Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishlert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

I like to watch NewsNight with Aaron Brown on CNN and one of my favorite segments is Tomorrow's Headlines in which he shows the front page of various newspapers.
So, today (8/27) he decides to show the front page of the Korea Herald wondering why the talks on N.Korea, which begin today, are mentioned on the bottom of the page in a small section of a "newspaper that is printed in Korea."

I do not know who runs the paper, but thanks to that mistake they have just lost face on an international scale and I, for one, am happy about that. It's about time that the paper got a wake up call.
At the websight today(8/27) http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/index.asp
the top 2 stories are Roh's grade of C on his "report card", and what may happen to the truckers who went on strike; important as they might be, the talks in China should be the top story and not the 4th one down.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this kind of crap is exactly why I don't buy or read that rag
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

mishlert wrote:
I like to watch NewsNight with Aaron Brown on CNN and one of my favorite segments is [color=black]Tomorrow's Headlines I do not know who runs the paper, but thanks to that mistake they have just lost face on an international scale and I, for one, am happy about that. It's about time that the paper got a wake up call.
At the websight today(8/27) http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/index.asp
the top 2 stories are Roh's grade of C on his "report card", and what may happen to the truckers who went on strike; important as they might be, the talks in China should be the top story and not the 4th one down.

Whatever. I dont think anyone at the Herald will be losing sleep over it. People in South Korea, you may have noticed are a little bit tired of the North Korea issues, because, many of my Korean friends say, that nothing ever changes, whatever is in the news about North and South Korea. This cold war has been going on for so long now, with so many failed attempts at talks, that maybe people will start to give a hoot when something actually happens, and to date it hasn't. Koreans are very sceptical. I guess the Herald tends to report largely what people are interested in on the Penninsula. And there was a lot of interest in North Korean sports teams coming over for the games in Daegu, focusing on the building of bridges and the goodwill hopefull achieved by that. The CNN guy is probably not aware of how South Koreans feel about the issue with the North. It's no big deal I think.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with butterfly on this one, i've tried weening out the subject of north korea with my adult students, and they could care less.

its highly annoying and i think very short sighted, but could i say that to their face? Laughing
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally I'm bored about talking about the North/South thing and I've only been here a few years. I can't blame the people here for not being much interested in rehashing the same old topics everyday.

It should be pointed out that it's in the States' best interest to keep up the propaganda over the "axis of evil" states. CNN is not exactly my idea of a great news station. They are far too biased in my opinion.

K
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

If the Herald is so interested in the games at Dague, why didnt' they post anything about the fight between the N. Korean reporters and the demonstrators? I don't get the paper, but at least on their website I didn't see story about it. Seems strange to me.
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:
Whatever. I dont think anyone at the Herald will be losing sleep over it. People in South Korea, you may have noticed are a little bit tired of the North Korea issues, because, many of my Korean friends say, that nothing ever changes, whatever is in the news about North and South Korea. This cold war has been going on for so long now, with so many failed attempts at talks, that maybe people will start to give a hoot when something actually happens, and to date it hasn't. Koreans are very sceptical. I guess the Herald tends to report largely what people are interested in on the Penninsula. And there was a lot of interest in North Korean sports teams coming over for the games in Daegu, focusing on the building of bridges and the goodwill hopefull achieved by that. The CNN guy is probably not aware of how South Koreans feel about the issue with the North. It's no big deal I think.

-OKAY so how many Koreans buy the Korean Herald? I would argue that it's readership is predominantly foreign. That makes your point redundant.
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koreans not being very interested is a huge part of the problem. They want to be in the drivers seat controlling their fates, but they let other countries do what they don't have the gumption to do, and then they blame others for influencing the agreement, so it isn't some pure race agreement. Here is a very good read, which I would recomend you check out on why it is Korea dropping ball by not being interested and the problems this creates.

http://marmot.blogs.com/korea/2003/08/todays_korea_he.html
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be interested when the bombs come raining down...Oh, they'll be interested...
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

mishlert wrote:
I like to watch NewsNight with Aaron Brown on CNN and one of my favorite segments is Tomorrow's Headlines in which he shows the front page of various newspapers.

I watch the same show. I quite like Aaron Brown. He is quite sarcastic which makes for an interesting view. I would love to have captured that sly smirk on his face as he rubbished that dirty rag. I remember one article in that rag that claimed Seoul was the third most expensive city in the world. Absolute rubbish.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy wrote:
I watch the same show. I quite like Aaron Brown. He is quite sarcastic which makes for an interesting view. I would love to have captured that sly smirk on his face as he rubbished that dirty rag. I remember one article in that rag that claimed Seoul was the third most expensive city in the world. Absolute rubbish.

Seoul has been one of the most expensive cities in the world for ages. In 2003 it's ranked number 8, up from being number nine from last year by the fine folks at Mercer Human Resource Consulting.

Sure, the food and taxis are cheap, but factor in things like the cost of housing and you realize it gets damn expensive in one hell of a hurry.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Gwangjuboy wrote:

Seoul has been one of the most expensive cities in the world for ages. In 2003 it's ranked number 8, up from being number nine from last year by the fine folks at Mercer Human Resource Consulting.

Sure, the food and taxis are cheap, but factor in things like the cost of housing and you realize it gets damn expensive in one hell of a hurry.

Aren't you glad most schools pay for housing? I sure as heck am. I hate the idea of sinking my cash into a "key money" situation.... yikes. I know some do, but it scares me.

Of course this time I got my own place and am reimbursed. Much better.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
Aren't you glad most schools pay for housing? I sure as heck am. I hate the idea of sinking my cash into a "key money" situation.... yikes. I know some do, but it scares me.

I put up my own key deposit and I pay my own rent. Just another fine perk of working for "the man".

Sadly, the super apartment comes at a high price indeed.
denz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Korea Herald Gets Bashed on CNN Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Derrek wrote:

I put up my own key deposit and I pay my own rent. Just another fine perk of working for "the man".

Sadly, the super apartment comes at a high price indeed.

the only way to fly, g-dro.

denz
Haggard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whatever. I dont think anyone at the Herald will be losing sleep over it.

You're right. They don't lose any sleep over the communist-pandering, anti-American tripe they regularly print, so why should they lose any over this?

Quote:
People in South Korea, you may have noticed are a little bit tired of the North Korea issues, because, many of my Korean friends say, that nothing ever changes, whatever is in the news about North and South Korea.

Right again. Nothing ever changes. The North Koreans keep killing South Koreans and no one cares. North Koreans kill hundreds of thousands of their own people and no one in South Korea says a word, but 2 South Koreans are killed in an accident by an American tank and the whole nation is outraged for a year. South Korea keeps sending loads of bribes to Kim Jong Il. South Koreans keep flapping their lips about reunification, yet ignore the fact that it'll never happen without a war. North Korea keeps playing the South for suckers, and the South gladly plays the role out of ignorant fools, blinded by blood.

Nothing ever changes.

Quote:
This cold war has been going on for so long now, with so many failed attempts at talks, that maybe people will start to give a hoot when something actually happens, and to date it hasn't. Koreans are very sceptical.

Correct again. So many failures of the 2 Koreas, yet both turn and blame the US.

Quote:
I guess the Herald tends to report largely what people are interested in on the Penninsula.

By that standard, I guess the only things Korean people are interested in are the "Hub of Asia" project and the $20,000 GDP goal, because that's what 90% of the Herald advertisements, oh sorry, reports are about.

The Herald is a promotional rag aimed at foreign investors. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
And there was a lot of interest in North Korean sports teams coming over for the games in Daegu, focusing on the building of bridges and the goodwill hopefull achieved by that.

Yes, that was quite a bridge built by the North Korean reporters who assaulted people protesting peacefully. I'm sure those protesters who left with bruises just chalked the punches up to "goodwill."

Quote:
The CNN guy is probably not aware of how South Koreans feel about the issue with the North. It's no big deal I think.

I'm quite sure the CNN guy knows exactly how South Koreans feel about the issue with the North. He knows that South Koreans would rather take a boot to the face from their brothers up North than get a pat on the back from an American.

No mystery there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: