Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let the protesting begin!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Let the protesting begin!!!! Reply with quote

Another unfortunate accident, in Inchon yesterday, Tuesday, involving a truck and trailer. The big rig belongs to the American government, USFK and has SOFA plates. A women was killed when the big rig ran over her. The driver is korean. Now, I ask you, where are the protesters?!?! This driver WILL NOT be found guilty in a korean court, he will not go to jail. You can bet on it. Why? Because it was an accident! I'd like to see al the previous protesters out in force like the last time! Won't happen though! A bunch of two faced protesters! Yesterdays accident was terrible. A family has lost their daughter, mother and wife.
No, I am not being a wise ass as some might be thinking. I am just pointing out the double standards in korea by koreans. Yesterdays accident was handled the same way as the accident involving the two girls.
Meaning the korean police play second fiddle. But, watch how quietly this one goes away.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story. Is the driver being charged with anything?
Who knows. Maybe the court will find the US-plated truck at fault. Shocked

They may very well convict the Korean driver - though this is not the practice here - because of the stink raised last year over the acquittal of the American soldiers.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, you can already predict the decision that will be handed down by the court?!

i agree with everything else you said, but to say that the driver will go free just cuz you said so, is going a bit overboard.
kim jong il

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify, the driver of the tractor trailer was korean...not american.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I was disgusted by the Anti-American movement's use of the deaths of those girls. Thanks for turning a family tragedy into a political tool.

See, they've learned a lot from us.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: posts by Dan and Jong Il Kim, I did post that the driver IS korean. As for stating that the driver will not go to jail, I went overboard? No, I don't think so. Just the facts.
The USFK will pay a fine and pay the korea family money as well. The driver will NOT be found quilty or go to jail. It was an accident. Will the koreans use this as an excuse for SOFA changes? Of course not because it involves only koreans! Still, it's ironic! A person was killed, traffic accident, U.S. truck and USFK driver! No one is whining, crying or complaining. Nuff said, no use running a dead horse. The korean TV news also had no report of this accident last night or this morning!

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

The sad part is that this will never appear in any of the Korean news outlets. No TV, no newspapers, or any Internet news service will cover this. Because the lack of coverage it will not be placed in the Korean consciousness and will therefore be little use to us weagokins who would like to use this as a rebuttal for Korean hypocrisies. Koreans will say "I don't know, I have never heard of about this, aren't you making it up?" OH, the Korean mind how convenient?
Hotuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this will never appear in any of the Korean news outlets...Koreans will say "I don't know, I have never heard of about this, aren't you making it up?"

I've seen them do this before. if their trusted MBC News didn't tell them about something (and there's a world of things MBC doesn't tell them) then it didn't happen. It's frustrating.
kim jong il

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did see a small note on the accident in the korea times... i think. i'm going to look through the korean newspapers today.

i felt that the demostrations were hypocritical from the start. how many people die on korean roadways every year? it is per capita, one of the most dangerous places to drive and/or be a pedestrian. i believe the issue of pedestrian safety really needs to be addressed in this country. i'm confronted daily with hairy situations on the roads just trying to walk to school. no planning goes into many of the roadways and they are sorely in need of sidewalks.

let's make sure that this accident doesn't go unnoticed by a korean public that is quick to criticize non-korean things and people, but often fails to see its own faults.
uckles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

I'm Korean-American, so this is a tough issue. But here's the difference. Yes, the Korean driver will likely be acquitted and yes, the accident is not going to register on the radar of 99% of Koreans. But the Korean driver will be acquitted by the KOREAN Justice system. The reason Koreans are angry with the American soldiers is because they were acquitted by a United States Military Court. In Germany and Japan, where there is or has been U.S. military presence, each nation has been given full jurisdiction over the American soldiers. And that's what the Koreans want as well. The accident happened on Korean land, to Korean girls, and just because the drivers happen to be soldiers from America, the Koreans aren't even allowed to take them to trial? It feels to many Koreans like the U.S. government is tucking their own under their wing, and so I can understand the resentment. The protests are not only for the lost girls--they are also calling for a change in jurisdiction laws.

So don't assume that there is a double standard. The situations, while similar on the surface, are drastically different.
scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

space

Last edited by scott on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
simulated stereo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotuk wrote:
Quote:
this will never appear in any of the Korean news outlets...Koreans will say "I don't know, I have never heard of about this, aren't you making it up?"

I've seen them do this before. if their trusted MBC News didn't tell them about something (and there's a world of things MBC doesn't tell them) then it didn't happen. It's frustrating.

Man, MBC really is the worst for news. It was so pathetic how their morning show spent about two weeks covering the death of the middle school girls and the problems with the SOFA agreement. Their camera work and eediting were ridiculous. They would show a clip of a bloody shoe then cut to one of the commentators wiping a tear out of her eye...for two weeks.
Then they would exaine line-by-line the SOFA agreements in Japan and Germany and wold puncuate anything seamingly unjust with lot's of "aaah"s and "wooahhh"s. But the funniest thing was when they would find some whacked-on-thorazine foreigner on the streets to offer their support and outrage over something I'm pretty sure they didn't understand.

By the way, everyone reading this thread should check out Cho Se Hyon's recent commentary in the Korea Herald. http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/01/21/200301210028.asp
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: re: uckles....... Reply with quote

Uckles even in Germany and in Japan if any incident happens while a soldier is on official duty, the incident will have military jurisdiction. I think Koreans are setting a very bad international standard for any host country wanting full legal control of foreign troops on their soil. Can we chip away at the diplomats next? When Koreans participate in UN peacekeeping operations, do you think they are under the host country's full legal jurisdiction, or a mix with some Korean jurisdiction? I would think about this a little bit more.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: SOFA all ready changed and "fair" Reply with quote

Yup, weatherman is right. It used to be (up until a couple of years ago) the US had jurisdiction all the time. This really upset lots of Koreans and was eventually changed. Now unless the GI is on duty (which they were in the 2 girls death) they will be handed over to the locals. Same agreement as many other countries. Cool
PC Bahng or Bust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uckles, this isn't a tough issue at all. This is a tough issue for you because you believe what the Korean media tell you. There is no SOFA in the world that would have American troops on duty put under the jurisdiction of the local courts. The Americans haven't even signed onto the International Criminal Court! And Koreans negotiate SOFA's when they go overseas, ie to Afghanistan, that don't allow their own troops to be prosecuted locally on AND off duty! Korean troops get a better deal overseas than the Americans do in Korea! Don't hear that on MBC, do you? Look it up. And your change in jurisdiction rules? Even if the Korean cops didn't have a nasty habit of murdering suspects in their custody there is no way that the Americans would ever subject their troops to that sort of system. You need the Americans, you will never be treated as an equal as long as you need them. Get used to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: