Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of ESL in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquakez wrote:
Unless Korea takes a leaf outta the Japanese system where your visa as an English teacher gives you the ability to do some planning for your future by making a 3yr stay possible after the initial 1 yr, and allows those experienced and talented native speakers to diversify then Korea will keep getting sub standard native English speaking workers.

5 years! Japan is now offering 5 year visas. They are also lowering eligibility for Permanent Residency to 5 years (I believe it was 7 previously).

What I have always liked about the Japanese work visa system for EFL teachers is that you can quit a job and go and get a new one without ever having to lose your visa or without any cooperation from your employer.

You can literally tell your Japanese boss to f*ck off and walk out the door and get a new job that same day. The work visa is yours, it's stamped in your passport for 3 years (extended to 5 year work visas as of 2011) and there is nothing that your employer can do about it.

The Koreans will always have their boot on the TEFL'ers neck as long as our work visas are tied to them.
DE16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: current openings for non degree teaching Reply with quote

Thank you for answering my question. I really wanted to teach in Korea but now that I know you have to have a degree I can concentrate on something else instead of teaching. I have seen so much hardship for young poor children over there that made me want to go to Korea instead of any other country. Thank you again.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: current openings for non degree teaching Reply with quote

DE16 wrote:
Thank you for answering my question. I really wanted to teach in Korea but now that I know you have to have a degree I can concentrate on something else instead of teaching. I have seen so much hardship for young poor children over there that made me want to go to Korea instead of any other country. Thank you again.

Is this a joke?
DE16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: current openings for non degree teaching Reply with quote

No this is not a joke. Why would it be?
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: current openings for non degree teaching Reply with quote

DE16 wrote:
No this is not a joke. Why would it be?

Because if you truly want to help children in hardship, you can go to a Third World country, where children have it far harder. South Korea is NOT a Third World country.

By chance, were you thinking of North Korea? Laughing
joelove

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Yaya wrote:
Here's an interesting post from The Globe and Mail from a 29-year-old man who can't find a job in Canada despite graduating from college.

At the age of 29, I've likely forever lost the following opportunities due to cost and probable inability to make up for lost wages and career potential:

- Getting married.

- Having children.

- Owning a home that's bigger than 500 square feet. (hint: that's not big.)

- Studying any more, whether that means grad school, law school, or even just night classes at a random community college.

- Retirement. Sure, I'd love to be investing for it. But with what money?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/a-29-year-old-on-the-difficulties-of-landing-a-first-job/article4184375/?page=1

Yes, it is harder for young adults now than in past but 29 your life is over, give me a break. This guy needs to go out find some employment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/2012-vs-1984-young-adults-really-do-have-it-harder-today/article4105604/

Here are some 100% true stories of success after the age of 29, some even after the age of 50.

My Canadian cousins changed careers in their thirties to become nurses. They both have nice houses in British Columbia, the most expensive province with no help from their parents. My Canadian buddy became a successful stock broker at 32 in Ontario. My Canadian father in law started his own construction company after he was fired and divorced at 53. He made enough money is last 8 years of work to retire comfortably after being completely broke and living in trailer at 53 from his divorce in BC. My ex-girl friend unemployed father went back to school at 45 to get C++ certified and is making over 150,000 as an IT manager. He is now in his late 50s and has three homes. His family and him were broke when he was 45 and I was dating his daughter.

Hate quoting the whole thing but..

Excellent. Yeah, I was sort of laughing too at this 'woe is me, my life is over' coming from a 29 year old. Sometimes though people lose hope or perspective. Lots of people think 30 is old. It's funny.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Yaya wrote:
Here's an interesting post from The Globe and Mail from a 29-year-old man who can't find a job in Canada despite graduating from college.

At the age of 29, I've likely forever lost the following opportunities due to cost and probable inability to make up for lost wages and career potential:

- Getting married.

- Having children.

- Owning a home that's bigger than 500 square feet. (hint: that's not big.)

- Studying any more, whether that means grad school, law school, or even just night classes at a random community college.

- Retirement. Sure, I'd love to be investing for it. But with what money?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/a-29-year-old-on-the-difficulties-of-landing-a-first-job/article4184375/?page=1

Yes, it is harder for young adults now than in past but 29 your life is over, give me a break. This guy needs to go out find some employment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/2012-vs-1984-young-adults-really-do-have-it-harder-today/article4105604/

Here are some 100% true stories of success after the age of 29, some even after the age of 50.

My Canadian cousins changed careers in their thirties to become nurses. They both have nice houses in British Columbia, the most expensive province with no help from their parents. My Canadian buddy became a successful stock broker at 32 in Ontario. My Canadian father in law started his own construction company after he was fired and divorced at 53. He made enough money is last 8 years of work to retire comfortably after being completely broke and living in trailer at 53 from his divorce in BC. My ex-girl friend unemployed father went back to school at 45 to get C++ certified and is making over 150,000 as an IT manager. He is now in his late 50s and has three homes. His family and him were broke when he was 45 and I was dating his daughter.

I don't dispute that your life's not over when you're 29. But the examples of success you've given ride on some big assumptions - that the bloke in the news story and in fact most of us have access to the capital as in cash flow and social capital as in connections and networks that the people you've mentioned obviously have.

Your Canadian father-in-law, the man fired and divorced at 53 had a working almost lifetime of building up connections and networks even if he lost his money. How many people living in trailers in North America, squats in the UK, bedsits in the UK, and other countries, can start up their own construction company after being completely broke?

It doesn't happen without family advantages (interest free loans, support thru family friends, acquaintances, networks etc) or your own advantages - a solid working record to build up contacts etc. This example alone is completely irrrelevant to a person in their twenties and even in their thirties, forties and older if you don't have certain advantages. The advantages don't have to be financial - they can be social capital.

Your ex-girlfriend's father belongs in the same category. Good luck to him for going back to study but he obviously had the advantages of being able to pay for it and being in other circumstances to get the management position that allowed him to own three homes et. That is not usual.

I'm in no way encouraging envy or dismissing the ability of people to study hard or save their money when they have it. Just saying that most people will not be able to do what those people you mentioned did, especially at the age of 29, without certain advantages.

I myself come from one of the worst areas in London and I mean worst. It's been the scene of multiple stabbings each year for over a decade now, has gun crime going on among young gangs, is notorious for single parent families where the mother can't control her teenager boys, especially those whose African dad no longer around for them means the boys are big and tall and too powerful to listen to their smaller mother.

I grew up on a council estate like that - but my parents are together. That helped me a lot. They do modest jobs but encouraged me to love reading from a young age and always had lots of books (secondhand) in the home. I was lucky.

They also taught me that just because the boys around me were doing certain things didn't mean the majority of them were correct or ethical in what they were doing.

They encouraged me to hang around with boys with a similar mindset and we looked out for each other. And they told me that because our family have no contacts or connections, who could get me even a small job then I had to rely on my intelligence to do something bettter with my life. And I did - but most of the people I grew up with have done just about nothing and some are behind bars.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquakez your right about my father-in-law he did have business connections through his years of drinking at the pub. The construction business was basically passed to him from his buddy that was retiring.

My ex-girlfriend's father wife worked as a part-time school secretary and they had some left over equity in their home from his time in the military. He did not, however, serve long enough to get any kind of pension. They had to pay for health care out of pocket too, unlike in England. (BTW They're Americans)

It sounds like you had some great parents not like mine, even though my family was relatively wealthy.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
earthquakez wrote:
Unless Korea takes a leaf outta the Japanese system where your visa as an English teacher gives you the ability to do some planning for your future by making a 3yr stay possible after the initial 1 yr, and allows those experienced and talented native speakers to diversify then Korea will keep getting sub standard native English speaking workers.

5 years! Japan is now offering 5 year visas. They are also lowering eligibility for Permanent Residency to 5 years (I believe it was 7 previously).

What I have always liked about the Japanese work visa system for EFL teachers is that you can quit a job and go and get a new one without ever having to lose your visa or without any cooperation from your employer.

You can literally tell your Japanese boss to f*ck off and walk out the door and get a new job that same day. The work visa is yours, it's stamped in your passport for 3 years (extended to 5 year work visas as of 2011) and there is nothing that your employer can do about it.

The Koreans will always have their boot on the TEFL'ers neck as long as our work visas are tied to them.

...and the job market in japan sucks with slipping wages and it's too expensive to live. You really have to work for your money over there. Very cut throat is the downside to it.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the visa in Japan is still employer dependent. Meaning you still need an employer to sponsor you. You can change jobs more easily than in Korea but you still need an employer to sponsor your work visa.

You cannot remain unemployed for very long and you have to report to J-immi that you are changing jobs. If you stay unemployed past the limited time frame, J-immi will begin procedures to revoke your visa.

The process is more streamlined than it is in Korea however.
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:

Typical Korean protectionism.

Instead of allowing an environment of fair competition..just rig everything entirely in your favor.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
You cannot remain unemployed for very long and you have to report to J-immi that you are changing jobs. If you stay unemployed past the limited time frame, J-immi will begin procedures to revoke your visa.

This is absolutely false! However, the guideline is 3 months. There's no immigration police that will come looking for teachers after the 3 month period. But it's simply a guideline and explained as such on the immigration website.

Teachers have quit jobs or leave Japan for up to a year or more on their 3 or 5 year work visas and do not have their work visas revoked.

There is no law in Japan against being unemployed for those who hold valid 3 or 5 year work visas. The only concern that Japanese immigration have is that they don't overstay their visa.

Also, most teachers never even bother with changing the employer sponsorship that you mention until they renew at the end of the 3 year or 5 year work visa.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

This is absolutely false! However, the guideline is 3 months. There's no immigration police that will come looking for teachers after the 3 month period. But it's simply a guideline and explained as such on the immigration website.

Teachers have quit jobs or leave Japan for up to a year or more on their 3 or 5 year work visas and do not have their work visas revoked.

There is no law in Japan against being unemployed for those who hold valid 3 or 5 year work visas. The only concern that Japanese immigration have is that they don't overstay their visa.

Also, most teachers never even bother with changing the employer sponsorship that you mention until they renew at the end of the 3 year or 5 year work visa.

It is not false. It is taken right off the J-immi site.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of laws that are posted... but maybe not enforced. Living in Korea, it's easy to relate to that. Wink
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
There are lots of laws that are posted... but maybe not enforced. Living in Korea, it's easy to relate to that. Wink

As long as the teacher has a valid 3 or 5 year work visa they can quit their job and go live in the park and no one will bother them - it's been done, too!

The point here is that there is no cancellation of teachers' visas after the 3 month point if they are unemployed. It's not a crime in Japan to be unemployed - even for foreigners, as long as they have a valid work visa.

Just don't overstay your visa and the Japanese government leaves them alone.

The work visa system in Japan sounds so much superior to what we have in Korea and what I'm hearing from teachers in Thailand or Taiwan. But, as mentioned above, the market is tight in Japan and start up costs are pretty steep. I just wish Korea would adopt a similar work permit system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: