Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unification on the Horizon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will we see unification?
1 year or less.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
1-2 years.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3-7 years.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Next decade.
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
In our life times.
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Never.
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Skarp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tragic to see too separate countries with basically the same people.

How far can we make comparison with East/West Germany?

Who is forcing North Korea to stay at dagger's drawn with the South? Can the South afford the cost of absorbing the North into the economy?

What is the American foreign policy angle? How does it serve their interests to keep the countries apart?

Anyway - it would be good to see, but South Korea would probably pay a price in Won for reunification.

I would guess within 20 years or less.
Trinny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skarp wrote:
What is the American foreign policy angle? How does it serve their interests to keep the countries apart?.

North Korea is a rogue state, but the US government have maintained containment policy (passive-aggressive) towards North kroea.

I don't see any US interests being served by keeping two Koreas apart.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My estimate of the situation is that unification will happen the day China feels assured that United Korea will be securely under its thumb, and not a day sooner. Or later.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Quote:
Where North Koreans have restricted access to exit North Korea, but South Koreans and probably foreigners having unrestricted access to the whole peninsula

So, the North plays Palestine to the South's Israel? Yeah, that'd really sell in Pyongyang!

This is assuming that the North collapses. Unification is gonna' occur forcefully, either through a collapse or an invasion. I think the most probable scenerio is North Korea collapsing through a coup organized by disgruntled generals. It also will probably occur at the worst time, maybe in the middle of a presidential election in the south, or during a big event the south is hosting (eg Olympics, World Cup).
matthews_world

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
My estimate of the situation is that unification will happen the day China feels assured that United Korea will be securely under its thumb, and not a day sooner. Or later.

Yea, but they're gonna have to deal with the U.S. on that one.

crazylemongirl wrote:
Korea will require heaps of aid, because they don't have the social infrastructure to cope with an extra 20 million mouths to feed/kids to education/people to find jobs etc.

The first thing N Korea could offer in exchange for such aid is their energy resources from their nuclear power plant.

In fact, that plant could produce cheap energy for all of Korea after unification. That would be sweet and could even reduce pollution.

The area of North Korea could be turned into a manufacturing hub.

Skarp wrote:
Anyway - it would be good to see, but South Korea would probably pay a price in Won for reunification.

Good point. Efforts will be made to keep the won at it's current or lower levels, it's gonna decrease in value for a short period of time.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I once heard that reunification or rather the cost to bring N. Korea up to S. Korean standards would cost 1.3 trillion US dollars. There is no way that S. Korea could afford to pay this alone. I'm sure a bunch of countries would be willing to throw in a few billion here and there but there is still a lot of money lacking. The States and China would be major donars but that still wouldn't be enough.
I think that reunitfication will happen one day but how it happens will be important. Assuming it happens in a peacefull way, will the N. Koreans (who will be wanting to have everything the S. koreans have) be patient with a slow reunification process that would limit the impact on the S. Korean economy or will the demand a qucik fix. I would guess that would want a quick fix and then things would turn pretty ugly.
gomurr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 3 ways to unify as things stand now.
1) Start a war and begin the whole bloody process over again. Let's finish it this time.

2) Assasinate Kim, Jong-il and the male members of his family. No one else holds as much power or has the pull that they have.

3) Wait for the Korean people in the North to rise up and finally overthrow the regime.

Other than that it's going to take another 50 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: