Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepted a job, now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Accepted a job, now what? Reply with quote

I posted this over in the question and answer forum but I'll post it here too.

I accepted a job two weeks ago and since then have heard absolutely nothing from the company. I've already mailed the documents over. I'm planning on calling them tonight because I have no idea what my status is. I'm not even sure what kind of visa I"m going to be going on. (F-4 or E-2) I emailed them last week but so far, no response.

Should I be worried? Does this mean the company has forgotten about me or decided they no longer need me? I'm getting anxious.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Believe me, I know how you feel. I've been on a rollercoaster for the last 2 months. Sometimes it takes a while for the school to receive the documents, plus being the busy season at schools, maybe the director hasn't gotten around to going to immigration yet. Even if they have, sometimes it takes a week or more to process, and then your visa slip has to be mailed back to you (if you are getting your visa before entering Korea).
I live in Newfoundland and I recently had to do all this. My documents were sent by courier. They arrived in Korea in 10 days. Then, the director waited a week before going to immigration. My documents were at immigration for a week, and then mailed back to me...which took about another week. Therefore, almost a month for me!
It's easy to say "Don't worry"...but I know how you feel. So, I would say if it is really bothering you, contact the school by phone or email and just ask them if everything is going smooth.
Best of luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alecng

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same Here. I got a job offer on July 4th, I've sent all my documents they required to the school on July 8th. I called them four weeks ago, They said it takes three weeks for the visa application (E2). Until now, I still don't have the visa they promised they are going to send me. I emailed the guy a number of times, but I get no response at all. I'm planning to call the guy tonight as well, anyone has comments or ideas what I should do.
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like you guys are having a rough go of it. I just mailed all my documents on Friday and they are already there, I sent them UPS. My director is taking them to immigration in the moring. My flight reservation has already been made by the school. Since there is no time for them to send me all the paerwork so I can finish getting everything processed here in Canada the school will send me on a VISA run to Japan shortly after I arrive in Korea. Best of luck to you all. The only thing I can suggest is keep the lines of communication open between you and the director of the school. I also didn't use a recruiter, maybe thats why things are going a little easier for me.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go through a recruiter either. I applied directly to the school and I've been talking with one of the director's ever since.

I've heard that things take a long time to process in Korea I guess I'm just used to the North American style of at least informing the potential employee about what is happening, even if just to say things are in the works.

Well, I guess impatient me will just have to wait it out!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Well,You Could Pray Reply with quote

You could pray.Sorry.Seriously:
1.The TESOL situation in Korea is a mess,especially with the hakwons(private schools).Do not expect most hakwon jobs to approach the stability,etc. of a job in your home country.
2.If you do come to Korea,do not burn all of your bridges.Have at least one option in case it does not work out.Also,bring enough funds in case you have to leave suddenly.
3.Do not trust them much,especially hakwon owners.
4.Good luck. Smile
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it doesn't take that long. Once you've submitted all the correct paperwork, it should take only a wek, 10 days max before your visa clearance is ready. Your way to Osaka is then clear. Doing it from overseas will only take 1 or 2 days longer due to postage delay.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understood with "my" hagwon (I'm still very wary) there wasn't a need for me to go on a visa run to Osaka. I would get everything processed here in Canada. They would basically need to get my documents over to immigration and then courier them back to me so I could then send them, with my passport, to the consulate.

Or did I maybe misunderstand? Do most do a run through Japan?
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah, sorry I meant when you're starting a new job while already in Korea. You can indeed get your visa processed, and fly in on your E2 from Canada.Once you've gotten your visa clearance form (the blue one), you go to the Korean consulate and they should give you the E2 stamp on that day.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get used to this... koreans communicate this way.... if they haven't called you in two (2) weeks then you need to have some "noonchi" to understand they don't want you....

find another job....
CanKorea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, this is not good news. They could at the very least let people know that they're no longer wanted. If they have dumped me then I still need to get all that documentation back. What are the odds on that?

Argh, Korea is frustrating me and I'm not even there!
alecng

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CanKorea, what school were you applying? Mine was Kimpo SLP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: