Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What airline did you fly over on and how was the service?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnTeacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: What airline did you fly over on and how was the service? Reply with quote

Just curious? anyone flown korean airlines? I heard the service was great but their rating was downgraded a few years ago over safety issues.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fly Asiana into Korea. But, I believe the US warned all Korean Flag carriers and put them on probation for 6 months. That was in 2001 (I believe). I think thay have since patched things up. I believe it was sparked by a Korean Air mishaped landing into a very foggy Guam. I believe Korean Air's Cargo system is the main culprit. Korean Air has had a number of embarrasing incidents with their Cargo planes.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

service on korean air is fine. good food too. eat the western meal - not the bibimbap. its not a very good bibimbap. could be your last western meal for a while anyway. my only complaints - their wine is rather poor and their planes are overheated. there are no little cool air blowers above you either.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've usually flown Northwest because my frequent flier miles are with them. Their service is not good though and their cabins are very cramped. The stewards/stewardesses can be very grouchy and sometimes downright mean. Other than that though, they are much the same as any other airline and I have had no major probs (that were not remedied) with them.

I've also flown American Airlines and Delta Airlines in partnership with Korean Air. All of these airlines tend to have friendlier stewards/ stewardesses. American has tons more leg room in coach. I once flew Korean business class (because of a NW Airline mistake) and it was great. I arrived all sweaty and harried and was the least well-dressed of all in business class, but no one looked at me funny.

If you're not worried about FF miles, I think that you should just go with the best deal and perhaps one of the airlines with a reputation for better service. Those long flights can be awful.
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

United Airlines...by far. The service was excellent and the food was good. Also, there was a tv with a selection of movies at each seat(so you didn't have to crane your neck looking at the one tv or so that most airlines have). Easiest 5,000+ mile flight that I've ever taken.
justagirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the Northwest service. The stewardesses tend to be loud and not as nice as the other airlines I've flown.

They also do a poor job of keeping people hydrated. I was dying of thirst--put on my light for service...waited 10 minutes. Turned it on and off again...no service....again.....no service. finally got up, disturbing the person sleeping next to me and went to the meal cabin thingy in the middle of the plane. "Hi, may I please have something to drink?" I said, having to interrupt their conversation because they were too busy talking to each other to talk to me. "Oh, we're going to be serving water in about 10 minutes," as they go back to their conversation. "Um, I'm really thirsty." Annoyed stare. "May I have some juice?" Proceeds to get out a little cup, fill it full of ice and gets out some juice. I realize I'm going to get about 2 oz of juice, so just ask for the whole can (which she reluctantly gives) and high-tail it out of there for my seat. Sheesh!

Another time, a poor Asian man sitting in front of me asked a stewardess for a set of earphones. He was so rude, telling the man that they placed all the earphones in the seats before the flight. The Asian man (in poor English) asked again if he could have some earphones and the steward guy was really quick to say, "I GAVE you a set" Finally I just gave the sweward a dirty look and said, "Here, you can have mine."

NW has cheated me out of frequent flyer miles (flew 2 round-trips from Korea to the States and they only gave me credit for 1 way...didn't discover this until the following year when I was going home again, and by then it was too late). As soon as I cash in my miles, I am certainly changing airlines. Right now I have over 35,000. When I go home I'll cash them in.

And one more thing. NW flights all arrive in Korea at 9:30 pm. This is too late to catch any airport limo bus to a city outside of Seoul. Very frustrating!

Thanks for letting me rant about NW. Choose a different airline. Both Korean and Asiana are better.
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been really impressed with thai airways. man, service is so superior to western airlines where you have to twist their arm to get a second drink. the star alliance is good for getting miles while flying anywhere in asia.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone with Singapore Air every time but once because it offers the cheapest direct service to my home (san francisco). It is usually only 20-50,000 more than United and NWest, both of which stop in Tokyo. Only have flown on a short distance flight with Asiana (to Osaka), was decent. Never Korean Air. Not because of their rep., but they don't offer cheap tickets to SFO for some reason.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from home, i always, no matter what, end up stuck on united airlines. it's okay, but not awesome.
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew Northwestern last time in and found the service to be fine...reading the posts here I guess I got lucky! Laughing

I also used Korean Air and loved it. The prices are a bit higher from Canada but the service is great.

I avoid Air Canada at all costs. The service on AC sucks the big one.

Tried American Airlines, United and Delta and found them to be equally mediocre. Again, maybe I just got unlucky.

Traveling in asia I have flown with Singapore Air (by far the best), Thai Air (very close second) and Japan Airlines (on par with Korean Air for service).
We also flew Air china once and it was akin to using Air Transat back home....not good.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: airlines Reply with quote

Air Canada bites nuts.

My wife and I bought tickets for several trips and the service is typically poor compared to other carriers I have exoerience with. They even tried to seperate us to different planes on one trip! Bought a full fare ticket on AC and got gifted with a Tango flight into Halifax....great one.

I fly Cathay Pacific. Bar none they have my vote, excellent service all around.
Plus you get to go to Hong Kong first; a little pricy but worth it.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Air Canada sucked on my flight.

They served meals starting from the front of the plane, then to the back. I was close to the back. By the time they got to me, I got force-fed fish, which I don't eat.

Then for the 2nd meal, they did it again. I am not talking people who were in 1st class or business class got fed first, which I understand. Other people flying coach.

It may seem like a small complaint, but I barely ate for 12 hours, because they weren't using their heads.
KoreanLifer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an Asiana airlines flight i was on a few years ago enroute to Seattle lost power in all its washrooms about 2 hrs prior to landing.folks were just busting to use the can after eating and the crew were denying folks entrance to the washrooms.

Singapore Airlines is obviously #1 followed by ThaiAirways.

even being Canadian id say Air Canada is down there with KAL.their service sucks.
yoda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Singapore Reply with quote

I've flown so many airlines to Korea and none can come even close to Sinagapore Airlines. Really amazing service and price.
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fly Asiana and the service is good, but the thing with Korean service, (and this is true for all things in Korea) you have to act super confident, super cool about yourself and your desire to recieve good service or they act like they are being bothered to do something for you, and make you feel a bit, like "well what is wrong with me, and so good about them, they are only good looking after all". On the other hand I went to Hong Kong to visit a friend and flew Cathy Pacific and the service was great. The flight attendant approached me like a human being, not some "oh, I have to deal for a foreigner," or "oh, a foriegner, I will show him how good our service is..(which comes off as so fake)" kind of attitude. Being treated like a human being was a very welcomed change from the type of service you get in Korea. Once you learn the attitude game of Korean service, without pulling it off by seeming pushy or loud and ill mannered, then Korean service is good, but getting it right takes time and pratice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: