Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Many brits in korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Interested

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another head to be counted..

I'm British and I've only met a few other Brits in the 20 or so months I've been here. Luckily, I've got a couple in my actual workplace which is rather nice, as you can relax into back into your old accent and speaking habits. From time to time I meet one floating through Geckos in Itaewon.

China had a hell of a lot more Brits, but here in Korea they are obsessed with the North American accent and that probably accounts for the shortage.
Monty_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested wrote:
here in Korea they are obsessed with the North American accent and that probably accounts for the shortage.

I friend of mine recently started a hogwan job in Ansan, and his recruiter asked him to put on an American accent during the telephone interview with the school!

By eck' there's nay way you'll catch me doing that mucker. Smile
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty_ wrote:
Interested wrote:
here in Korea they are obsessed with the North American accent and that probably accounts for the shortage.

I friend of mine recently started a hogwan job in Ansan, and his recruiter asked him to put on an American accent during the telephone interview with the school!

By eck' there's nay way you'll catch me doing that mucker. Smile

I get a kick out of the "American accent" as well.. 'yo little guys.. like waz up!!??!! okay man now bust open those books..'

I find that 'American English' actually translates into please speak super super slow enunciating every single syllable and use the most simple straight-forward words you can find. Its nothing whatsoever to do with American English.. they should say please speak in "Konglish" as thats actually what it is.. (Koreanized English of some hybrid weird form of their perception of American English).
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not forget that brits are eligble to work in the EU, which I get the feeling would drag many a lifestyler to go teach somewhere like portugal.
I would love to work in southern europe.

CLG
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked the internet the average pay in the EU for TESL was about 800 euros. That's less than half my Korean wage.

Sometimes I think I should forget about the money and teach somewhere cool in Europe.

Living in Rome or Vienna would be 10 times better than Seoul?

Whaddya think?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:

Whaddya think?

If had EU status.. I'd definetely definetely definetely be somewhere in either Rome, Madrid or Lisbon.. (never been to them before however).. but with low wages and very unsure employment (I'm not EU - I'd have to do it under the table).. the chances are fairly low of me ever doing that (particularly since there are a half-dozen other non-EU places I'm very interested in).. however.. IF.. If..

Actually, and I'm not sure.. but I *think* thats why so few Brits come this way.. as well as most Brits do have more interest in China rather than Korea.. (if heading this way)..
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I know the money isn't great in europe, but I would love to live there.

CLG
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Have to hold my hands up and admit I'm from Aberdeen (and support the fitba team passionately, for my sins...)

There's a fair few of us misguided fools who support the boys in red, usually end up going to Itaewon every Saturday night to watch the Premiership football on telly and follow the Aberdeen game via the internet. Smile

I'm Canadian but my dad is from Aberdeen. I've been there twice to visit our relatives. Beautiful city by the ocean. Very friendly people. I really hope to go back to Scotland someday soon considering I'm 50% Scot.
mo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ Alias, not only are you a real Scottish Canadian (you wouldn't believe how many Cannucks/Yanks come up to Scots with all sorts of tenuous links), but you are indeed from the Granite City too.

If you're ever in Hollywoods on a Saturday night between 11pm and 1am, look for 2-3 lads watching fitba and hovering round the computer at the bar, and come over and give us some chat. Probably one of us will be in red (Holyjoe), one will be well dressed and good looking (me Cool ) and another a speccy blonde sod in trainers.

Bring a sheep over if you can. Wink
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the invitation. I'm currently on a break in Canada but I'll be heading back to Seoul sometime in November.

Anyone from the Hepburn clan?
jaebea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who's grown up most of his life in Australia, I love meeting British types who are on holiday down here. They always seem to have the most fun wherever I see them. Although the stereotype of the "whinging Pom" is common, I've met so many Brits with an amazing sense of humour who always make the most of whatever is dealt to them.

As for the football, it'd be awesome to hook up with expats on a regular basis to watch the Premier League. Nothing quite like watching a sporting event with truly passionate fans. :)

GO THE GUNNERS!

Shame their indifferent European form looks set to continue for 2003/2004.

:(

jae.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
Last time I checked the internet the average pay in the EU for TESL was about 800 euros. That's less than half my Korean wage.

Sometimes I think I should forget about the money and teach somewhere cool in Europe.

Whaddya think?

That's right, the work in Europe is a joke its so badly paid, but fortunately you dont need a visa to be there, so you get yourself a job with one of those stupid outfits like linguarama or Eurocentres, in a major city like Milan or Lisbon and steal as much of their work as you can for yourself, otherwise you'll be living on the breadline. If you're good you can make fair money there, but you got to work for yourself.

Life itself in Milan is a little better than Seoul, the food, nightlife, more relaxed lifestyle but Seoul kind of has that constant feeling that you're really out there and a long long way from home and I guess I like the industrious mentality here; "fighting!"
Monty_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aswell as the rubbish pay, you also need a tesl to teach in most countries as far as Im aware. Those are the two reasons that im looking at Korea.

Also, ive been to most of the European countries quite a few times, and Korea is completely different in terms of culture and everyday life. Thats what travelling is all about isnt it?
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I can't stand the English, but i'm happy to put the passport they gave me to good use. They also came up with a great language.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Solo... Reply with quote

[quote="Tiger Beer"]Let's see actually we did a poll.. which I just searched for.. apparently there are more Americans than Canadians.. either way though.. quite a few North Americans.. Wink

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=6344&highlight=whats+nationality

I'm Canadian but didn't post on the above thread. I was too busy, that day, looking for a Brit to date. Smile

Cheers,

Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: