Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on finding a job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrroboto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Advice on finding a job? Reply with quote

Hey y'all, got a broad question here that I'm sure you can tackle.

My sister wants to come ASAP to teach for a year. She's a 24 year old BFA grad from Canada with some sport-related teaching experience. I told her she'd be better off buying a flight over and finding a job here in Seoul instead of trying to get a decent one while still in Canada.

I've heard the difference between getting 2.2 and 2.0 million is whether you shop in country or out. She'd want to get reimbursed for her air-fare as well. I told her most of the recruits are crooks, and that they're just taking from her margin of pay, so we want to find her something directly from the school.

What do you folks think? She'd have a place to stay until she found a job, so that's not an issue. Thanks!
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend your sister come over first. That way she can negotiate with schools directly and see the apt's they'll be providing.
Squid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sister is in a enviable position given that she's got a place to stay here whilst she can check out job opportunities, presumably on a 3 month visa.
I write enviable because unlike most of the posters on these boards (By the sounds anyway) she'll also have the chance to check out the local way of life, cost of living, language and culture etc. etc. before making a final decision.
You should encourage her to make the investment, and whilst you're at it get her over to Japan, and China whilst she's here- not just Korea!

Sounds like you're a reasonable Bro... good luck.

Squid
mrroboto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent, thanks guys.

So for those of you who simply came here and found a job, how long did it take and where did you look? Should she just call up everything on dave's and english spectrum, or is there some offline resource?
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: 6 month Reply with quote

Good for her!

She can come over on a canuk tourist visa (6 months) and shop for a decent position.

I suggest if she is looking here to visit schools that are hiring and sit in to check out the environment...not just the directors spin on things either, shadow a few teahers to get the feel of the place...

Just like looking into a job back home.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on finding a job? Reply with quote

mrroboto wrote:
She'd want to get reimbursed for her air-fare as well.

If she is already in Korea it will be very very difficult to find a hagwon that will cover her airfair, however, they should pay for the visa run, if not look elsewhere.
mrroboto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, she's almost here, and I haven't found anything particulary scintillating on the Korean Jobs posting area... where should I be looking?

I don't want her to have to settle for something mediocre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: