Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourist Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malori

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Tourist Visa Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the procedures are to get a tourist visa? I will be leaving my hogwon, after giving notice. The director refuses to sign a letter of release. So, I would like to be able to stick around in Korea to 1) finish seeing the sites and learning a few cultural things; 2) challenge the refusal of letter of release--after I leave the school and secure the tourist visa--and try to secure another job here. So, at the moment my main goal is to just understand what I can do to stay here for a few months. As an American, I was told that I just have to leave to Japan every 30 days. But, I also hear I might be able to extend this with a tourist visa. Does anybody know?
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I'm probably going to leave before my current visa expiry next week, I've got a related question.

As a Canadian, would my best bet be to go to the Korean embassy in Osaka (or elsewhere) and apply for a 6-month tourist visa to come back on (and is that even possible), or do they mostly just give 6-monthers on arrival? A 3-month would be OK, but I'd really like to get a 6 to leave some wiggle room, in case things go sideways on me again.
JustCruizin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can get a multi entry visa, it allows you to stay up to 90 days at a time and was $45 at the consulate in LA. Good for 5 years, C-2. This was a year or two ago.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, I'm supposed to come to Korea on a tourist visa. What procedure do I need to obtain one? The last time I was in Korea (3 years ago) I didn't need to register with the consulate for a visa to visit. We just got a stamp at customs. I was only there for 1 month though. Has this changed?

If it has then I'm in trouble. There is no Korean consulate in my city and I have two business days to do something about it.
moul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: TOURIST VISA - CAN I GET A NEW JOB? Reply with quote

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me:

I am working for YBM/ECC

I am contractually obliged to work Saturdays I think but was told I wasnt going to need to at first.

I am now in Korea so what is the case with airfare? Can i push to get it all as promised even though i am in Korea?

CAN I GET ANOTHER JOB EVEN THOUGH I SIGNED A CONTRACT as i havent got an E2 VISA yet?
===============

I am supposed to be going to JAPAN (osaka) on a visa run on tuesday - is it easy to get a job in OSAKA or is it better to stay in Korea as you get accommodation here.

What would happen if i got another job here in Korea as even though ive signed a contract im on a tourist visa yeah?...i havent got an E2 yet so would i be able to get a better paid job?

[email protected]
moul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: TOURIST VISA - CAN I GET A NEW JOB? Reply with quote

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me:

I am working for YBM/ECC

I am contractually obliged to work Saturdays I think but was told I wasnt going to need to at first.

I am now in Korea so what is the case with airfare? Can i push to get it all as promised even though i am in Korea?

CAN I GET ANOTHER JOB EVEN THOUGH I SIGNED A CONTRACT as i havent got an E2 VISA yet?
===============

I am supposed to be going to JAPAN (osaka) on a visa run on tuesday - is it easy to get a job in OSAKA or is it better to stay in Korea as you get accommodation here.

What would happen if i got another job here in Korea as even though ive signed a contract im on a tourist visa yeah?...i havent got an E2 yet so would i be able to get a better paid job?

[email protected]
BTM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamming every thread in sight with the same 'HELP ME!!!1' post isn't going to win you any friends, moul, especially when a search of the forums would find your answers fairly quickly, at least the ones that are answerable by anyone but yourself.

I don't mean to be snarky, but try and get a grip, mate.
JustCruizin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustCruizin' wrote:
I believe you can get a multi entry visa, it allows you to stay up to 90 days at a time and was $45 at the consulate in LA. Good for 5 years, C-2. This was a year or two ago.

Sorry, forgot to include that you get a 30 day visa on arrival as an American. The 90 day visa needs to be arranged for ahead of time, and is NOT required.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an American and recently got a 90-day C-3 tourist visa. I applied for it at the Korean embassy much like an E-2. It costs US $45.

One place to get the application form:
http://www.traveldocs.com/kr/vr.htm
lesza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am finishing my contract soon and have been in touch with Immigration regarding getting a tourist visa so I don't have to flee the country immediately after classes. The information I have is that I need to go to Immigration days before my visa expires with passport, ARC, photos, cash (50 000?) and a plane ticket out of the country (shows intent to leave). At that point, they will issue me a 30-day tourist visa.

I have a question for the learned folks out there... my plans have changed and rather than stay for three weeks after my contract expires, I am only staying for six days after. Is there a grace period where Immigration looks the other way on an expired visa when you try to leave the country? Can I risk not getting a tourist visa, and sneak out six days later? What are the negative consequences of doing so... 100 000 fine/ lifetime jail sentence to be served in a kindie hagwon??

Regards, Lesza

PS Malori... without a letter of release I'm not sure how that affects your ability to stay, even on a tourist visa... check with Immigration. Here's the phone number of an English friendly office there (number from Dave's ESL-- thanks-- YOU ROCK!) 02 732 6214 5
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just a few days, with proof of an outgoing flight (and sometimes without), you can get a short extension to your E-2 for free. It's called "PERMISSION FOR EXTENSION OF SOJOURN PERIOD." Take your passport to Immigration before the original visa expires.

If they ask for your contract or try to charge you W30,000, they don't understand what you want.

(Posting to this forum makes it useful to just keep my passport next to the computer at all times.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: