Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degrees in Latin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corroonb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Degrees in Latin? Reply with quote

My university is traditional and the degree will probably be in Latin when I finally get it next week. Will immgration accept a degree in Latin or do I have to get a translation? If so do I get both the degree and translation notarised? I assume the degree will say BA somewhere on it and the name of my course and the unversity. Any advice is appreciated as always.
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Degrees in Latin? Reply with quote

corroonb wrote:
My university is traditional and the degree will probably be in Latin when I finally get it next week. Will immgration accept a degree in Latin or do I have to get a translation? If so do I get both the degree and translation notarised? I assume the degree will say BA somewhere on it and the name of my course and the unversity. Any advice is appreciated as always.

Mine came with a translation page (yours probably will too). But they just looked at it when I showed it to them when I had to go to immi again and didn't even bother with the translation.
corroonb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if it looks okay, I shouldn't have to worry. I might have to get a translation from my uni though and that could be difficult as they couldn't be any less helpful or more rude. I sent them 5 emails concerning picking up my degree and they never answered once. Bastards! I hope the translation comes with the degree or my new school aren't going to be happy waiting.
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corroonb wrote:
OK, so if it looks okay, I shouldn't have to worry. I might have to get a translation from my uni though and that could be difficult as they couldn't be any less helpful or more rude. I sent them 5 emails concerning picking up my degree and they never answered once. Bastards! I hope the translation comes with the degree or my new school aren't going to be happy waiting.

What kind of a school did you go to Shocked ?

But mine came with a stamped translation page. I hope yours does too. If not, it will probably still be ok, though I am talking from one experience in Suwon immigration.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laogaiguk wrote:
corroonb wrote:

What kind of a school did you go to Shocked ?

But mine came with a stamped translation page. I hope yours does too. If not, it will probably still be ok, though I am talking from one experience in Suwon immigration.

Mine came with a stamped translation page too, and it went over fine at Mok-dong Immigration all three times I've had to submit it (twice for work visas, once for that stupid "degree confirmation" thing).
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine came with a stamped translation page too, and it went over fine at Mok-dong Immigration all three times I've had to submit it (twice for work visas, once for that stupid "degree confirmation" thing).

I got my E-2 visa without showing the translation. Furthermore, my translation is not official. It is not stamped.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with nothing but a cheezy green vinyl folder, with a stiff cardboard back.

I've never needed a translation here in the ROK, although I've only worked at hagwans, so perhaps a real school or university might require one.

Cheers
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Degrees in Latin? Reply with quote

corroonb wrote:

I graduated from a fine Jesuit university that would never print an important document in anything but Latin.

I never needed a translation page for my degree certificate written in Latin. Never had a problem.
corroonb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I feel much better about this now. All I have to do is wait until the 14th and I can finally get the ball rolling.
wylies99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I'm surprised no one posted "Well, get it notarized at the Latin embassy." Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: