Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longtimer: Would you come to SK now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Longtimer: Would you come to SK now?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 33 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 89

Lolimahro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Korea from 2002-2004 with my parents and came back in 2009 as a graduate with a family. If I had to do it again, and I had to choose between Korea and anywhere else, I'd probably choose Korea. While Chinese seemed easier to learn than Korean at first, I always had trouble with the tones, and people refused to speak to me in Chinese. Also, reading Chinese is a bear compared to learning hangeul, especially with all the English loan words in Korean.

While I seem to remember Chinese being more overtly "friendly" in general (I was invited to numerous feasts and vacations by students and co-workers while in China), I at least feel somewhat less "foreign" here than in China, like I can live a normal life and not be bombarded with attention, questions, and "will you be my friend?" all the time. I like feeling grafted into the local populace, however not-grafted-in I may truly be; I like to feel like a normal person, and on most days, I get that here.

This became just as true when I moved out to rural Incheon (from Seoul, Mokdong). I find the people to be much more friendly and down-to-earth here; I don't feel like the neighborhood is a fashion strip, and I have friendly conversations with my neighbors nearly every day.

Finally, the costs of raising a family overseas and the cost of paying debt back home necessitate a 2.2~2.3mil monthly net income for us. As we have 1.2 million remaining in our account after sending money home, we rely on school-provided housing to afford our living.

If I had to do it a different way, I guess I would have stayed in the U.S. and gotten a teaching credential or a Master's Degree while my husband finished his B.A. Then I could have come to Korea and made a lot more money and my husband would be employable. Or, we could have gone somewhere else overseas - perhaps I could have worked for DODDs or for an international school in Europe or the Middle East. But my background in the Korean language would have made Korea the most likely choice still.
SinclairLondon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have come directly to SE Asia, instead of doing Korea and Thailand during breaks. Less money, but its not one endless cycle of drunken monotony which sustains the masses in Korea.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinclairLondon wrote:
Would have come directly to SE Asia, instead of doing Korea and Thailand during breaks. Less money, but its not one endless cycle of drunken monotony which sustains the masses in Korea.

If anything, I'd think there would be more drinking in Southeast Asia because of the temperature, atmosphere and cheap alcohol.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
Came to Korea in 1991 and the opportunities of that time that first brought me here no longer exist. I would find a different place to start out if I were at that point in my life again.

But where to is the big question.

Would you guys say China?

Somewhere on this list?:

http://worldoftefl.com/top-esl-teaching-destinations-for-2014/

Somewhere else?
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived in 2007. If I could start over, I would have made the same mistake.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreadays wrote:
everyone knows someone who has been to Korea to teach, they have all said how sweet it is, the girls are hot, the privates pay from 40-50 bucks a hour.,hakwon jobs are doable, free house, air ticket, heaps of foreigners here from our cities or province , drinking in Itaewon, hondgae, cheap food, and SOJU, the city is awesome man!! forget north korea he is all talk....

You are seriously delusional.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
T-J wrote:
Came to Korea in 1991 and the opportunities of that time that first brought me here no longer exist. I would find a different place to start out if I were at that point in my life again.

But where to is the big question.

Would you guys say China?

Somewhere on this list?:

http://worldoftefl.com/top-esl-teaching-destinations-for-2014/

Somewhere else?

I arrived in Korea in 1997 and from my understanding the wages are the same as they were in 1999...some 15 years later. Pretty nuts IMO.

Would I do it again if I was a fresh grad, sure. I had student loans to pay, no car, and no way to get to good job interviews. Though if I were allowed to go back in time, I'd just get a law degree and have been a lawyer rather than an educator.

As for China. I've been here 5yrs. The opportunities here would blow your mind. The problem is the pollution, which would also blow most people's minds. To put it into a good perspective: I am making $20k a year more today than I did 5yrs ago. (To be fair, I also got an MA in the last 5 years which helped add about 5k+ to that increase.)

China is going to be what Korea was in the 1990s. Maybe not Shanghai or Beijing due to how expensive it is to live there, but there are tons of other cities with high paying jobs and opportunities for privates galore.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read on this forum that starting a non-ESL biz in China isn't that hard and that many expats do just that, whereas expats in Korea are pretty much limited to bars, restaurants or hakwons.

That said, I wouldn't sacrifice five years of my life to live in Beijing. I also hear petty theft is pretty common there, as is cars running red lights and stuff.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean spouse, Korea.

Single, China.

Only for 1 year, flip a coin.

Long-term earnings potential, China.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draz wrote:
I  don't know what I'd do if I were graduating from uni now. Probably go to grad school to try to delay the decision another few years.

I'd join the Peace Corps. 
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
That said, I wouldn't sacrifice five years of my life to live in Beijing. I also hear petty theft is pretty common there, as is cars running red lights and stuff.

Yeah, glad no one runs red lights and stuff here. Rolling Eyes
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, running red lights has become less frequent in recent years. I've been quite disappointed. It was one thing I really enjoyed about living here. Now, I obey traffic laws more because everybody else seems to do that.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
I've also read on this forum that starting a non-ESL biz in China isn't that hard and that many expats do just that, whereas expats in Korea are pretty much limited to bars, restaurants or hakwons.

Petty theft is pretty insane...I worry all the time about my apartment being broken into, especially when I am on holidays.

I guess in my area it must be getting slightly better. My first year here the expats living in the sweeter digs in this town were targetted. Their apts were broken in and pretty brashly too: smashing the sliding door going to the balcony and then going in and robbing the place: sometimes this was done while people were home too Shocked

The teacher in the room beside me was in a different area of town and on the 4th floor. Her roommate left the bathroom window open...a small small window. Someone climbed up the drainpipe and managed to get in through the window. Both people were sleeping and got robbed.

Lately I haven't heard of anyone having this experience, but I worry about it.

This is not to say it doesn't happen in Korea. My last year working there my co-worker went on vacation and someone used a crowbar and pried open his steel door in the villa he was living in...they bent the door so it opened. NO ONE called the cops or anything, so his place was open for up to 2 weeks. They took everything of value...I just can't get over no one calling the cops.

The red light comment: it happens EVERYWHERE, doesn't matter if you are in Asia or back home, it is human nature. The driving on the wrong side of the street they do here though is mind blowing. I saw so many people driving on the wrong side/way of entrance ramps to the local highway... Shocked
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
Korean spouse, Korea.

Single, China.

Do elaborate on this. From what I've seen, the top salaries in China still aren't close to what they are in Korea. Even if you factor in doing private tutoring in China or the lower cost of living, you can still make more in Korea. Or are you referring to 5 or 10 years down the road? Or do you perhaps mean opening a business in China?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
Korean spouse, Korea.

Single, China.

Do elaborate on this. From what I've seen, the top salaries in China still aren't close to what they are in Korea. Even if you factor in doing private tutoring in China or the lower cost of living, you can still make more in Korea. Or are you referring to 5 or 10 years down the road? Or do you perhaps mean opening a business in China?

With one of the better jobs in China, the earnings/savings potential is approximately the same as Korea. China's salaries are going up. Korea's salaries are at a stand-still.

With a Korean spouse, the earnings potential is good in Korea.

I see China as the new English market. I believe there are long term advantages there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: