Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elementry adult class-HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ella Bella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Elementry adult class-HELP! Reply with quote

I'm fine teaching 5 year olds who can't speak a word but my new class is an intensive one on one adult class. I've met her once already and she really can't speak a word! She told my boss she feels really stupid doing drills and role plays and to be honest so do I. I know she must practice things a lot to start with but there must be better ways! PLEASE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the bookstore and get "Interchange" basic or number 1 (yellow or red book) and you're set.
bourquetheman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Another good book... Reply with quote

Having used Interchange numerous times before, I would like to point out the SLE (Speaking, Listening, Expression) book that are published by Pagoda. They are available commerically (Kyobo, English Plus) and I've had really good luck using each level. There are three levels, and within the three levels are three books (1A,B,C. etc) The good thing is that they are written by western teachers who have taught over here, so they are specifically geared to Korean student's weakenesses. I met one person who taught at Pagoda and I mentioned how there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes in the books, to which he replied, "Yeah well our editor was Korean" and we laughed it off. Anyway overall the books are well done, have a variety of things to do, from role-plays, pronunciation drills, discussion topics and listening activities. Give them a try, sure you won't be disappointed. Sounds like she'd be a candidate for SLE 1A.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other thought, if you are tired of always using a book. (a common complaint among students in Korea)
You could try using picture cards for practicing basic vocabulary. The student cards for the "Let's Go" series would be useful. I know they are meant for kids, but just as a fun way to practice and repeat vocabulary, they would work for adults too.

Here's an idea of what I did with Let's Go - 2 student cards.

The cards can be divided into various categories: people, places, things, actions, feelings, food, body parts, time of day. I play a game with the cards where each person draws 8 cards and then they have to play cards according to a category. (similar to crazy 8's without the crazy cards)

This might not work so well with just one person though, so you may have to try it in a different way. You will probably want to start with just a few card so as not to overwhelm your student.

Get the student to read the card (if she can) and then put it in the right category.

You could play go fish where she has to match cards with similar themes
ex: taxi driver with taxi drivers etc.

I'm not suggesting that you should do this all class or every class, it's just one small idea to help bring some variety into your lessons.

Let's go 3 is good for practicing clothing, and slightly more advanced verbs.

Let's go 4 is good for practicing professions, workplaces, kinds of work etc.

They are quite pricey, so I don't know if you will want to go and buy a whole slew of these at once.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: