Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deodorant?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unilever has begun promoting anti-perspirant on t.v. commercials in Korea, so I think it could catch on and become standard in this conformist culture.

I have no problem finding two Korean brands of anti-perspirant spray in local supermarkets and, yes, cosmetic beauty shops. That said, I brought a dozen of my favourite Dry Idea roll-ons from Canada.
jajdude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some deod. today in Shinchon (Yonsei), near exit #8 of the subway station. Glad to hear about yatap. Strange Koreans aren't into deod. Not saying they smell bad but just seems strange. Read an interesting story the other day about a woman trying to buy tampons in Yemen. Lol.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to get some (really expensive!) deodorant/antiperspirant at the Aveda counter at Lotte Department Store. Does anyone know if it's still available. Apparently, in the US, Aveda has stopped carrying antiperspirant because the aluminum conflicts with their "natural products" philosophy.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Crystal rock deodorant, I dont understand why the whole world isnt onto it. Aussie product, available all over North America in natural food stores & trendier drugstores. $4 buys a chunk will last a year to 18 months. Easy, natural, & effective. Have it sent (havent seen it here) or pick one up next visit home. I'll never use overpriced factory product again.

It's great when it works, but I've had a BAD contact dermatitis reaction to it. So bad I couldn't put ANYTHING on my pits for over a week!
jsbankston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all of you use either stick or roll-on? Those drive me nuts. Stick is the worst--it's like rubbing my armpits with a moist bar of soap. I have to have spray deodorant.
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever seeing spray deod. in Korea.
Thumbnail Postermonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it daily but I bought it on a dare the last time I was in Japan....I'm happy with the performance but it stings when I spray me pouch in the morning.....as an aside, my employer wants me to quit washing my kit in the morning in the community sink.....anyway, spray is good.
huntjuliehunt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: CRYSTAL DEODORANT... Make the switch. Reply with quote

Most deodorant contains aluminum and other chemicals. Aluminum is a potential brest cancer causer. I recommend that everyone switch to "Crystal" deodorant available in the USA at all natural food stores. It completely works, it destroys bacteria, and it allows any cologne or perfume you wear to be smelled alone, without a mixed scent of the cheap perfumes they put in deodorant. One crystal stick lasts about 1 year and costs about 6 dollars.
Gregarious Monk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in and vouch for the crystal stick deodorant (anti-perspirant). I've been using the stuff for years and it's great! It's cheap, lasts about 12-18 months and has no odour. You can buy it from online retailers but I'm not sure about shipping to Korea.

I can't vouch for the company at this website, but they have all the info: http://www.thecrystal.com/

The stuff usually comes from Thailand so you must be able to get it somewhere in Asia.
MiniMoonks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Korean's do not use deodorant. I brought a few extra sticks when I studied in Seoul years back.

Here is an excellent link though that shows you (with pictures) of where to buy some in the Dongdaemun shopping district.

http://thedailykimchi.blogspot.com/2006/09/our-journey-to-dongdaemunthe-search.html
Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a student of mine, Koreans have 90% fewer sweat glands compared to whites. He was very confident and proud of this "fact".
alibuch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy deodorant anywhere... emart, 7-11, etc. They sell Nivea deodorant everywhere.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal deodorant does not work for everyone.
Nivea does not work for everyone.

YMMV, but I still maintain that you should bring deodorant to Korea unless you have very minimal needs in this area.

PLEASE don't be one of those foreign guys who thinks he can go without. You can't, and I don't want to get within ten feet of you!
Stormy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell Driclor at the pharmacies here.....best stuff since sliced bread. Put some on before bed, wash it off in the morning & no sweat for at least a couple of days.
elavndrc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this stall in MyungDong that ONLY sells deodorant...it was odd but when I saw it...I knew it was for foreigners lol

You may be able to find it if you walk out of the bigger streets...I can't remember exactly where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: