Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Employment Conditions Ranking System
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: University Employment Conditions Ranking System Reply with quote

Now that most of the better universities are already through their document reviews, demo lectures, and interviews, the worst of the worst have started to come peeking through with offers of employment. Notice all the ads recently? Notice how unattractive the jobs are?

As Korea is a hierarchal society, and Koreans seem to be so very concerned with rankings, I would like to accomodate them. I would like to rank all the universities in terms of employment conditions. This thread can be a running ranking meter.

Seems to be at least three distinct tiers for universities here, at least in terms of employment conditions. The following do NOT include estimated value for university provided housing, but DO include housing allowance.

I. The first tier schools ask for a max. of 12 hours, pay at least 3.0 million/month (give or take), and offer fully paid breaks (some with the option of a summer/winter session with extra pay). So far, the only schools that I know of that make this category are Ewha, Yonsei, and Konkuk. To make the 3.0 cut off, you have to have the degrees and experience to jack up your salary at at least two of these places.

II. Then there are the second tier places. These schools offer around 2.5 for 12 hours, plus fully paid vacations and optional summer/winter session. SNU is in this category.

III. Then come what I would call third tier schools, the ones that do pay 2.5, but want over 15 hours (most asking for 1Cool.

IV. Then ther are the worst of the worst, the schools that offer 1.8-2.1 for 18+ hours. Some of these schools even require summer/winter sessions, but I can't see making a separtate sub-crap category. Jeju National falls into this category.

So here we have four categories. If you can think of others, add them in. If you can rank a school, please do so. In the end, we should be able to compile a ranking of universities here.

Have at it. Cheers.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewha requires you to teach during one vacation.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about that, but it is with extra pay, so I let em slide. Also, a friend there told me that not everyone has to do it.
Kenny Kimchee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konkuk would be a 5th tier school (if there was a 5th tier). I made it to the interview round with them; below is the text of the email I received (note: it's for the Konkuk University Language Institute, which might be a different entity from the regular university - I don't know).

Quote:
November 23, 2006

Dear Applicants,
The hiring committee of Konkuk Language Institute sincerely appreciates your interest in working at Konkuk University Language Institute. The hiring process has taken quite some time due to the overwhelming amount of applications. We congratulate you on passing the first phase of the hiring process. We would now like to invite you to an interview and to give a teaching demonstration. Please refer to the following information.

Interview Period: November 28th, 2006 � December 8th, 2006
Interview Components:
Step 1 � Informal Oral Interview (About 10 - 20 minutes)
Step 2 � Demo Lesson Planning (20 minutes)
(Please do not bring your own material. We will provide you with a textbook from which you will write a lesson plan.)
Step 3 � Teaching demonstration (10 � 20 minutes)
Step 4 � Reflection on your demonstration (About 20 minutes)

Please let me know when you are available to come to the office for an interview. Please send an email to (deleted by poster) to schedule your interview. The interview needs to be scheduled between 9:30am � 3:30pm from November 28th to December 8th.

Information regarding the salary and benefits of this position is as follows:
a. Pay: 41,000 Won per hour for the University�s credit classes & up to 31,000 Won per hour for Language Institute�s non-credit classes
b. Housing: 20,000,000 Won Key Money to be paid directly to a landlord which must be returned on completion of the contract
c. Severance pay : Paid at the completion of a one year contract
d. Partial Air Fare: 500,000 Won
e. Health Care: Standard partial health and medical insurance coverage
f. Pension: Standard Korean National Pension

Regarding vacation, teachers generally have about 2 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the winter. Vacation time is unpaid. This full-time position is not salary based, which means monthly income may vary. However, teachers usually make about 2.5 million a month teaching about 20 hours per week. At this time there are 2 positions open for January 1st, 2007 and 3 positions open for March 1, 2007.
Please bring the following documents with you when you come for the interview:
1) Original degree
2) A copy of the first page of your passport
3) A copy of Alien Registration Card
4) 2 letters of reference (reference letters should be current, signed, and sealed by the person giving the reference) if you are bring it with you. You may have your referee send the letter of reference directly to (deleted by poster) by December 8, 2006.
5) Transcripts ( After the hiring, you must arrange 2 sealed, official transcripts to be sent directly to Konkuk Langauge Insttitute)

Please find the enclosed map of Konkuk University for the direction. Thank you again for your application. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

The Hiring Committee
Konkuk University Language Institute

Paid by the hour and no paid vacation - gee, where do I sign?
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Kimchee wrote:
Paid by the hour and no paid vacation - gee, where do I sign?

Kunsan National University does this too... on 6-month contracts! (Yes, you have to beg for this job every semester!)

40,000 per hour for univeristy classes (at least 22-24 hours a week)
20,000 per hour for "optional" institute classes
Paid for 15 weeks of classes, then unpaid for the rest of your 6-month contract.
Oh! and during vacation, they will FORBID (yes, I used the word forbid) you from leaving campus. They will check. Rolling Eyes

Get those resumes shined up!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
Oh! and during vacation, they will FORBID (yes, I used the word forbid) you from leaving campus. They will check. Rolling Eyes

This is absolutely shocking. I hear about this and uni teachers who are locked into their dormitories or on campus after midnight and I can't help but wonder why anyone would accept being held prisoner as a condition of their job. I don't care how much vacation time I'm offered or how good the salary is, no one locks me up. *shudder*
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
no one locks me up. *shudder*

that not what your girlfriend told me...
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
uni teachers who are locked into their dormitories or on campus after midnight

Kunsan teachers are in the prof apartments. They don't get locked in, and are free to leave any time they desire.

But to have a boss throw around intimidation and threats and "if you leave you will not be rehired" to keep teachers on campus when they are not working and not even being PAID?!? That is a new record in power tripping egomaniacs.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konkuk job mentioned above is NOT for the department. I'm only comparing the regular departmental jobs, not the UNIGWONS. That could be a separate thread. Why not?
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inha University: Level II [2.5 or 9-12 hours/full breaks]. Good second move for someone working their way up the food chain.

University of Ulsan: Level IV [2.5 for 12 PLUS more at the institute + summer and winter sessions]. Would have been Level III, but they really pulled out the stops when it comes to contact hours. Painful entry level for budding university instructors.

You don't have to say where you work, but it would be cool if you listed your university and slapped a category on it. Why not?
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woosong, Level IV [2.0 for max.20 hours PLUS summer/winter sessions]
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Catholic University of Daegu DEFINITELY a Level IV. 25 hours, 6 weeks of teaching in the summer AND winter? Yikes! Avoid, avoid!
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon University. Level IV. 1.9 for 20 hours a week with 2 mandatory camps.
justin moffatt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankuk University of Foreign Studies a definite Level V, both in the Foreign Language Institute and the English Department. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too quick on the draw with HUFS. I know people there with some well paying positions. You do have to be careful, though, as there are a lot of not-so-good jobs there, too. Thanks for the input, though.

University of Suwon is still trying to hook somebody. Still a low Level 4. Not good.

Another Level 4 advertised recently is SUNMOON. Definitely a level 4.

A SURPRISE listing today was SINGU COLLEGE. Not too shabby. Only 2 million/month, but they require the standard 12 hours and give fully paid vacations. Guess this would put them at a low Level 3 or a high Level 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: