various problems. I'm pretty sure they could help you, probably know some English if the place is modern, or could refer you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: