Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanoi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
For you who have been to Hanoi and other parts of VN - did you take malaria pills? I know everyone has their own opinion on the subject, but how did you personally approach the issue......

Never never never.

I've never taken any malaria pills in my life.

I think I'd only consider if it I were going to spend a lot of time in Africa's outback.. or maybe rural Cambodia. But cities in Vietnam.. I would never even consider it.
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did either Tiger, though I only left HCMC a bit during my 5 months there. But an Australian buddy I met here in Korea said he took them a lot while there as safety precaution. Then again, he rode a motorbike up and down the whole damn country with his gf for 2-3 weeks.

Suffice to say, I was impressed.
Nabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Beaches Reply with quote

Considering Hanoi as a holiday destination in August. Just wondering how far the beaches are from Hanoi? Are they any good?

Cheers
deessell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you fly (or train) down to Hoi An. Good beaches, good food and excellent tailors also a good range of accomodation.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes-- there's a sleeper train which is decent if you get the best class which will take you to just north of Hoi An. There's a pleasant beach near Hoi An which you can get to by renting a motorbike with good seafood. Great food in Hoi An and a nice place to take a one-day cooking class.

Ken:>
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Hoi An a couple of times, and was even tempted again this summer. Great place. If you get clothes made, though, be careful about the quality of the fabric and the tailor.

It's a beautiful, very laid back place with great food.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Water Puppets story:

I wasn't that interested in seeing it, but the night before Tet last I was out wondering the streets looking for .. . ? When I was approached by a scooter carrying the most used broken woman I'd seen so far in Hanoi. She wanted me to get on so we could go to 'quiet place' for a little 'love pump'. "$35" she said, despite the obvious look of derision disgust that I flashed her. Having been raised to be polite to most especially those obviously less fortunate, I replied that no, I wasn't interested in love pump, no thank you. Said woman proceeded to follow me around for several blocks on her scooter, dropping the price in $5 increments every 200 meters or so. I was looking for a way out, when lo and behold I found myself standing in front of the Water Puppets theatre, which was giving the final show before Tet. Motobike woman was screaming "$10! Hey, Joe, $10 for you!! I know good clean place" as I approached and bought my ticket to get inside. The women behind the glass spoke rapidly in Vietnamese to each other, then addressed me: "you go with her?" they asked. I shook my head vehemently NO, and they nodded, wisely, sagely, "Good. She no good girl." Scooter girl drove away cursing me and the next 7 generations of my family.

Best $8 I ever spent, and the show actually was pretty entertaining, even the Korean guy standing in front of me trying to film the whole damn thing with his digicam, blocking the view of the 4 rows behind him. The look of surprise when I asked him politely to sit down in Korean was priceless and an added bonus.
deessell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the motorbike hookers in Hanoi can be quite aggressive. Some fellow male teachers at my school would be followed home by hordes of them trying to get into the house. Quite funny really.
desultude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steroidmaximus wrote:
The Water Puppets story:

I wasn't that interested in seeing it, but the night before Tet last I was out wondering the streets looking for .. . ? When I was approached by a scooter carrying the most used broken woman I'd seen so far in Hanoi. She wanted me to get on so we could go to 'quiet place' for a little 'love pump'. "$35" she said, despite the obvious look of derision disgust that I flashed her. Having been raised to be polite to most especially those obviously less fortunate, I replied that no, I wasn't interested in love pump, no thank you. Said woman proceeded to follow me around for several blocks on her scooter, dropping the price in $5 increments every 200 meters or so. I was looking for a way out, when lo and behold I found myself standing in front of the Water Puppets theatre, which was giving the final show before Tet. Motobike woman was screaming "$10! Hey, Joe, $10 for you!! I know good clean place" as I approached and bought my ticket to get inside. The women behind the glass spoke rapidly in Vietnamese to each other, then addressed me: "you go with her?" they asked. I shook my head vehemently NO, and they nodded, wisely, sagely, "Good. She no good girl." Scooter girl drove away cursing me and the next 7 generations of my family.

Best $8 I ever spent, and the show actually was pretty entertaining, even the Korean guy standing in front of me trying to film the whole damn thing with his digicam, blocking the view of the 4 rows behind him. The look of surprise when I asked him politely to sit down in Korean was priceless and an added bonus.

Good story. Sometimes I am glad not to be a guy! Hey, I was within blocks of you that night- wandering around the lake and watching the fireworks. Small world.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was within blocks of you that night- wandering around the lake and watching the fireworks. Small world.

indeed. If only I'd made the effort to go to a Dave's gathering, I might have recognized you since I spent quite a bit of time round then wandering the lake district. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: