Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on renewing contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quercus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: advice on renewing contract Reply with quote

hello, i am hoping to renew my contract and stay at my hagwon another year. i work in southern south korea. i make 2 mil a month, at 5%, and pay my bills out of that, etc. i work atleast 40 hours a week, sometimes, 44 (hours at hagwon, i'm on a 25 hour a week teaching time contract, but we have big breaks between classes).

this is what i want:
-max of 33 hours a week working time, whether i am teaching or on break, thats three 7 hour days and two 6 hour days, the 6 hour days i stay until 10 at nite.
-a 10% raise to 2.2 mil. i see a lot of post for 2.2 and up pay, and 10% per year increase is standard at ECC and a few other hagwons i've known teachers from.
-3.5% tax rate
-a flight home, and a week off, not vacation time
-a china visa run

in exchange for all that i will update my wardrobe. i came with button down shirts, etc and they said i looked to serious and needed jeans and tshirts and stuff. also i will find and pay for some good paper game lesson stuff, word puzzles, games, etc. and if i can get all this i would be willing to stay an additional 2 years for a total of three years at the same place so they wont have to worry about getting new teachers.

any advice, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

i can also be reached at [email protected]
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt they'll give you the flight home and the China visa run. But you stand a better chance of getting the China visa run than you do of getting a flight home. Just my experience in the matter.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5% tax rate. the tax rate is whatever the government decides. I don't really think that is negotiable. Good luck on the rest.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want the China Visa run? Only need to turn up at your nearest friendly immigration office with the following:
Passport
Foreigner Card
New Contract
School Education Authorisation Documentation
School Business Documentation
Letter of Continued Sponsorship
and upwards of 30,000won

Should have no problems because even with a visa run out of the place you will need all but the FC and won (but equivalent other currency). Only problems may occur if the school has changed names or ownership since your original contract, but can get around that by using a Release Letter.

As always check with your local immigration office first, cause they change frequently, and from office to office.
So the no visa run can save your boss some cash, if so he/she may well be more inclined to spread just a little around....maybe with you.

Good luck with it all.

Still crazy, still here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: