Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration Trolls on english spectrum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chronicpride



Joined: 16 Jan 2003

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
I could do privates but I do not because I believe it's immoral.


That's exactly what I would say if I was frustrated in trying to find privates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the fact that I have been offered them (a total of 11 at last count) and turned them all down. Again it is a question of ethics, (which some people on this board are avoiding). When you come to work in a country you agree to abide by that country's rules. Very simple to understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gwangjuboy



Joined: 08 Jul 2003
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Except for the fact that I have been offered them (a total of 11 at last count) and turned them all down. Again it is a question of ethics, (which some people on this board are avoiding). When you come to work in a country you agree to abide by that country's rules. Very simple to understand.


You are a real hagwon owners dream come true. An unquestioning lackey. I wonder how many foreign people break laws in your country of origin to the detriment of the tax payer(such as your parents). It is your business if you want to obey Korean law to the latter. I myself would be worried doing privates. Indeed I haven't the bottle for it. However, I praise those that have the confidence to do it. After all, Korean law regarding the issue is outright protectionist. In the UK we have relaxed laws concerning foreign enterprise. I give Westerners who take privated respect for not being blinded by that fact. As Thatcher said, "if there is a market exploit it, don't protect it for the sake of national pride."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy wrote:
[quote=" -and continuing to get ripped off you bigshot.

No big green evil here.
-of course big shot

I-serious academics wouldn't brag about their qualifications would they? A masters in 20th century history? I'll refer to the commonsense thing again.

.
-and for mankind it is so get off his back.

-and your director passes all the profit on to you does he? wake up you buffoon.

-no it's envy. you can't make more money because you haven't got the bottle for risk. That is what making money is about. That's why your director likes people like you. Just so he can take you to the cleaners. And way you get back, you still wear a goofy smile.

I am sure he will, but be a lot better off than you for it.



Okay let's look at each point you made and demolish it.

First you claim that my director is ripping me off. Proof please. You don't know my director and have likely never met him or me, so you are 'talking out of your ass' here. You have no clue what you are babbling on about.

As for big green evil it seems that somebody's got a case of it here. What's the matter, you don't like it when somebody is a success in Korea and makes more money (legally) than you can?


Your third point is garbage. So serious academics don't brag about their qualifications? Mankind posted his first. They are similar in a couple of regards to mine. So he is not bragging and I am (even though he made an inquiry and I simply replied?) Should I LIE and tell him I only have a B.A.? Would that be "bragging"? Leaving that aside for the moment, look at a list of professors in the West. Most have Masters or their Doctors degree. When they publish something, they tend to include these letters after their name. By your logic that is "bragging".
If you asked your professor what his qualifications were to teach a course, and he told you he had a Doctors' would you tell him he was not a serious academic? Wake up. Nearly all people who have a post-graduate degree, include it in the form of letters after their name.


Can't Mankind speak up for himself? Or are you Mankind?

As for my director passing on all the profit to me, name one director who does. Hey we are here to make money for our directors. Every person on an E-2 visa was brought here in the hopes that s/he would make money for the director. That is our reason for being here. I have no problem with making money for him. That's why I am still employed because I do. As long as I get MY cut, (agreed upon in the contract) then I don't CARE what he makes. It is none of my business...and none of YOURS. Whether you work in a hakwon in Korea or an office in the West, you are there to make money for your boss. Understand?

Envy. You would like to think so, but I would rather have my leisure time than make more money. I've had the opportunity to teach privates and turned them all down. My free time is more important to me since I teach 37 hours a week, (but am very well-compensated for it).

And finally why not let Mankind speak for himself? You ride in here like some knight in shining armour spouting all kinds of garbage, (which I refuted) and defend him. It is people like you that make people like me think that illegal teachers (if you are representative) are clowns and cowboys.

Do us all a favour. Learn to use the quote function. Learn to use paragraphs. And finally learn to argue.

Have a good day now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mankind



Joined: 18 Jan 2003

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Twenty-five hours at the hakwon, 12 at the company. Yes I am paid individually.


I thought this might be the case. I hate to tell you, but what you're doing is illegal in all likelyhood. Usually, immigration won't let you have more than 30 hours (a week) on an E2 for teaching. I have an F2 and most immigration agents won't stamp anything in that puts me over 30. Somebody slipped a little money under the table, would be my guess. Plus if you get 2 different pay checks, I'm really sure, thats wrong. You should only be paid by your visa sponsor. All pay should go through him to you, to be totally legal.

You naughty boy you Evil or Very Mad

As for your friend doing 45 hours. Definately a big bribe to get that okayed. Or everyone is lying to immigration about the number of hours worked. Either way, not as honest and clean cut as we would all hope.

In the end, I'm breaking the law, and you're breaking the law. I don't report some of my work to immigration, and your boss has either bribed them or lied to them, plus they pay you in an illegal manner. It's a lot easier, doesn't really hurt anyone, yet against the laws of Korea.

It's a sad day in mudville when Casey swings and misses Crying or Very sad

HAND Smile

p.s. Don't quit your side job for me. Do it for you, because it's the moral thing to do. I wonder what you will do now that you know the truth? Confront your boss? Turn yourself in at immigration?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mankind



Joined: 18 Jan 2003

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't Mankind speak up for himself? Or are you Mankind?


Hey, I'm just a fan.

HAND Smile

Actually, I think he said he doesn't do privates. You 2 might have more in common.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
Quote:
Twenty-five hours at the hakwon, 12 at the company. Yes I am paid individually.


I thought this might be the case. I hate to tell you, but what you're doing is illegal in all likelyhood. Usually, immigration won't let you have more than 30 hours (a week) on an E2 for teaching. I have an F2 and most immigration agents won't stamp anything in that puts me over 30. Somebody slipped a little money under the table, would be my guess. Plus if you get 2 different pay checks, I'm really sure, thats wrong. You should only be paid by your visa sponsor. All pay should go through him to you, to be totally legal.

You naughty boy you Evil or Very Mad

As for your friend doing 45 hours. Definately a big bribe to get that okayed. Or everyone is lying to immigration about the number of hours worked. Either way, not as honest and clean cut as we would all hope.

In the end, I'm breaking the law, and you're breaking the law. I don't report some of my work to immigration, and your boss has either bribed them or lied to them, plus they pay you in an illegal manner. It's a lot easier, doesn't really hurt anyone, yet against the laws of Korea.

It's a sad day in mudville when Casey swings and misses Crying or Very sad

HAND Smile

p.s. Don't quit your side job for me. Do it for you, because it's the moral thing to do. I wonder what you will do now that you know the truth? Confront your boss? Turn yourself in at immigration?



Umm I think you misunderstood. This was okayed by immigration. (the twelve hour thing). If they don't object, then why should I? Key word here is usually. Maybe somebody did slip a little money under the table...but I don't know that. What I do know, is that they are apparently okay with my 37 hours. It is possible to work two jobs. If you get permission to do so (which admittedly is rare) I believe (don't know for sure) they would give you more hours. It is hard to only work 30 hours for two jobs. As for the individual pay, well I will look into that. Thanks for the heads-up.

As for my friend, maybe he is breaking the law. I don't know exactly what kind of deal he is on. But I merely mentioned this, to show that I know those kinds of deals exist.

Anyway I will be leaving in a month, (as my contract is up). Three years is a long time to work for the same place(s). Time to take a long vacation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crito03



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality...such a fleeting conviction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crito03 wrote:
Morality...such a fleeting conviction.



Read the forum guidelines about trolling.

Just a quick update on my situation. When the second job was set up, I was told that it would be directly paid into my account. Today I find out, that what they are actually doing is paying the director FIRST, and then he (after taking his cut) deposits it into the bank. If they had just told me this to begin with instead "yes, we will directly deposit it into your account." I guess that's Korea for you. Why bother telling the foreign teacher when things have to be changed. Well I guess that explains why Immigration had no problem with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International