Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Arguing with Young Regressives
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swartz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
And I think you can make the case that some of our friends on this site who think of themselves on the right care far less about constitutional protections and small government than about ethnicity/nationalism/whatever their hobbyhorse is.

Perhaps if the establishment right had been even remotely effective at limiting government and stopping the other side from importing a new voter base, there wouldn't be a need for Whites to engage in identity politics and we could go back to talking about all these wonderful abstract principles.

Leon wrote:
I think making it a partisan issue obfuscates the fact that a large number of Americans would like to limit free speech, the only disagreement is of which type of speech they dislike.

If only your implied parity was in any way realistic. Since the establishment right mentioned above has proven itself to be little more than a stooge of the left, it's not. The left controls the narrative, dominates the halls of power, and is the leading force behind this move to create a “hate speech” loophole to free speech. Leftists talking about the right limiting free speech is about as irrelevant as their cries of fascism.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of free speech is fine and well in the abstract, but back to the nonpartisan topic at hand-- the quality, and/or lack of it of the American Thinker site that has become more and more prevalent at our humble esl forum.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because it's gay ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/walt-hawkins/american-stinker_b_3128470.html
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
Maybe because it's gay ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/walt-hawkins/american-stinker_b_3128470.html

the HP

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Titus2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoToronto wrote:
Democrats, as far as I can tell, seem to be very much for freedom of speech, freedom of the press, unreasonable search/seizure, a right to not be compelled in court to be a witness against yourself, cruel and unusual punishment, etc.

I'm not aware of many democrats that work to eliminate these rights.

1) Freedom of speech: see "hate speech"
2) Freedom of the press: a childish notion. The press is a component of a Regime. Democrats are the inner party of the Regime. The press is not distinct from the Regime. Do you understand that? Anyway, liberalism is enforced by economic terrorism. There are ways to ensure the regime consensus is not challenged that don't involve closing newspapers: https://handleshaus.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/bullied-and-badgered-pressured-and-purged/
3) What's "unreasonable"? Anyway, the police of solidly Democrat cities (SF, NYC, etc) are oders of magnitude more aggressive than Republican areas. This is related to #2, where places like SF/NYC are where the Regime chooses to live, and as such the rules are different. I assume this is true in Damascus and Pyongyang too.
4) A right to not be etc etc: This right does not exist in any meaningful way.
5) Cruel and unusual punishment: I suppose you'll reference water boarding? Yeah, maybe they don't like it. They'll drone your wedding from the sky and murder your whole family, but won't water board you. IF you're thinking more domestic, it is even more ridiculous, but that topic will go on for pages and I don't have sufficient interest so win for you.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus2 wrote:
TorontoToronto wrote:
Democrats, as far as I can tell, seem to be very much for freedom of speech, freedom of the press, unreasonable search/seizure, a right to not be compelled in court to be a witness against yourself, cruel and unusual punishment, etc.

I'm not aware of many democrats that work to eliminate these rights.

1) Freedom of speech: see "hate speech"
2) Freedom of the press: a childish notion. The press is a component of a Regime. Democrats are the inner party of the Regime. The press is not distinct from the Regime. Do you understand that? Anyway, liberalism is enforced by economic terrorism. There are ways to ensure the regime consensus is not challenged that don't involve closing newspapers: https://handleshaus.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/bullied-and-badgered-pressured-and-purged/
3) What's "unreasonable"? Anyway, the police of solidly Democrat cities (SF, NYC, etc) are oders of magnitude more aggressive than Republican areas. This is related to #2, where places like SF/NYC are where the Regime chooses to live, and as such the rules are different. I assume this is true in Damascus and Pyongyang too.
4) A right to not be etc etc: This right does not exist in any meaningful way.
5) Cruel and unusual punishment: I suppose you'll reference water boarding? Yeah, maybe they don't like it. They'll drone your wedding from the sky and murder your whole family, but won't water board you. IF you're thinking more domestic, it is even more ridiculous, but that topic will go on for pages and I don't have sufficient interest so win for you.

See CC
Titus2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is CC.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus2 wrote:
What is CC.

CentralCali
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:

See CC

Last I checked, this site is not run by the government.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: