Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting article about Korean companies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Interesting article about Korean companies. Reply with quote

Seven reasons why Korea has the worst productivity in the OECD. While we are somewhat shielded from this as English teachers, we have all experienced parts of this and viewed the culture upfront.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/3698/insider-perspective-seven-reasons-why-korea-has-worst-productivity-oecd

Way down below in the comments, this interested me even more than the article.

"

Steve Lee • 2 months ago

Sad but true. Its one of the few examples of how business principles (or social principles in general) need to change with time

By 1954, 60 years ago, a year after the Korean war, South Korea was one of the poorest and most devastated countries in the world, with a GDP lower than that of North Korea at that time. However a robust industry, strong and directorial leadership (both governmental and corporate), combined with foreign investment and infrastructural development allowed South Korea to become the worlds #14 largest GDP in less than 60 years, and world's #1 GDP when it comes to GDP/Land Area ratio.

But that was decades ago. Modern economical focus for both Korea and the world has shifted. Its a time when people need to be more innovative; more connected and less sequestered, creative flexibility over standardized excellence. This article seems to point that out. I am a South Korean myself, but I have decided to pursue my engineering degree here in the US because I just can't see myself in the current system. My dream is to establish a start-up in chemical industry or service technology. Me and my friend have a lot of ideas and innovations we want to work on and hopefully to get venture capital funding, but the fact that the ease of starting a business in South Korea has become so hard has led me here. Korea is dominated by colossal corporations like Samsung that seem to dominate every genre of business and economy. Again, this system of chaebol worked well in the 70s and 80s when the government can subsidize specific companies with specialization that makes them competitive and standout in the global economic market. (Samsung- Electronics, Hyundai- economy cars, LG- electronics, Daewoo- Shipbuilding) These corporations ultimately became leaders of domestic growth. Recently however, competition for new innovators becomes increasingly difficult. Innovation is not as encouraged, and even successful innovative venture firms ones are ultimately acquired by these corporations.

I encourage South Korea to reflect on this issue."
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other interesting comments, from the article, below:

"

Guy Citron • a month ago

Really well put. I would also add that on a brighter note there is a general understanding among the now 20-30 year old generation that the system is flawed. They know it. The problem is that the old guard who maintain their traditional yet ultimately inefficient work style are still holding the reigns."

"Vinsanity • 2 months ago

man i was born and spent more than 20 yrs in korea, and i have to admit that those issues addressed above are true to me... my greencard is coming out next year and i'm out of this crazy country as soon as it happens for good. peace out."
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want this to be simply a bash Korea thread. But, it gives an idea about the work culture here. The older folks want sacrifice or the appearance of it. The younger ones want to live more like us.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before, I think at least some part of the workplace inefficiency number are as much related to other factors than just office work.

Think about the large number of family owned businesses that are open for 12-18 hours a day such as convenience stores, restaurants, bars, noraebangs, etc. The very nature of such jobs means that you will work longer. Additionally you have all the greeter and other type of excess people you see in supermarkets and the like. There's a lot of superfluous labor out there that would have been axed long ago back home.

Efficiency isn't everything. Korea could move up in the rankings by firing all of those Emart food samplers and having a 2AM last call and not having as many 24 hour places.

Cheap consumer goods, the magic zone of workplace efficiency and short-term quarterly gains are the backbone of an economy. Not widespread gainful employment and small business ownership.

Besides, as noted, S. Korea is number 1 in terms of GDP/Land Area ratio. Doesn't that suggest a certain level of efficiency and productivity? Maybe Korea should ask the rest of the world why they are so unproductive and inefficient with the land they have?
Mix1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I don't want this to be simply a bash Korea thread. But, it gives an idea about the work culture here. The older folks want sacrifice or the appearance of it. The younger ones want to live more like us.

Seems like no matter how true something is or not, many Koreans (and apologists) will take it as bashing/criticism and focus on that part only.

I read some of the points from the article to my gf, who has just joined a major Korean company. Bad idea.

From my perspective: just good conversation about work productivity and culture. Her view: A FOREIGNER wrote it so it's criticism! We already KNOW all these things. Uhhh.... It's about productivity numbers and work culture, not a hit piece.

Irony is, she complains about all these work practices all the time (company parties, staying late, etc.) but how dare a FOREIGNER mention it. And I thought: what a Korean way to view it. If I saw an article like that about USA, I'd be looking at the reasons themselves and evaluating them, not getting stressed out about someone talking "negatively" about the USA.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix,

That doesn't surprise me much. You'll learn to not have those types of conversations since it hurts her feelings. Of course it's ok for her to complain about it endlessly.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
As I've mentioned before, I think at least some part of the workplace inefficiency number are as much related to other factors than just office work.

Think about the large number of family owned businesses that are open for 12-18 hours a day such as convenience stores, restaurants, bars, noraebangs, etc. The very nature of such jobs means that you will work longer. Additionally you have all the greeter and other type of excess people you see in supermarkets and the like. There's a lot of superfluous labor out there that would have been axed long ago back home.

Efficiency isn't everything. Korea could move up in the rankings by firing all of those Emart food samplers and having a 2AM last call and not having as many 24 hour places.

Cheap consumer goods, the magic zone of workplace efficiency and short-term quarterly gains are the backbone of an economy. Not widespread gainful employment and small business ownership.

Besides, as noted, S. Korea is number 1 in terms of GDP/Land Area ratio. Doesn't that suggest a certain level of efficiency and productivity? Maybe Korea should ask the rest of the world why they are so unproductive and inefficient with the land they have?

I always agree with you up to a point, then you have to go and jump the shark - every single time. Land area to GDP? Really?
Lazio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Besides, as noted, S. Korea is number 1 in terms of GDP/Land Area ratio. Doesn't that suggest a certain level of efficiency and productivity?

No it doesn't. It suggests high population density.

Geez...
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR's conjuring another argument to support his nonsense.

What about GDP/Mountain Range ratio? Or, a GDP/Pepper Paste ratio?

Question
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then why isn't Korea bankrupt? That's another know it all who doesn't know what's really going on.

I see plenty of ways Koreans are raking it in.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So initially I though Korea #1 in GDP to land mass? Come on. What about Hong Kong and Singapore?Ii looked up the stats and Korea is #15.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:
Mix,

That doesn't surprise me much. You'll learn to not have those types of conversations since it hurts her feelings. Of course it's ok for her to complain about it endlessly.

Yeah.
It just seems every topic/opinion about Korea has to be sugar-coated in the extreme so as not to "offend" them. Kind of a weird dynamic. Everything is taken personally.

Even a neutral stance is often interpreted as negative by them. Yeah I've learned not to have ANY conversations about it at all unless it's positive. Thought I could be real about a topic for once but I guess not.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
So then why isn't Korea bankrupt? That's another know it all who doesn't know what's really going on.

I see plenty of ways Koreans are raking it in.

They are doing well financially, but that doesn't automatically mean productivity numbers are going to be as good as they could be.

Obviously they are doing something right, but that doesn't mean everything is perfect. For example, we've all known Koreans who "have to" stay late at the job simply because their boss does, but are doing nothing during this time. That affects productivity numbers.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea's economic growth from it's origins after the Korean War is impressive. Many other countries flubbed it up and stayed poor. But, it does seem as though a small business here that wants to innovate can't. There are lots of Marts, Coffee Shops, Convenience Stores and the like. But, very few start ups and even less Venture Capital Funds. That part of the economy is lagging and 우리 나라 thinking seems to shield new ways of thinking, even from fellow Koreans, who probably get accused of being too foreign.

There are many things I do like here such as A/S which are far superior to the west. When something does need to actually be done, when they're determined to do it, they get at 'er and get things done quickly. (But often times, they really don't want to change things.)

An older Korean woman I know told me that many companies in Seoul don't want to hire Koreans who were abroad too long studying English because they won't be Korean enough when they go to work for them. Her words, not mine. However, the way kids are being raised now with parental overprotection and teachers having no control over kids anymore does mean the next generation will be very changed and that the old gaurd will eventually have no choice but to deal with them. (There'll simply be too many of them to ignore.)
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productivity has long been a cause of frustration in Korea. Here, it's the APPEARANCE of working hard that is treasured rather than the work produced itself. I know I didn't get a few contracts renewed because I tend to do things fast but well (if I may so boast) and don't play the deception game. And then you have the outright idiots who can't do a damn thing that are retained or even promoted just because they play office politics or kiss the right ass(es). It seems missing company outings can be more risky than missing deadlines, but hey, this is Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: