Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUIDE: AUTHENTICATING A BACKGROUND CHECK FROM WITHIN KOREA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Connor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
sugarcookie wrote:
I lived abroad most of my life. O.o

The British embassy in seoul notarized it, and this was acceptable for E2 purposes. I had previously had an E2 for which I had had to submit a notarised criminal check (from a public school a year earlier ).

This was back in early March. Things may have changed since.

Really? Thats great news. I am looking at getting a CRC from the UK too. I have dual citizenship with the UK and Australia. Yet, I have been instructed to get a CRC from both even though I havent lived in the UK since I was 14.

1- How long did it take to get the UK CRC from old blighty?

2- Did the Uk Embassy in Seoul do it on the spot?

3- You mean the embassy thats next to City Hall station right?
mammolastan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience going through the process of obtaining a CRC in the state of Georgia?

If so, please let me know how that process was -- did you go in person? Fill out forms and submit them, or get it done immediately? Were you able to bet apostillized in GA?
stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius, LL Moonmanhead, John Connor and anyone else from the UK how did you find the process of getting your CRB check?

I am worried whether you can even get one from Blighty if you apply from overseas? Did you organise yours from Korea or get it done in the UK before coming over? Also, how long are they valid for?

Once you do is it easy to get it notarized/apostled at the embassy?

I will be coming on a student visa (D4 I think) and want to transfer without having to return to the UK sometime next year.

Any help would be great. Thanks
ignitenj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: CBC Reply with quote

brkpnt wrote:
ysl wrote:
are there residency requirements for the CBC?

or can i just request it from anywhere?

Actually my sister just got my CBC and apostille for me and a friend in Oklahoma. So, it is possible. We're thinking this could be a good part time job for her... Smile If you need help pm me.

Is this correct, that you don't need residency requirements? I used to be a California resident, but I no longer live there. Can I just get a CRC from any state (FL or OK, for instance?).
GrasshopperGrrl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CBC Reply with quote

re:...................................................................
Is this correct, that you don't need residency requirements? I used to be a California resident, but I no longer live there. Can I just get a CRC from any state (FL or OK, for instance?).

Well unless things have changed since spring of 2008, you should be able to. I am from CA and was living in FL and simply ordered a CBC from the local county and then sent it off the FL's Dept. of State to get it apostilled. Simple, really. It took 2 days to get the CBC and then about 12 days to get the apostille back to me. Getting one done in CA seems to be a lot more difficult. I'm thinking I'll go the Embassy route instead of getting the apostille.
Good luck~!
littlelisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a stupid question (when does immigration ever have their shhh together?) but I remember a while ago them saying that once E2s jumped through all these hoops they would keep them on file for the next year. Dunno, maybe I imagined it?

I'm switching schools at the end of Feb, and haven't been back to Canada since I got here. I have a notarized copy of my CRC from when I applied to come over here still. Does immigration by any fluke not require me to resubmit a new CRC?

I think I know the answer, but I'm asking anyway.
nathanksimpson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ut videam wrote:
spliff wrote:
chinook wrote:
According to this website http://www.immigration.go.kr/indeximmeng.html you don't need to get a criminal records check to reissue a visa if you are here on one? Does anyone know if this means just another E-2 visa or another one with the exact same school?

Can anyone confirm whether the above is true or not.

From http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM80/imm_09/1184186_37493.jsp (emphasis added):
Quote:
In addition, those with the E-2 visa issued after Dec 15 2007 no longer need to submit the criminal record certificate to reissue the same type of visa while staying in Korea.

Those whose visas were issued after December 15, 2007 have already provided a CRC to immigration. Hence, if you've already provided a CRC, you don't need to provide another one to extend your visa or apply for a new visa from within Korea.

If you have not yet provided a CRC, however, you will have to provide one at your next extension or application for new E-2.

You cannot apply for a new visa while in Korea, you can only extend. To apply for a new visa you MUST complete the process by leaving the country to visit a Korean consulate. Once you have left the country Korea no longer has a record of your activities to verify if you have acted criminally for that time and therefore requires yet another CBC. Or at least that's how I understand it.
nathanksimpson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spliff wrote:
It sounds like immigration doesn't even know its own rules.

I'm not surprised at this.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the 3rd attempt at getting an answer to this question, bad time of year I suppose.

Is it true that Korean immigration will not accept the Winnipeg Police CRC
any more?

Is it possible to get the RCMP check from Korea?

I checked their website and technically it should be possible, but time consuming. I have read horror stories from last year where people tried and failed though, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
This will be the 3rd attempt at getting an answer to this question, bad time of year I suppose.

Is it true that Korean immigration will not accept the Winnipeg Police CRC
any more?

Is it possible to get the RCMP check from Korea?

I checked their website and technically it should be possible, but time consuming. I have read horror stories from last year where people tried and failed though, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Nowhere have I read that Korean immigration will no longer accept CBC's from local police departments. I would love to know where you heard this? Are you sure you are not confusing it with the news that private companies (and I believe local police departments) were quite recently told by the RCMP that "they could no longer issue CBCs" (this caused a huge stir, since it is very profitable for the local police departments and third-party companies)?

This was news on the Canadian end, not from the Korean end. I know a couple weeks ago, one of the popular businesses on here whose job is to facilitate the CBC process, informed me that he could no longer do it because of new RCMP regulations, but they were currently fighting with the RCMP over the matter. Apparently the local police departments were "still open for business" though, so I went with the Winnipeg department and received my check a couple days ago in the mail.

I will be applying for the visa within a week or so, so I will let you know how it goes. I'm pretty certain there won't be a problem, unless you've heard something concrete that I haven't? Link?
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a "rumour " on this forum no less than 2 weeks ago. I have been frantic in my efforts to either confirm or refute its veracity.

It was part of a thread about "regional checks no longer being accepted" and someone had extrapolated this to mean Canadians will now have to get the RCMP check.

Here's the thread;
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=150740&start=0

Unfortunately, there are no links to any article to either confirm or deny this.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
It was a "rumour " on this forum no less than 2 weeks ago. I have been frantic in my efforts to either confirm or refute its veracity.

It was part of a thread about "regional checks no longer being accepted" and someone had extrapolated this to mean Canadians will now have to get the RCMP check.

Here's the thread;
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=150740&start=0

Unfortunately, there are no links to any article to either confirm or deny this.

Yeah, I remember reading that thread. I should have responded. I would hazard to guess that the poster made exactly the misunderstanding I discussed earlier. I'm pretty sure he heard something very close to "regional checks are no longer being accepted," panicked a little and assumed it was Korean immigration making the statement.

It's likely he misinterpreted the same news I had heard, that checks at the regional level could no longer be performed (again, this is coming from the Canadian side, not K-immigration). It appears as though the regional police departments are still processing them though, so I'm not sure what the latest is on the new RCMP policy. Maybe regional poilice were successful in their protests. The private companies who offered the service were still not processing checks last I heard.

I will let you know if my background check is not accepted. I'm not too concerned though.
wayfarer82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
A question for Canadians: Are the background checks conducted through private agencies like Commisionaires no longer accepted at Immigration? I've seen this mentioned here and there, but can't seem to find a straight (and current) answer.

I'm trying to get a background check done from within Korea. Is this still as big a headache as it was a few months ago? Are the Winnipeg Police checks currently accepted at immigration?

I was planning on getting both the Winnipeg Police check AND a check through Commissionaires done to be safe, because I'm not sure if either are even accepted right now.

Also, are fingerprints now required? (and if so, do I have to go through the RCMP?) Is a VSS still required? (have also heard rumours that it isn't) If someone could advise, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks a lot.
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has anyone recently gone the "embassy self authentication" route and been successful? I have my notarized/certified copy of my Florida background check but it took almost three weeks to get (holidays I guess) so I am wary of sending off to the Sec. of State in Florida given this. Thinking I will just bring it with me and get it done in Seoul. Thanks!
gelynch52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CBC Reply with quote

ignitenj wrote:
brkpnt wrote:
ysl wrote:
are there residency requirements for the CBC?

or can i just request it from anywhere?

Actually my sister just got my CBC and apostille for me and a friend in Oklahoma. So, it is possible. We're thinking this could be a good part time job for her... Smile If you need help pm me.

Most states will require you to have an address in that state in order for them to have a reference point for the check. I have not been in Pennsylvania in 5 years but I got mine done online in 5 minutes & for $10.00. Then I got the apostille done by my state legislator.

I do, however, maintain a Pennsylvania address even while living in The Philippines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: