Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstyle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Teaching Certification Reply with quote

Simple qestion! Is a teaching certification, be it TESOL or any other certification that is recognized, necessary to teach in South Korea. From what I've noticed it does not seem that way. I've come across some postings that say they would like to see one, but not fully necessary. Some thoughts?
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a TESOL or any other certificate. Only a Bachelor's degree.

On the following link, select Immigration Service from the top navigation and then Visa Issuance from the secondary top nav. Then, see E-2 visa on section 4, for up-to-date info on Immigration's requirements-

http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/01_introduction/civil_f.html
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demand for foreigners is too great for hogwan directors to require certified teachers. Get the qualifications for yourself and your students. It takes a month and many have said it helps greatly. I wish I had. But if you haven't the time, money or inclination, then be assured you can find a 2.0 million won position in Korea if you're not picky about where you go. Korea's a small country, so anywhere is a couple of hours from somewhere (like foreign-friendly Busan or Seoul).

I assume you have a degree. One of my favourite job postings said "degree required but not necessary." Very Happy If you don't have a degree, then go to China or Indonesia instead. Legally you need a degree in Korea and an employer willing to overlook the fact is VERY likely to ignore your contract and underpay you, provide sub-standard living and working conditions and there'd be nothing you can do about it. There are many honorable Korean employers, but you must take steps to avoid the several bad apples in this barrel. If you have a degree, talk to other foreign teachers at the school, past or present, post messages of inquiry here at Dave's ESLCafe, check blacklists on the Internet, come to Korea on your own dime and check it out (if you can), cross your fingers anyway, and jump Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: