Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allah hu Akbar yelled the veiled lasses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this super secret technique called sometimes-read-the-blog-of-respected-posters-on-the-board. Razz I remembered that entry, that's all.

Another easy way to go over a site is to get Google to go over just the one by typing site:www.eslcafe.com for example, which will only return results within the specified page.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by Mith, I did a google search of my name and Yemen. The first thing that popped up was a letter to the Yemen Times I wrote last fall:

http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=774&p=opinion&a=5

Ah yes, there I am, being an apologist for Arabs and Muslims in general.
shakuhachi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Inspired by Mith, I did a google search of my name and Yemen. The first thing that popped up was a letter to the Yemen Times I wrote last fall:

I must admit I am pleased to see you wrote that - Can we expect to see more such even handedness in the future?
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:

I must admit I am pleased to see you wrote that - Can we expect to see more such even handedness in the future?

Can we ever to expect to see any semblance of even-handedness from you in the present or future. Duh.

BB, isn't a dancing dog doing tricks to amuse your condescending ass.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Bird wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Thanks be to Mozilla, I did not see your photo, but I'm sure it's a beaut.

I'm still puzzling over quite what you mean by this. It has flown over my head rather. I'm assuming it's an insult of some sort? Perhaps you are trying to say I'm ugly? If so, that's a very childish insult, and, happily, quite wrong.

No insult intended. It's merely that I've set the browser I use not to display images. If that was a picture of you, no offense intended.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
I too have been troubled every single time I hear someone use the word "civilized" when referring to the imperial occupier or "the West" in general though I generally feel like it's useless to complain to the person who is abusing the word. The simian-in-chief is fond of saying it and so is his puppet master Cheney even as they have their minions torture people.

It is useless, perhaps because it is true. I see the current abomination of the Bush/Cheney regime as a temporary blight, not an inevitable result. I understand that you may disagree.

R.S. Refugee wrote:
It is only because of moral blindness and intense self-deception that anyone can call what we have done to the Iraqis civilized. And I don't mean just the torture. I mean every death of a non-combatant in that bedeviled land.

I don't call what we have done to the Iraqis civilized. I believe just the opposite and have, in fact, actively protested both Gulf Wars that the U.S. has initiated. However, just as I would not claim that Germans are not civilized because of an unfortunate twelve-year period in their history, so I am unwilling to claim that my own culture is uncivilized because it's strongest nation is now led by a retarded madman.

R.S. Refugee wrote:
It is the height of arrogance to use that term "civilized" in relation to us. Please do me a big favor and don't use it again in this context.

I disagree, for the reasons stated above, and will continue to. If you wish to believe that the culture of which you are a member is not civilized, that's your prerogative.

R.S. Refugee wrote:
And don't minimize the value of zero either. Though it would take a much more scientifically educated person than myself to confirm it, I don't think we would be flying around in space if we were relying on Roman numerals and didn't have zero.

Obviously the fact that it is our culture that conquered the atom, the gene, the oceans, the sky, and space speaks to the fact that we brought something to the table.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:

R.S. Refugee wrote:
And don't minimize the value of zero either. Though it would take a much more scientifically educated person than myself to confirm it, I don't think we would be flying around in space if we were relying on Roman numerals and didn't have zero.

Obviously the fact that it is our culture that conquered the atom, the gene, the oceans, the sky, and space speaks to the fact that we brought something to the table.

I never said we didn't. That would be absurd. But we did it with invaluable contributions from the cradle of civilization in the Arab world.

(I wouldn't so much say that "we've conquered the atom" as I would that "the atom may conquer us.")
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
Big_Bird wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Thanks be to Mozilla, I did not see your photo, but I'm sure it's a beaut.

I'm still puzzling over quite what you mean by this. It has flown over my head rather. I'm assuming it's an insult of some sort? Perhaps you are trying to say I'm ugly? If so, that's a very childish insult, and, happily, quite wrong.

No insult intended. It's merely that I've set the browser I use not to display images. If that was a picture of you, no offense intended.

Ah, now I understand. You mean you didn't see the picture of kitty's arse.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never said we didn't. That would be absurd. But we did it with invaluable contributions from the cradle of civilization in the Arab world.

The zero was invented/developed/discovered by the Indians, not the Arabs.

The Cradle of Civilization was overrun by the Arabs, not founded by them.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie Cheswyck wrote:

The Cradle of Civilization was overrun by the Arabs, not founded by them.

Indeed. And I also get really tired of hearing just how much the Muslims kept Hellenistic culture alive. No, no they didn't. The Graeco Roman worldview was and is anathema to everything Islam stands for. Socrates, Archimedes, Plato, and Pliny the Elder were not exactly high up in their reading list, and it certainly wasn't literature they sought to preserve at all costs. You'd also think that such lovers and preservers of knowledge wouldn't have been so eager to sack and burn the library of Alexandria.

The people who kept Hellenistic/Latin culture, art, and literature alive were the Byzantines; you know, the Roman empire that didn't fall until 1453 from the Ottoman Turks. Beyond that our only substantial contact with Islam was through the crusades (which was about reconquering lands taken through Arab conquest), the reconquista to free Spain of the Muslims (again, gained by conquest), and through the trading republic of Venetia (and they had naval battles constantly with the muslims).
shakuhachi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
Mama mia, bucheon bum. You are really taking a lot of abuse lately from some of the bigoted trash that likes to infest this board.

I think you are more a case of...
desultude

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:

Well, he sent me a googling also, and I found that something I wrote a while ago, a chapter in an anthology on language policy in the U.S., is on the reading list for a course at Wellsley. Damn, that makes me feel good. Thanks, Mith.
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Well, he sent me a googling also, and I found that something I wrote a while ago, a chapter in an anthology on language policy in the U.S., is on the reading list for a course at Wellsley. Damn, that makes me feel good. Thanks, Mith.

That's pretty cool desultude! Cool
sundubuman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bum,

excellent letter to the Yemen Times.

Sadly, in many areas of the Arab world, such sentiments, if truly felt.....were to be truly expressed....would lead to murder.

That's what we are fighting for. It's all about freedom. Freedom to agree and freedom to disagree.

As a westerner, your letter could be published. Many, if not most of the locals, agree with the sentiments expressed therein. However, they are not free to do so themselves.

Kind of like a non-anti-American/Japanese Korean must feel in an ESL class where 9 of the 10 students engaging in groupthink are nodding about the evils committed by America and Japan..... Even here, a dissenting voice more often than not silences itself. Sad.

Long live the West.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: