Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little school on the hill.... stay away....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Little school on the hill.... stay away.... Reply with quote

They are posting again and again looking for teachers. By law, schools/businesses are required to pay 100% of housing for those that they sponsor. This school offers to pay some of the rent. What a joke! All schools/businesses sign sponsor forms with immigration stating that they will pay for ALL housing and airfare, fines, etc. for the person they are sponsoring. If they don't sign this sponsor form, no visa is issued. The owner of this school has a BAD attitude. Her nose is way up in the air. Five minutes after talking with her, you can see right through her. This school has gone through many teachers. They want slaves. The teachers room is SMALL! Real small. The owner nit picks on everything. And she is a back stabber. Do a search on this site. I'm glad I turned down the job especially after the teacher who took the position did the "run." The contract will change, you'll end up doing more classes and the pay is too low.
I don't have an ax to grind; I just don't want others to get screwed. And until we all stop signing bad contracts, it won't get better in korea.

City: Seoul, Korea
Location: Chongdam-dong, Kangnam-gu, The Little School On The Hill

Work Condition:
* Five days (Monday ~ Friday)/week
* No teacher rotation (except for summer/winter program, a temporary filing in for a colleague�s vacation or sick day)

* Three Meetings per week (9:00 a.m. Monday / Wednesday / Friday)

* Option #1 9:00 a.m. ~ 3:00 p.m.(duty hour) for Preschoolers
n 5 teaching sessions during above duty hour
n 1 hour lunch break during above duty hour
n Support E-2 visa
n Comfortable and Professional Working Environment
n Organized teaching material and classroom
n Total 10 days (summer/winter) vacation a year and Korean National Holidays
n Housing: Rent subsidy by 50% of total rental fee (Maximum 250,000Kwon)
n Health Insurance & National Pension: 50 % / 50 %
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Little school on the hill.... stay away.... Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
They are posting again and again looking for teachers. By law, schools/businesses are required to pay 100% of housing for those that they sponsor. This school offers to pay some of the rent. What a joke! All schools/businesses sign sponsor forms with immigration stating that they will pay for ALL housing and airfare, fines, etc. for the person they are sponsoring. If they don't sign this sponsor form, no visa is issued.

Incorrect.

They are required to ensure you have it, not that they agree to pay for it.

Quote:
The owner of this school has a BAD attitude.

This from the person who just went on a rant about a law that doesn't exist...

Quote:
Her nose is way up in the air. Five minutes after talking with her, you can see right through her. This school has gone through many teachers. They want slaves. The teachers room is SMALL! Real small.

Time out. You use the teachers room? This, and the school has a only one break during the day in which you can leave to have lunch. Would you have ever used the teaching room for more than a few seconds?

Quote:
The owner nit picks on everything. And she is a back stabber. Do a search on this site. I'm glad I turned down the job especially after the teacher who took the position did the "run." The contract will change, you'll end up doing more classes and the pay is too low.

What is the pay? Unless math escapes me, it's for a 100 hour contract which you may not be factoring in. Plus you're labelling facts you aren't backing up. She's a backstabber? She nitpicks? Explain.

Quote:
I don't have an ax to grind; I just don't want others to get screwed. And until we all stop signing bad contracts, it won't get better in korea.

Lovely speech. But nothing else you said is either correct or relevant.... Just saying....
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some different info than I do, I'd like to hear it. Re: housing required by law.
The form that I have from immigration states verbatim: "I will assume, without reservation, whole responsibility for: Full maintence and logistic support including defrayment of all living expenses incurred by him during his stay in Korea." "Transportation fees upon departure from Korea." Payment of all charges including fines and compensation for all damages incurred by his violation or illegal acts of the immigration law."
This form is still required by immigration as of yesterday when I went to Seoul Immigration for someone else.
I'm not going to get into a debate with you over every item. My post is pretty clear.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Little school on the hill.... stay away.... Reply with quote

[quote] They are posting again and again looking for teachers. By law, schools/businesses are required to pay 100% of housing for those that they sponsor. They want slaves. The owner nit picks on everything. And she is a back stabber.

I don't have an ax to grind; I just don't want others to get screwed. And until we all stop signing bad contracts, it won't get better in korea. [quote]

That's so true Nice Guy. This business of signing generic, often crappy contracts. How many years is it gonna be until inflation & currency devaluation for example are taken into consideration ???

When will the standard Hagwon contract for example read 2.3 million won for 100 hours rather than less for more ??? Not until teachers en masse demand NOT settling for less.

One reason while after a week back in country i'm still shopping around Rolling Eyes
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
The form that I have from immigration states verbatim: "I will assume, without reservation, whole responsibility for: Full maintence and logistic support including defrayment of all living expenses incurred by him during his stay in Korea." "Transportation fees upon departure from Korea." Payment of all charges including fines and compensation for all damages incurred by his violation or illegal acts of the immigration law."
This form is still required by immigration as of yesterday when I went to Seoul Immigration for someone else.

Anyone got a link for an online version of that? I would love to get my (virtual) hands on it.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the form. JPG file. How can I get it to you?
Ghostinthemachine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote

Quote:
"Transportation fees upon departure from Korea."

I contacted Efl-law the other day and they told me that my employer is not legally obliged to pay my airfare home.

Now I'm confused. Confused

Can you clarify.
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
I have a copy of the form. JPG file. How can I get it to you?

Email it to me and I'll post it up on my server, and put it in this thread.
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the thread. Thanks Gord - you'll post the link here, yeah?

I can also host a copy, if you want. PM me and I'll give you and email address!
just because

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not law that Korean hagwons have to pay for your airfare. It is basically to attract that teachers here over China and japan. However, if it is in your contract that you will recieve a fully-pid round ticket than your hagwon is obliged to pay. I know that the contracts here are about as worthless as toilet paper but it is a contract.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord has been E-mailed the immigration sponsor form. Hopefully he can post it here. This form is from immigration. They require it from businesses who sponsor foreigners for work. Once Gord posts the form here, then we will all know what the schools already know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: