Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanoi
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Hanoi Reply with quote

My wife occasionally goes there for business and I was thinking of spending a wek or so in the region.

Has anyone been there and can offer some adive?

(I will definately do the tourist tombs in the city and such but would maybe like a place to relax)
deessell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I lived there for two years and had a great time. If you want the names of some Bars etc I will PM you.

It is one of the most beautiful cities in Asia IMHO.
neandergirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanoi is wonderful – bustling without being over-the-top frenetic like HCM. What to do really depends on what you like.

There��s obviously loads of history, and if you��re interested in that you can visit the Temple of Literature (11th century). The Old Quarter has beautiful old buildings and a temple on just about every street. I think the best known is Bach Ma Pagoda. You can buy just about anything here – even if you��re not buying the silk shops and flower market are great just for colour.
You can still see bullet holes from that mark the beginnings of the American War (as it��s known). Hang Bac has a fair few internet cafes and is a bit like Khao San.

There are loads of museums (the Vietnam History Museum, the Army Museum, the Mother��s Museum, the Revolution Museum etc) and of course Uncle Ho��s stilt house and mausoleum.

The Lake (Hoan Kiem) in the center city is a beautiful place for a walk (although the zoo looks beyond depressing) especially in the early morning. Ngoc Son Temple (Tortoise Temple?) makes a good if touristy backdrop for pictures. Around the lake there are gajillions of cafes, restaurants, pubs (all sorts of styles and cuisines) as well as shops with original and not so original paintings. They��re really cheap so if you��ve ever wanted a Monet or a Van Gogh��.
There��s also a couple of reasonably well-stocked bookstores. This is where the water-puppet shows are held (in the old Opera house). At some times of the year they have outdoor music concerts.

The French Quarter (where the Mausoleum is) is amazing just for the architecture, although there are now lots of towers. I think this is where the Korean embassy is located (it��s where most embassies seem to be). This area has the botanical gardens, the one-pillar pagoda and the temple of literature. There��s also a great restaurant/street kid training program there called KOTO (Know One Teach One). It's a good place to take someone if you're trying to make an impression.

Lenin Park is another good place for a stroll and you can buy just about anything in the nearby market.

If you��re able to travel out of the city there��s even more to see/do. The Perfume Pagoda trek is good exercise and Halong Bay is beyond words (even if it is touristy to go there).
deessell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend going to Sapa on the train. When you get there hire a Russian Minsk motorbike and drive through the mountains. You can hang out with the Hmongs and Daos (ethnic minorities). In Hanoi also rent a scooter.....a lot of fun to be had and the only way to travel. Don't worry to much about the traffic....just learn the art of the merge. People drive quite slow.
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to visit, but did not. Just HCMC and others. Hanoi sounds good.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there twice.

You'll definetely be staying in the 'French Quarter' or 'Old Quarter'.. whatever the name.. its a maze of everything.. and great architecture. Everything tourist-related happens there.. so you won't miss it.. its along the Lake (that the other poster described).

Most people see the water puppets in Hanoi as well.

My favorite part of the Hanoi region is going to HALONG BAY. Large rocks jutting out of the ocean.. absolutely beautiful to see.. I've seen it twice, and would definetely do it again any and every time I'm back in Hanoi again.

Just curious.. what kind of business is your wife in that she goes to Hanoi frequently?
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

Zzzzzzzzz.. don't waste your time....
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarcasmKills wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

I definetely wouldn't do that again either.

For some reason, its one of the main tourist attractions for Hanoi:

I felt the same about Beijing Opera.. once was enough..
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarcasmKills wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

Man, was that ever a long show. Rushed over to see it and the best thing about the whole show was the Air Con.
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the poster "gang ah jee" is in Hanoi now (photos from there as his neighborhood). Maybe send him a message.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm in Hanoi now - until Sunday.

I pretty much agree with everything said above, although -

neandergirl wrote:
The French Quarter (where the Mausoleum is) is amazing just for the architecture, although there are now lots of towers. I think this is where the Korean embassy is located (it��s where most embassies seem to be).

Speaking of the Korean embassy, it's in the Daeha building right in front of the Daewoo Hotel - in the Giang Vo/Kim Ma Korean Quarter. This area is probably the ugliest area of central Hanoi, and I wouldn't recommend staying there - though it's likely the area your wife is most familiar with. The area south-west of Hoan Kiem around Ba Trieu and Pho Hue/French Quarter would be a nicer place to stay, as well as the area north of the Old Quarter around Truc Bach Lake. Like Tiger Beer says, the Old Quarter is too touristy now to spend too much time in - nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I also highly recommend Ha Long Bay and Sa Pa. Tam Coc is great too. Get a recommendation on a boat tour though and don't just go for the lowest price - you can get as low as $20 for 3days/2 nights meals included, but the quality leaves much to be desired.

And Deessel - I'm pretty sure I've met you before. Hope this time in Korea's going better than last time.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the op is contemplating, I spent one week in the Hanoi area a couple years ago. It was great!

A couple days in Hanoi, the overnight train to Sapa & a night up there, back to Hanoi for a day, an overnight boattrip on Halong Bay, back to Hanoi, then flew back here. Sapa & Halong Bay are both awesome in different ways, both highly recommendable.

We took Hanoi very easy, going for strolls (its scenic all over) & not bothering with tourist "must-sees." Its very easy to fill your time in Hanoi with fun authentic experiences just by following your whims. Lots of great places to eat & drink. Met some friendly locals.

Zero planning beforehand -- we basically just showed up & figured it out from there, easy to do. A relaxed but stimulating week, never a dull moment & some very pleasant memories.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, I miss Hanoi already. And I haven't even left yet.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
Oh god, I miss Hanoi already. And I haven't even left yet.

If you go to Geckos (bar in Hanoi), you might see a picture of me on the wall! Another friend saw it awhile ago.

I travelled throughout Vietnam for a month.. and loved Hanoi so much, I went back to Vietnam a second time and spent another month in the Hanoi region alone.

Geckos Bar was my main hangout.. spent nearly every night of Hanoi in that bar for at least a few hours each night out.. one night met a bunch of Aussies (men and women).. and they encouraged everyone in the bar to go topless - funny and good times.

Many good memories from that bar and from that city.

Last edited by Tiger Beer on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Geckos Bar

Easy Tiger! This might all be a bit before my time.

I think there's a 'Gecko's Kitchen' on Ngo Bao Khanh, but 'Gecko's Bar?' Only Itaewon comes to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: