Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How About Contests on Dave's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: How About Contests on Dave's? Reply with quote

I don't know if this'll go over too well, or if somebody has all ready discussed it, but how about having monthly or bi-monthly contests on this board? It'd be nice to have some contests in the arts, like photography, writing, poetry, or whatever. They could be either about Korea or whatever you choose.

This is better left to Dave and the mods, but I thought I'd bring it up. The catch would be that some of these contests would include an entry or admission fee and the winner get a cash prize, maybe like 100,000 won or so. Wouldn't be a bad idea. Just have a treasurer or find some way to submit funds via credit cards and what not.

Just an idea. But it might stir up some interest in Korea and among our own community on this board instead of all this hard-headed, head bashing, to-hell-with-Korea stuff.

Last edited by ThreeDogNight on Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the contest idea, but the mony thing won't fly, some peole are vigorously saving ping here. How about the contest and you just win the "honor" of best whatever for the month?

Last edited by kiwiboy_nz_99 on Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.. I was just thinking this morning if there were going to be any new ThreeDogNight posts..
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
I like the contest idea, but the mony thing won't fly, some peole are vigorously saving oping here. How about the contest and you just win the "honor" of best whatever for the month?

Money talks, you know. Make the admission, or entry fees small, like 10,000 won. I'm sure everyone can afford this measley amount.

The honors would be good, but it might make it more serious if we give a little prize.
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Strange.. I was just thinking this morning if there were going to be any new ThreeDogNight posts..

Me too, like the one about the elephant that was found sleeping in my bed but couldn't wake up this morning so I said "Move over" and found out it was your wife!

Just a joke.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThreeDogNight wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

Me too, like the one about the elephant that was found sleeping in my bed but couldn't wake up this morning so I said "Move over" and found out it was your wife!

Just a joke.

Hehe.. no but really. Actually, there are alot of pretty interesting personalities on ESL.. so it wasn't negative.. just a thought that occurred to me this morning. Welcome back aboard (not that you've been gone that long) - just seemed like a topic title from you was long overdue.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some genius make up several awards avatars? They could be a "trophy" of sorts that would be the winner's for a month or two...
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would pay 10 000 won, for a contest i thought I could win, like, say, brainiest guy, sexiest guy, coolest guy, or whatever, the money thing just won't fly. Contests, yes.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all you'd really need to do is start a thread on it.. make an announcement, organize it.. setup some rules.. and have a 'go'.

If its a photo contest.. they can post it on the thread.. same for whatever it is. If its writing.. maybe have the 'coolest' writing under 100 words or something.. post it on the same thread so everyone can compare. You'd have to set some kind of deadline date for last entry.. then hold a poll afterwards to judge the winner.. something like that.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Photoman Reply with quote

If we are gonna have 'Pictures' contest, then we've gotta make sure we ain't skimmin' shots from others.

I suggest we all must have a signature item (such as a soju bottle) in every picture....whatever. I just remember being in a photo 'contest' with a bunch of students and it was later found out that the 1st place person lifted photos off the net....bugger.

Shoosh,

R yst
Squid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Spelling bee.

Idea
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
I guess all you'd really need to do is start a thread on it.. make an announcement, organize it.. setup some rules.. and have a 'go'.

If its a photo contest.. they can post it on the thread.. same for whatever it is. If its writing.. maybe have the 'coolest' writing under 100 words or something.. post it on the same thread so everyone can compare. You'd have to set some kind of deadline date for last entry.. then hold a poll afterwards to judge the winner.. something like that.

This is a good idea for starters. I'm not the motivating type, however, so maybe one of the mods will catch on.

Matter-o-fact, all these ideas seem good. A prize might be more alluring for some, however, like a trip to Hawaii or something. What do you think?

About the previous post. I hope you didn't think it was negative either. Sorry if it was, and yeah, I guess I got one cool fan out there. The rest are dorks.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a photo contest, entrants can e-mail me the pictures as an attachment. I can put them on my server and either post them for the person, or PM them back the address to use, and they can post it themselves.

Regarding the issue of submitting someone elses work, we'll just have to use the honor system. Since there's no prize, there's no real reason to cheat.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Regarding the issue of submitting someone elses work, we'll just have to use the honor system. Since there's no prize, there's no real reason to cheat.

Or even another variation on the theme is who can find the best photo or image off the web Wink (without even having to take pictures)..

Another variation is who can find the most interesting webpage.. or you could get really wild and have a contest as follows:

Speed contest. Notify a date and time. Say something like first one to find a picture of a horse chasing a carrot.. have a race.. first to post it gets a point.. have a series of these.. maybe 10 or so.. the winner gets to to be taken out for a free dinner.. or something like that..

Not as creative as the writing or photo taking.. but just another variation on another theme..
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for competition www.pusanweb.com always has some running, i know it is not the same as competing on daves but there are loads of prizes and the talent is usually very high
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: