Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

send the North Korean team home
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoreanLifer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: send the North Korean team home Reply with quote

after reading this on cnn.com "North Korean team chief Jun Kuk Man later vowed to pull his delegation from the games unless the South Korean government apologized and guaranteed it would prevent a recurrence.

He criticized the protest as "an unacceptable crime by human scum," and defended the conduct of the North Korean reporters.

"South Korean authorities, rather than stopping and dispersing the anti-communist, right-wing group's anti-North rally, not only acquiesced in it but protected it by mobilizing its police force," Jun said.

"We cannot but reconsider our participation if ... protest continues under the protection of hundreds of policemen like this," Jun told reporters".

, i think we should send the NK dummies home.parading these cheerleaders around like movie stars and then having people die daily of starvation is unacceptable.Assault & battery criminal charges on top of this by a group of newsreporters .when will people in the South wake up and realize the folks in the North are not their brothers!
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare the South Koreans practice free speech!

The North doesn't like it? Too damn bad. What do they think is going to happen if the fairy tale of reunification happens? It'd be amusing to see the NK "news reporters" try and publish a paper in a unified Korea.
indiercj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: send the North Korean team home Reply with quote

KoreanLifer wrote:
i think we should send the NK dummies home.parading these cheerleaders around like movie stars and then having people die daily of starvation is unacceptable.Assault & battery criminal charges on top of this by a group of newsreporters .when will people in the South wake up and realize the folks in the North are not their brothers!

Wake me up and enlighten me plz.

By the way who are "we" to send the North Koreans abck home in the middle of the games?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trinny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiercj,

Mayby the previous poster used a bit strong words. But aren't you aware of the fact that starvation is widespread in North Korea, unlike what the Korean TV channels harp about?

In the North, the political prisoners are the average moms and dads caught by the Labour Party, while begging for foods to stop their kids from being starved. They don't start a demonstration or anything akin to it against the Kim Jeong Il regime. Another fact: North Korean regime has been conducting bio, chemical weapon testing on hundreds of thousands of prisoners for years.

Most of the South Koreans are in denial of this or oblivious to it. I heard some South Koreans saying that Kim Jeong Il much better than George W. Bush. Do most Koreans agree with this? Sending a regiment of cheerleaders will lead to reunification as South Koreans want it? Or just prolonging the life of the dying Kim Jeongil regime?
gomurr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If the North Koreans want to whine and complain let them go home. It seems like they still haven't got the whole idea of freedom of speech. Of course they act like they are superior to the South and that all they have to do is threaten to get what they want which they probably will from the spineless Korean gov.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read today that some anti-north Korean protestors and some North korean reporters had a bit of a fight in Daegu. I'm not sure of the details yet and maybe the media will sweep it under the carpet like they do with everything.
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
i read today that some anti-north Korean protestors and some North korean reporters had a bit of a fight in Daegu. I'm not sure of the details yet and maybe the media will sweep it under the carpet like they do with everything.

Footage was shown on SBS, KBS, and MBC extensively yesterday, including the scuffle and the North Korean impropmptu "press conference".
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets send the athletes back and all the minders with them, but keep the bevy of babes they brought for more questioning. Wink
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's about lack of respect for free speech, but about brainwashed psychos who actually think Kim is god and North Korea the center of the cosmos. It's going to take more than a few Sunshine Policy sporting events to reach these hurting people.

I've heard a few South Korean women talk about how pretty the North Korean cheerleaders were, as if that were evidence of a North Korean victory. Shocked
indiercj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just need another special competition category for the games that is the North Korean reporters and extreme right wing activists' dog fight. The loser would be sent home.

By the way, the reporters' behavior during and after this incident is quite amazing. If it were a few years back there is no doubt they would have packed up and returned already. But i guess they are staying! What a change of attitute. Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Romulus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Sunshine policy?The South Koreans ought to boot this Governm Reply with quote

The North Koreans up to their old habits again.The Japanese are finally getting smart and telling the North Koreans they are not welcome here.They met the North Korean ship at Niigata port with shouts of "Go Home".The South Koreans ought to wise up too and dump this government and their Sunshine policy.They should stop encouraging the criminal government in the North.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We just need another special competition category for the games that is the North Korean reporters and extreme right wing activists' dog fight. The loser would be sent home.

If the south guys lose, how exactly do they "go home"?

Seriously though. Probably the only country that has more ignorance and denial than the south about this situation is the north.
indiercj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's show was a typical clash form both extremes. I wish they fight anywhere else than in my country.

What surprises me the most reading the entire forum is that most of foreign teachers sympathize with what right wing Koreans say about North Korea while neglecting the fact that these Koreans also oppose to any forms of foreign working imigrants. I know you don't consider yourself as those from south asia or middle east working in sweat shops. Of course usually the fascist right is also pro-american so you would find them comfortable to some aspect. But for me, standing in line with them and bashing this government while engulfing himself with Chosun Ilbo and Dong-a Ilbo and still claiming of being a liberal doesn't make sense.
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is in for the original poster, North Korea is just one of the countries that is a dictatorial killing machine. It's just one country where people are physically tortured, abducted and imprisoned with no word for their neighbors, and killed in masses. Chinese communism is another.
Len8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the footage on TV about the melee at the Taegu Stadium, and there was a westerner lying on the ground after everybody dispersed. He was surrounded by scores of bloodsucking photographers, and didn't appear to be getting any help. Anybody know who he was, and how he was involved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: