Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug Test - Marijauna back on the table?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
How about F2 visa holders? Is the drug test still required by immigration or is it just the employers who want it?
I haven't smoked the cheeba for over 5 years, and I'm not likely to for some time to come, but I'd still like to know where I stand.

F2 - NOT a requirement for Kimmi.

Employers can ask what they will (including the pee test) and can legally require as a term of employment it if they see fit.

Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbonthec wrote:
I wonder, will slight traces of THC show up on the drug test? I don't smoke it, but I recently visited Vancouver, where just walking around downtown exposed me to multiple whiffs of second-hand pot smoke. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Very paranoid, and marijuana tests test for cannabinoids, not the actual drug THC.
Kaypea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
bbonthec wrote:
I wonder, will slight traces of THC show up on the drug test? I don't smoke it, but I recently visited Vancouver, where just walking around downtown exposed me to multiple whiffs of second-hand pot smoke. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Very paranoid, and marijuana tests test for cannabinoids, not the actual drug THC.

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to test positive for cannabinoids but not THC, or vice versa?

Can you get THC without cannabinoids, via some kind of weird pill?

Or, can you eat hemp seed hippie food that maybe has very little or no active THC, but get in trouble because it has "cannabinoids"?

I never heard of cannabinoids before coming to Korea...
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can you get THC without cannabinoids, via some kind of weird pill?"

Where did you get the THC pill?
FDNY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbonthec wrote:

Duh, yeah, it will. I even heard looking at pics of weed will cause a positive result. Rolling Eyes
southernman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've heard of one Hagwon about 3 years ago that sent their teachers the day they arrived for their health check.

My friend had worked at the place for several years and did all the recruiting herself for the place and got on really well with the owner. Over dinner one night she suggested that smoking pot wasn't such a big deal in the west and that maybe the owner could hold off on the drug test for a month. the owner agreed with her or so it appeared.

But the day the new recruits arrived they were shown their accomadation to drop of their bags and were then taken striaght to the hospital for their medical.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernman wrote:
Actually I've heard of one Hagwon about 3 years ago that sent their teachers the day they arrived for their health check.

My friend had worked at the place for several years and did all the recruiting herself for the place and got on really well with the owner. Over dinner one night she suggested that smoking pot wasn't such a big deal in the west and that maybe the owner could hold off on the drug test for a month. the owner agreed with her or so it appeared.

But the day the new recruits arrived they were shown their accomadation to drop of their bags and were then taken striaght to the hospital for their medical.

Sad. But only funny because there probably couldn't be a better group of people who would likely benefit more from it than Koreans. Settle the ultra-serious mind down a bit.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTurnerinVanCity wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
I posted another thread where only certain health centers will be accepted for the tests.

Is the rumor about a "hair" test true? Why would they go to this instead of peeing in a cup?

Perhaps because it is probably more expensive, and they charge the teacher, do they not?

You can make money, and it is probably more reliable as a test. Two strong incentives.

-Will at Footprints

With a hair test they have a much longer window to look into. Occasional smoking will clear out of your system within a week or two (a month max). A hair test is good for as long as you've had the hair. It seems a bit extreme, but makes sense.
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the way k-immi weed out the weed. Razz
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernman wrote:

If it is not in the contract, refuse if worried. State that you will submit your medical from a hospital of your choice within 90 days to immigration.

I doubt a hair test would be given due to the expense and time it takes to analyze them. Urine tests are valid and accurate.
southernman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
southernman wrote:

Sad. But only funny because there probably couldn't be a better group of people who would likely benefit more from it than Koreans. Settle the ultra-serious mind down a bit.

I remember years ago having a conversation in a pub with an old Korean War Vet. He told me the term 'shotgunning' actually came out of the Korean war. Soldiers used to blow the smoke down the barrel of a rifle.

I think I read somewhere that smoking pot only became illegal here in the early 70's because the leader at the time had a son who was a serious druggie. So the guy in charge just made all drugs illegal and catagory A.

I remember being surprised when I got here and found out how bad smoking was considered, I thought it would be commonplace. I'd done my due diligence on most things Korean but hadn't even considered that smoking pot here would be seen as such a serious offence
MoonDuck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I underwent the medical check last January, and cannabis was on the list of things they checked my urine for. There was no hair test.

I was unaware that cannabis was ever taken off the list of things checked for, since I believe Koreans are very touchy about foreigners smoking dope in their country.

Whatever, went on, they'll check your urine for it, so be warned.
paddynufc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so let me get this straight:

I'm going to work in a public school, beginning September. Can I be pretty sure that I'll be drug tested? And is it possible to say if it'll be a urine, blood or hair test?

I did a year in a hagwon back in 2005, and wasn't drug tested at all...
halophex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to limited space at my hagwon, I started teaching one of my smaller classes in the director's office. A couple of weeks ago, as I placed my books on the desk, I noticed a conspicuous document: health check results for the newly hired teacher. I just couldn't help but take a gander. A lot of it was in Korean but the following wasn't:

HIV = negative

Opiates/Cocaine/Methamphetamine/Marijuana/(and some other unfamiliar drug that i can't remember right now) = negative

I was surprised because I didn't think they were testing for marijuana. But looks like they are.
ontheway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
southernman wrote:

If it is not in the contract, refuse if worried. State that you will submit your medical from a hospital of your choice within 90 days to immigration.

The 90 day rule is for all foreigners. You have 90 days from arrival to register for your ARC. However, as an E2 teacher you have less than 2 weeks, not 90 days.

To be a legal teacher you also have to register, with your ARC and diploma at your local education office. You have only two weeks for this or you are not legal. So, you have only two weeks from your first day of teaching to get your medical exam, get your ARC from Immi and get registered at the education office.

Do not come to Korea if you are not ready to pass your drug test on your day of arrival.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: