Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how dumb is he?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

George W. Bush - how dumb is he?
Dumb like a rhino. You know, like something that just breathes a lot and wrecks stuff. Really, rhino dumb is like when you're too dumb to survive without the help of people who like rhinos.
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
$#!+ dumb. Like when you're dumb as $#!+.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Carson Daly dumb. Dumb as dirt, but through a bit of undeserved good fortune you come into a position of influence, except you're too dumb to seize the opportunity and maybe prove that you're not as dumb as people think, because you really are that dumb.
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
He's not dumb. You are. But not as dumb as me.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
That's funny.

Most countries in Asia that I've lived in have some form of national healthcare.

Why pin it on Europe?

That's funny.

Where, praytell, did I mention healthcare?

I'm not referring to just socialized medicine, I'm talking the whole kit and kaboodle of the social welfare state in Europe. I'm talking 30 hour work weeks, government mandated job security, extensive government mandated vacation time, etc. Incredibly generous unemployment, welfare, and pension systems that breed inefficiency. All of these things lead to an ossified, poorly motivated, inflexible workforce. It's not just Europe, the US, and Japan you're competing with anymore, folks. You've got to compete with China and India as well, and I don't see Europe having the will to compete economically with them. That's why I laugh when I hear people talking about the Euro as the new international standard in currency. Not gonna happen, because any economist worth their salt can see the very nasty correction coming down the road for it.

Is a social safety net a good thing? Within reason, yes. However, the Europeans don't have a safety net, they have a friggin' feather bed.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:

You missed Kerry in that last line.

The guy that accussed his fellow servicemen of atrocities he never witnessed, met with the enemy while still an officer, threw his medals away, and was buddies with Jane Fonda?

Sorry, but traitors don't merit war hero status in my book.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
As opposed to what? Clinton, who admitted to running off to Oxford and protesting? At least Bush put on a uniform (and knows how to salute, which humorously Clinton never learned how to do).

I find it incredibly insulting and disrespectful for a man who dodged military service to put on a uniform and walk around saluting people like he knows what *beep* he's doing. Clinton probably understood how veterans would perceive thatt. He has the ability to think about the consequences of his actions before he starts shit up.

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Besides, if our sole criteria for electing people was war hero status, well, McCain, Dole, and Bush Sr. are all still available.

I would gladly welcome John McCain as President. Despite the fact that he still endorses Bush after the crap George pulled during the 2000 primaries, McCain usually thinks for himself and doesn't tow the party line. Dole - too old, no charisma. Bush Sr. - mediocre at best. He's the Jimmy Carter of the Republican party.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:
I find it incredibly insulting and disrespectful for man who dodged military service at all costs to put on a uniform and walk around saluting people like he knows what *beep* he's doing.

Wow. That's a veritable fountain of ignorance you've just displayed there.

A) Any president, whether a veteran or not, must salute. Those marines who form his honor guard? He's got to salute them, and they him. That's sort of part and parcel of being commander in chief.

B) Bush didn't avoid military service. It could be argued that he avoided Vietnam, which is completely different.

But please, rebut me braintrust.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

You missed Kerry in that last line.

The guy that accussed his fellow servicemen of atrocities he never witnessed, met with the enemy while still an officer, threw his medals away, and was buddies with Jane Fonda?

He had the courage to speak out against a pointless war, after he fulfilled his duty. Go ahead and put the man down for disagreeing with his country - we all know how much you hate that.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Any president, whether a veteran or not, must salute. Those marines who form his honor guard? He's got to salute them, and they him. That's sort of part and parcel of being commander in chief.

Apple Scruff wrote:
I find it incredibly insulting and disrespectful for man who dodged military service at all costs to put on a uniform and walk around saluting people like he knows what *beep* he's doing.

I am aware that he is required to go through the motions. I'm just suggesting that Bush doesn't understand or respect the meaning the behind it. He's probably thinking about the fried chicken he just had for dinner and wondering why this young man who's saluting him is missing his leg and a few fingers.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

The thing I heaqrd about that "testy" fighter jet is that it's performance was disreputable enough to make it highly unlikely to be used in 'Nam ... which is why he joined the Guard in the first place, isn't it?

As opposed to what? Clinton, who admitted to running off to Oxford and protesting?

Clinton did the right thing by opting out and protesting a bad war. 'Nam was the wrong war at the start, it was the wrong war in the middle and it was wrong all the way through - not even talking about the napalmed kids here, it was wrong for America.

Quote:
At least Bush put on a uniform (and knows how to salute, which humorously Clinton never learned how to do).

The hidden joke here is about WHICH uniform he put on, precisely the one that would keep him out of harm's way. Oh, and he chose the right plane to fly, too, what a coincidence.

Quote:
Was Bush some sort of war hero? Nope. Did he have strings pulled to get into the Guard and avoid Vietnam? Undoubtedly. What I question is why is this such a bombshell when your guy did even less?

Protesting a bad war is not doing less - it's doing a more. Much more than Bush, who put on a uniform as a show of support and then did everything he could to make sure he'd never spend a day in SE Asia.

Quote:
Besides, if our sole criteria for electing people was war hero status, well, McCain, Dole, and Bush Sr. are all still available.

You left out Kerry ... so strange that you left a guy out of your list who not only volunteered but recieved wounds - or is it strange?

No, very predictable.

Quote:

If you were standing up in flesh and blood and saying that in front of actual people, it would be legally actionable as slander. Isn't the anonymoty of the internet a wonderful thing?

(Wonderful for small little men who get a kick out of attacking those above them from a hidden place free from consecuences ... um, not thinking of anyone in particular her, of course.)

Quote:
Bush didn't avoid military service. It could be argued that he avoided Vietnam, which is completely different.

At that time in American history, it was the most important thing.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:

Clinton did the right thing by opting out and protesting a bad war. 'Nam was the wrong war at the start, it was the wrong war in the middle and it was wrong all the way through - not even talking about the napalmed kids here, it was wrong for America.

And the anti-war left was certainly always principled. They never burned American flags, waved the North Vietnamese flag, or spit on vets.

If you were against the war and were so for principled reasons, I've got no problem with you. There's a difference, though, in how so much of the left reacted to that war (and this war). They weren't so much against the war as they were against America. And you know what? They still are. Take a look at the Moveon.orgs, take a look at the little protest marches/temper tantrums coming out of Berkeley. It's a small minority, but it's a vocal one, and thankfully they're playing right into conservative hands.

Because you know what? A lot of people may not agree wholesale with conservatives, but they do know that they don't agree with that group of jackasses. That brand of liberalism; your brand of liberalism, Bobster, is deader than a doornail. You're a dying species, thank Christ. Conservatism is ascendant almost in spite of itself, because it's playing against a team of losers, the old McGovernite fossils like yourself and your allies the idiot Starbucks, McDonald's busting anarcho-hippy wannabe's who have taken over the Democratic party. Your ilk will keep conservatism chugging along happily for a good long while.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
As to the stupidity charge, you show your own ignorance when you call him stupid. A stupid person doesn't learn how to fly a notoriously testy fighter jet. Of course, neither does that make him a genius (...)

The thing I heaqrd about that "testy" fighter jet is that it's performance was disreputable enough to make it highly unlikely to be used in 'Nam ... which is why he joined the Guard in the first place, isn't it?

All of which does not make him a genius or a buffoon but rather just a kid from a rich family who knows how to take advice from people smarter than him ...

Being a test pilot is a safe job Rolling Eyes
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:

Shake the cobwebs out, Joo. Nobody said, "test" pilot. They said "testy" fighter jet. You do have an online dictionary for words like 'testy', don't you?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
If you were against the war and were so for principled reasons, I've got no problem with you. There's a difference, though, in how so much of the left reacted to that war (and this war). They weren't so much against the war as they were against America. And you know what? They still are. Take a look at the Moveon.orgs, take a look at the little protest marches/temper tantrums coming out of Berkeley. It's a small minority, but it's a vocal one, and thankfully they're playing right into conservative hands.

Talk about your old, outdated and tired lines of reasoning ... one more time, people who oppose the policies of a particular rightwing administration do not do so out of hatred of America, but rather a love of our country so profound that it impels them to take risks regarding the quality and scope of their future success in America. I reckon Hank here will never have to worry about Secret Service agents knocking on his door due to signs he might want to post in his front yard or even for accusing a war vet and American Senator of treason. Yeah, real big cojones on The Hankster there.

Quote:
Conservatism is ascendant almost in spite of itself, because it's playing against a team of losers, the old McGovernite fossils like yourself and your allies the idiot Starbucks, McDonald's busting anarcho-hippy wannabe's who have taken over the Democratic party. Your ilk will keep conservatism chugging along happily for a good long while.

I was too young to vote for McGovern, I hate Starbuck's and the best way to fight Mickey D's is to just buy your burgers somewhere else ... in short, Hank, you are foaming at the mouth again, but unsurprisingly, it makes little difference since you never have a lick of sense even when you are calm.

And the poll numbers regarding the conservatives have been slipping steadily ever since DeLay and the Schlavio case ...
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:

Shake the cobwebs out, Joo. Nobody said, "test" pilot. They said "testy" fighter jet. You do have an online dictionary for words like 'testy', don't you?

If this boy is sober when he posts someone really ought to introduce him to www.dictionary.com
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
And the poll numbers regarding the conservatives have been slipping steadily ever since DeLay and the Schlavio case ...

I oftentimes enjoy Hank, but The Bobster definitely has him on this one.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

I oftentimes enjoy Hank, but The Bobster definitely has him on this one.

Yep, he's got a point, and I've lamented this fact as well.

It doesn't necessarily bode well for us in 2008, either, because I think we'll have a tough time nominating either McCain or Giuliani. And that's important because I have no doubt that Hillary will be the Democratic nominee, and she's an extremely capable politician who hasn't made a misstep yet. While her party's racing left she's done an admirable job of maintaining the masque that she's a slightly hawkish centrist. Of course it's BS, but politics are about image, and she's been doing a bang up job of maintaining an effective illusion.

If the RNC goes down the road I think it's headed and nominates a loser like Bill Frist he'll get slaughtered. Either Giuliani or McCain could defeat her handily, but I have serious doubts that we'll be able to get past the ideologues in our party and go with a moderate.

We need to beat it into their heads that while these guys may not be in lockstep with the Republican plank, that unlike any other candidate, they can actually win. Better to retain power with someone you're not 100% with than to lose it to your chief rival.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB
Quote:
Talk about your old, outdated and tired lines of reasoning ... one more time, people who oppose the policies of a particular rightwing administration do not do so out of hatred of America, but rather a love of our country so profound that it impels them to take risks regarding the quality and scope of their future success in America. I reckon Hank here will never have to worry

I would say alot of them are just afraid that the US would be better off and they don't want that. They don't think the US ought to have the power to force behavior changes on mid east regimes. That is what I think motivates a lot of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: