Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

part-time legally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white tiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: part-time legally? Reply with quote

alright; i admit it, i don't want a full-time position. how is it possible for so many schools/businesses to offer part-time positions? Is it still possible to receive an E-2 visa, and only work 20 hours a week? how is this done?
I've searched this site, and didn't find the answer i was looking for; i'm just sick of all the 10-7pm job offers. I think i'm at the point of just coming to korea, and looking for work myself...all the positions my recruiters have offered me are sh*t so far..
what can ya tell me?

sincerely, "the guy who writes on this forum, and still hasn't made it to korea"
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still not here? Awesome. I remember when you and Tiger Beer both had monkeytars and talked in the same thread.

It's possible to get part time work, but it's harder to get. You probably won't get any of the benefits that the full time teachers get, either. Especially housing. As far as I know, most part time teachers either live here permanently, or they're supplementing their income.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sure answer is a working holiday visa.

To get an E2, the school has to say to Immigration they intend for you to be working a full time job. You may get lucky, but generally contracts with low working hours tend to be reserved for people already in Korea so the school doesn't have to pony up for airfare and whatnot.

Plus the recruiter has to like you and you have to be a desirable teacher. A recruiter is more likely to give a job paying 2M a month with 10 teaching hours a week to an experienced and proven friend in Korea rather than Joe Inexperienced from across the ocean.
Squid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z is on the money. I'm looking for PT work now and all I have contacted are offering rock-bottom wages and no "Standard extras" such as airfares,
OT, or bonus. No housing or allowance for housing either. Seems when you're here "Permanently" you're expected to wear them waltzing off with 1.5-2m plus they don't pay up front and keep smiling.
Not my style.
Having hung out for 8 weeks now, I have two good offers, but I've turned down a lot more.

Caution to you.

Squid
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Is that a picture of you? The girl is cute.

She's a Korean actress that was well known a couple years ago, and I think she was a singer before that. Sadly, I completely forget her name but most Koreans should be able to tell you who she is.

I just found this picture quite cute, so I kept it.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

For some reason I find Gord's avatar slightly disturbing. Don't know why though
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:
Is that a picture of you? The girl is cute.

She's a Korean actress that was well known a couple years ago, and I think she was a singer before that. Sadly, I completely forget her name but most Koreans should be able to tell you who she is.

I just found this picture quite cute, so I kept it.

The guy in the PC bang I'm in tells me her name is Bae Doo Na (��γ�). Does that sound right to you?

It gave me a chance to practice my newly learned "oblique question" grammar pattern (i.e. "Do you know who she is?").
white tiger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer, yeh, i'm still not there; awesome Razz
Gord, Squid, thanks for the warnings; i am just getting so antsy. i moved my stuff back to my parents' place in anticipation of finding a contract (good contract), and have been here for a month, it's driving me nuts! small town to boot...
UlsanChris, yeh, that avatar was a bit spooky, not sure what it is either; some subliminal message hidden in the plaid i bet...
cheers
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Tiger, most folks recommend (and I agree) that it's worthwhile (even for a newbie) to actually come over here, live in one of the hostels for a while or a yogwan or something, and do the job search on the ground, as it were. The hell with the recruiters...

I'd highly recommend that, if you have airfare plus a couple grand maybe for beer and kim-bap....
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read something once (dunno if it was true) that a hagwon can sponsor your visa, i.e. give you an e-2, even if you are only working 1 hour a week for them. correct me if i'm wrong. could've dreamt this!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ratslash is right. I don't think there is a specific quota of hours you need to have in your contract in order to get your E2 visa. If you can find an employer who is willing to give you less hours for less fee - go for it!

I've always thought there must be loads of hakwons out there that want a part-time foreign teacher but think they can't afford it so they either do without or overload their current foreign teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: