Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step one, step two...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Step one, step two... Reply with quote

Okay, here's the thing...I'll be interviewing off a plane with the shirt on my back (okay a suit) and if I find a position that I like, but it doesn't open up until say, July...I will need some sort of funds to live off of...at least pay some rent at a $20 a nite stay...what would be the easiest way to acquire privates? Question 2...I've noticed that there are people on smaller boards (like little hostils of families...even at www.komestay.com) that have said they are looking for an english teacher. Is the Korean gov't strict enough on this type of thing that they would go as far as to set up a sting?
Question 3...everyone talks about being deported for such a thing, caught teaching privates? Does anyone actually know someone or worked with someone who was actually caught? I mean, I can't imagine them just busting in, I could put noodles on the table and say we're having dinner, I could say it's a language exchange...I mean, unless the student was in on it with the pigs, I can't see it happening. anyone know someone who was caught?
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government doesn't set up stings, at least not to my knowledge. But if your hagwan boss catches you doing privates, she may use it against you and try to screw you out of pay.
I actually don't even think doing privates is against the law. A friend of mine asked his boss, they called immigration and they sid it was okay. Who knows though.
Gord

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The era of "sting operations" ended ages ago. The only way you'll be deported is if someone reports you. That said, you could be reported for pretty much any reason. Angry girlfriend, jealous foreigner, upset mother because you aren't teaching well, security guard because you spat on a car, etc, etc. Basically you've got to piss someone off enough they decide to trainwreck your life with a phone call.

That said, if you're planning on showing up in Korea and being showered in private lessons applicants, you may wish to check up your reality goggles. People want people they hear are good teachers, not just someone who showed up and can speak English. Plus if you don't hit the ground running and can get results, any private teaching you might line up will come to an abrupt end.

Homestay is one option. I did that for a few months once, and it worked out quite well. Though age and responsability is a factor. If you plan on going out every night and treat the homestay as a free hotel, you'll get booted pretty quick.

Your time would be far better invested in landing and looking for a full time gig rather then pussyfooting around losing money while you try to line up one hour gigs.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't mess with trying to find privates.

i have several buddies from australia who have come here time and time again and found work through recruiters. it's not legal work, but the pay is OK (maybe 20-30,000won per hour)...the biggest downside is that you will get whored-out to hogwons/businesses all around the city (and some outside the city).

oh yeah, and like privates, if you're caught you will be deported. however, the odds are heavily in your favor.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and ex co-worker and her boyfriend were busted by immigration for doing privates - 2 weeks before her contract ended... fired, no severance... wonder who dobbed??? Immigration were pretty decent about it. They didn't receive a "deportation" stamp or anything, they were just asked to get out of the country within 15 days. And they did.

One time last year, immigration did come "busting" into my hakwon and wanted details of every foreigner that worked there. I then discovered that my foolish director had signed me to another one of his schools and immigration threatened to deport me and 2 other co-workers for working illegally. Even though I was working for the same director, it was illegal for me to teach at a school other than that which was declared on my visa.

There are rooms that you can rent ... just a bedroom (lock on your door) with shared ammenities. I think they're called "bushi-bangs". I don't where any are specifically. I heard there were a lot around Wangshimni in Seoul - I hope another poster can be a bit more accurate. Anyway, you can rent a room for a week or a month quite cheaply - maybe 200,000 won per month???

Getting private lessons is not easy if you're not well connected. I've been back in Korea for four months now and I've only had 2 people approach me on the street looking for a tutor. I wouldn't rely on it for a stable income when you first arrive.

And as far as deportation goes, Immigration doesn't even have to catch you in the act. There is no trial, no defence. Someone reports you (say your boss) then you're screwed, you're out.

Privates ARE illegal on an E2 or tourist visa. You can work at two jobs, as long as it's declared to immigration and your original E2 visa sponsor is agreeable.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher in my building last year got deported a month before the end ofhis contract. He had been reported because immigration knew the lot. The twist, they waited a few weeks to crunch down and during that time they just accumulated evidence. They had his schedule down path, the names of all his pvt students. They knew how much money he was making..its was scary.
The dude got a heavy fine, his money here frozen and then deported.
So privates are illegal its just seems the law is applied at different levels of severity depending on the areas, immigration officials involved.
This guy had been working in a hagwon, he was a pretty cool dude, he had sent some money home but had a quite a chunk of change tied up in banks here. He lost most of it, his bonus and his airfare.
Scorpio, why don't you just find a job BEFORE coming over?
Also, its good to try and find the best possible job out there but you have to be realistic and realize that s your first teaching job you will not find the great job right away.
Looking for privates is not that easy either, especially when you don't know anyone.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A teacher in my building last year got deported a month before the end ofhis contract. He had been reported because immigration knew the lot. The twist, they waited a few weeks to crunch down and during that time they just accumulated evidence. They had his schedule down path, the names of all his pvt students. They knew how much money he was making..its was scary.

The same thing happened to a close friend of mine a few years ago.

I always wonder why there are people who refuse to believe this actually happens.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a few pvts and am seriously sketchy about this odd looking guy who seems to be following me around. I'm going to knock the pvts off. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but not willing to take the risk anymore.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally gonna hit the ground running when I get off the plane and look for a good legal visa sponsored job...but if they're not hiring until August or September, I'll need some sort of a cushioning income. Have you guys checked ou the job information journl on this site. I've read every single entry and have basically come to the END of the internet regarding Hagwon horrors. It'll take some balls, but I'd rather hope the airport taxi driver speaks english and I can fend on my own for awhile. I grew up in New York, walking past the city basketball courts in 5th grade has to be more scary than walking off a plane in a foreign country with no one waiting (yeah, I'll say that now, right?)...but still, has to be better than to jeopardize a year of my youth being unhappy, and I'm also looking out for the Hagwon director. They don't want to deal with a New Yorker when they don't get paid.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio wrote:
I'm totally gonna hit the ground running when I get off the plane and look for a good legal visa sponsored job...but if they're not hiring until August or September, I'll need some sort of a cushioning income.

I wouldn't advise your plan of attack, especially if you are a newbie. Korea totally takes some adjustment and the culture some getting-used-to.

Your best bet is to e-mail your resume and talk to a recruiter and land a job from the country you're in BEFORE you come here blind.

But if you do come here first, bring the minimum of $1500-2000 US to cover your expenses. Don't forget your documents:

Valid Passport
Diploma, or copy notorized by Korea Consulate in your country.
College Transcripts

It also sounds to me, especially since you've been posting a lot of topic on this board, that you're running away from something. I don't suggest coming to Korea in this manner. Settle your business first at home.

Contact employers first and recruiters. Your employer can pay for your airfare before you arrive. I'm not sure about reimbursement.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=blue]It also sounds to me, especially since you've been posting a lot of topic on this board, that you're running away from something. I don't suggest coming to Korea in this manner. Settle your business first at home.

Ever seen the movie, Boiler room?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It also sounds to me, especially since you've been posting a lot of topic on this board, that you're running away from something. I don't suggest coming to Korea in this manner. Settle your business first at home.

Scorpio, Matthew's being your best friend here. Listen to the wise advice - best advice you've got here yet.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im alluding to the situation here. I want to start a business out in California, but need money. In commodities, I worked for ECC in Pompano beach. There was a sting at our place due to countess law suits against the senior closer and the owner over ill-practices and boiler room tactics. We had a bunch of salted leads (brought on by the FCC... SALTED, meaning, Mrs. Johnson was not really Mrs. Johnson, but Mrs. FCC) They tapped everyline put locks on the doors and got everything. I was the newest broker so they had nothing on me, and I'm totally in the clear, but anyone associated with them will lose the series 3 and I want at sometime in my life a series 7, and that would be made impossible. Also, back to the business, it also causes a delema because if I'm in the middle of started a restaurant in CA, I can't be bothered with Subpoenas to testify. So yeah, to clarify things, you're pretty quick there, Boiler Room minus the Ferraris...(for me anyway, the owner had 2 and a hummer)

Last edited by Scorpio on Sat May 24, 2003 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio wrote:
Think back to 1986 NINTENDO Wrestling...wasn't there an asian character, Kim Chee?

No. The character was Kin Corn Karn, and was listed as being from Korea.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it wasn't NINTENDO WRESTLING, but another stellar 8-bit game...cause I do remember a KimChee...by the way, you're right though, Kin Korn Kon...that was excellent...how'd you reach back and pull that out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: