Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kermo



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Location: Eating eggs, with a comb, out of a shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy_arcade wrote:
I've heard a rumor that everytime one renews a contract a new criminal record check will be required. Surely, they'll have some sort of database to keep track of this stuff, right?


The whole notion is silly. I applied for a criminal records check back in 2003. I've spent mere weeks in my home country since then. What is a new criminal records check going to show? I just don't have time for crime sprees what with all the family visits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thunndarr



Joined: 30 Sep 2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy_arcade wrote:
I've heard a rumor that everytime one renews a contract a new criminal record check will be required. Surely, they'll have some sort of database to keep track of this stuff, right?


Yep. Just like how you don't have to submit your diploma every time you want to get a new E-2, because surely they've got a record somewhere of how you've done it already. Oh, wait...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JAWINSEOUL



Joined: 19 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell I disaster in the making Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hollywoodaction



Joined: 02 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermo wrote:
crazy_arcade wrote:
I've heard a rumor that everytime one renews a contract a new criminal record check will be required. Surely, they'll have some sort of database to keep track of this stuff, right?


The whole notion is silly. I applied for a criminal records check back in 2003. I've spent mere weeks in my home country since then. What is a new criminal records check going to show? I just don't have time for crime sprees what with all the family visits.


Yes, it's quite silly, even more so if you don't travel abroad for the duration of your contract. Makes you wonder what the real motives are behind that rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
potin14p



Joined: 04 May 2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwis: a police check takes a month to be processed and sent over here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yingwenlaoshi



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: ... location, location!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
chachee99 wrote:
I got the criminal record check form from the Canadian Embassy and finger prints done on Monday. I will mail it off tomorrow. However, my contract expires at the end of February. What happens if I don't get the results back in time? What is the fastest way to get this out of the way? The RCMP needs the originals and will not accept faxed copies.

If it doesn't come back to me by the my contract expires, will immigration at renew my visa with my employer and provide me with a grace period for the results to come back if I submit proof that these documents are being processed and returned back to me if takes longer than 3 months to arrive back to me?


Good on you - you did the right thing... a smart and wise move...

I am aware if you are Canadian and apply through the RCMP or are American and apply through the FBI - the POLICE-Check may take up to 6 months to arrive...

Hopefully, and I am sure - Immigration could give you a grace period, until your Police-check arrives...

Australians and NZ's are luckier - it only takes 6 weeks for a Federal Police check to arrive.....

Hence - if you are Canadian or American - I would apply for both IMMEDIATELY... if your visa is finishing during the next 6~8 months..
That way your "local POLICE-check" would arrive back within 3~4 weeks and you could at least give that to Immigration whilst waiting for your Federal Police-check to arrive...

You should have kept a copy of what you sent to the RCMP and also the receipt from the Post Office - to show Immigration that you have sent it - but it will take until end-of-May / June to arrive back...

In the meantime - I would have send the same thing also to your parents to take into your "local-home-city" police station... because that "Local police-check" should arrive back within 3~4 weeks...

at least you would be able to give Immigration the "local POLICE-CHECK" and ask them for a grace period to wait until the RCMP arives...

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry’s Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
Kim said a criminal record check could be obtained from a local police department...............

( http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449 )



yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I don't see what good it does to apply for your police checks now in many cases. Takes 6 months to get the Canadian one. What good does that do for people who have to renew before that?

No good. That's what. SOL with a paid-for police check coming to no one for nothing.


With that kind of attitude - I have no sympathy for you - when your contract finishes and you still will not have even applied for your police-check...

Usually in life - you have to spend a little money in order to make money...

You have already spent time, effort and money on a Uni degree and sealed transcripts... are you telling me you don't see the use in spending a little more to get a Police-check.... and the effort to go apply for it now - so it will be in your hands already for when you need it?

This ORIGINAL Post was published at the END-of-OCTOBER... warning people to get their Police check ordered IMMEDIATELY...

( Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Want to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check )

If you had followed my advice and applied back then - that would have given you a 5 week head-start rather than applying today....

However - even applying today is better than sitting around saying "What good is it to apply now?"....


Anyway,

PEOPLE RENEWING WON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE A CRIMINAL OR MEDICAL CHECK!

IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR AN E2 THEN YOU'LL NEED CRIMINAL AND HEALTH CHECKS!

SO, QUIT FREAKING EVERYONE OUT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kermo



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Location: Eating eggs, with a comb, out of a shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know for sure? The rules have changed every other day since we first heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fruitcake



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Location: shinchon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
Yesterday wrote:
chachee99 wrote:
I got the criminal record check form from the Canadian Embassy and finger prints done on Monday. I will mail it off tomorrow. However, my contract expires at the end of February. What happens if I don't get the results back in time? What is the fastest way to get this out of the way? The RCMP needs the originals and will not accept faxed copies.

If it doesn't come back to me by the my contract expires, will immigration at renew my visa with my employer and provide me with a grace period for the results to come back if I submit proof that these documents are being processed and returned back to me if takes longer than 3 months to arrive back to me?


Good on you - you did the right thing... a smart and wise move...

I am aware if you are Canadian and apply through the RCMP or are American and apply through the FBI - the POLICE-Check may take up to 6 months to arrive...

Hopefully, and I am sure - Immigration could give you a grace period, until your Police-check arrives...

Australians and NZ's are luckier - it only takes 6 weeks for a Federal Police check to arrive.....

Hence - if you are Canadian or American - I would apply for both IMMEDIATELY... if your visa is finishing during the next 6~8 months..
That way your "local POLICE-check" would arrive back within 3~4 weeks and you could at least give that to Immigration whilst waiting for your Federal Police-check to arrive...

You should have kept a copy of what you sent to the RCMP and also the receipt from the Post Office - to show Immigration that you have sent it - but it will take until end-of-May / June to arrive back...

In the meantime - I would have send the same thing also to your parents to take into your "local-home-city" police station... because that "Local police-check" should arrive back within 3~4 weeks...

at least you would be able to give Immigration the "local POLICE-CHECK" and ask them for a grace period to wait until the RCMP arives...

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry’s Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
Kim said a criminal record check could be obtained from a local police department...............

( http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449 )



yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I don't see what good it does to apply for your police checks now in many cases. Takes 6 months to get the Canadian one. What good does that do for people who have to renew before that?

No good. That's what. SOL with a paid-for police check coming to no one for nothing.


With that kind of attitude - I have no sympathy for you - when your contract finishes and you still will not have even applied for your police-check...

Usually in life - you have to spend a little money in order to make money...

You have already spent time, effort and money on a Uni degree and sealed transcripts... are you telling me you don't see the use in spending a little more to get a Police-check.... and the effort to go apply for it now - so it will be in your hands already for when you need it?

This ORIGINAL Post was published at the END-of-OCTOBER... warning people to get their Police check ordered IMMEDIATELY...

( Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Want to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check )

If you had followed my advice and applied back then - that would have given you a 5 week head-start rather than applying today....

However - even applying today is better than sitting around saying "What good is it to apply now?"....


Anyway,

PEOPLE RENEWING WON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE A CRIMINAL OR MEDICAL CHECK!

IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR AN E2 THEN YOU'LL NEED CRIMINAL AND HEALTH CHECKS!

SO, QUIT FREAKING EVERYONE OUT!


I'm pretty sure they do. the TAs at my uni have talked with immigration, and they were told renewing is the same as before with the addition of those two documents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yingwenlaoshi



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: ... location, location!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi wrote:
Yesterday wrote:
chachee99 wrote:
I got the criminal record check form from the Canadian Embassy and finger prints done on Monday. I will mail it off tomorrow. However, my contract expires at the end of February. What happens if I don't get the results back in time? What is the fastest way to get this out of the way? The RCMP needs the originals and will not accept faxed copies.

If it doesn't come back to me by the my contract expires, will immigration at renew my visa with my employer and provide me with a grace period for the results to come back if I submit proof that these documents are being processed and returned back to me if takes longer than 3 months to arrive back to me?


Good on you - you did the right thing... a smart and wise move...

I am aware if you are Canadian and apply through the RCMP or are American and apply through the FBI - the POLICE-Check may take up to 6 months to arrive...

Hopefully, and I am sure - Immigration could give you a grace period, until your Police-check arrives...

Australians and NZ's are luckier - it only takes 6 weeks for a Federal Police check to arrive.....

Hence - if you are Canadian or American - I would apply for both IMMEDIATELY... if your visa is finishing during the next 6~8 months..
That way your "local POLICE-check" would arrive back within 3~4 weeks and you could at least give that to Immigration whilst waiting for your Federal Police-check to arrive...

You should have kept a copy of what you sent to the RCMP and also the receipt from the Post Office - to show Immigration that you have sent it - but it will take until end-of-May / June to arrive back...

In the meantime - I would have send the same thing also to your parents to take into your "local-home-city" police station... because that "Local police-check" should arrive back within 3~4 weeks...

at least you would be able to give Immigration the "local POLICE-CHECK" and ask them for a grace period to wait until the RCMP arives...

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry’s Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
Kim said a criminal record check could be obtained from a local police department...............

( http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449 )



yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I don't see what good it does to apply for your police checks now in many cases. Takes 6 months to get the Canadian one. What good does that do for people who have to renew before that?

No good. That's what. SOL with a paid-for police check coming to no one for nothing.


With that kind of attitude - I have no sympathy for you - when your contract finishes and you still will not have even applied for your police-check...

Usually in life - you have to spend a little money in order to make money...

You have already spent time, effort and money on a Uni degree and sealed transcripts... are you telling me you don't see the use in spending a little more to get a Police-check.... and the effort to go apply for it now - so it will be in your hands already for when you need it?

This ORIGINAL Post was published at the END-of-OCTOBER... warning people to get their Police check ordered IMMEDIATELY...

( Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Want to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check )

If you had followed my advice and applied back then - that would have given you a 5 week head-start rather than applying today....

However - even applying today is better than sitting around saying "What good is it to apply now?"....


Anyway,

PEOPLE RENEWING WON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE A CRIMINAL OR MEDICAL CHECK!

IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR AN E2 THEN YOU'LL NEED CRIMINAL AND HEALTH CHECKS!

SO, QUIT FREAKING EVERYONE OUT!


I'm pretty sure they do. the TAs at my uni have talked with immigration, and they were told renewing is the same as before with the addition of those two documents.


I talked with immi today. They just received the offical letter that it's only applicants for E2's that need these documents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fruitcake



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Location: shinchon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi, hope you're right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
indytrucks



Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Location: The Shelf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I talked with immi today. They just received the offical letter that it's only applicants for E2's that need these documents.


I hope you're right, but I would be very surprised if it were the case. Which immi branch did you speak with?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yingwenlaoshi



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: ... location, location!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi, hope you're right!


Yeah. It's a "from now on" thing. If they want your criminal and medical checks and you've been here a while, they'll just ask you for them. A case be case deal. At immi's whim.

Easy as that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fruitcake



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Location: shinchon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi, hope you're right!


Yeah. It's a "from now on" thing. If they want your criminal and medical checks and you've been here a while, they'll just ask you for them. A case be case deal. At immi's whim.

Easy as that.


wha? so if I roll in to renew, they could out-of-the-blue ask me for those documents?

I'm not convinced there is a clear distinction between "renewing" and "applying" being made with either their documents or the interpretation of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yingwenlaoshi



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: ... location, location!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi wrote:
fruitcake wrote:
yingwenlaoshi, hope you're right!


Yeah. It's a "from now on" thing. If they want your criminal and medical checks and you've been here a while, they'll just ask you for them. A case be case deal. At immi's whim.

Easy as that.


wha? so if I roll in to renew, they could out-of-the-blue ask me for those documents?

I'm not convinced there is a clear distinction between "renewing" and "applying" being made with either their documents or the interpretation of them.


I don't mean that you should have them in possession. They would just ask you to obtain them. If they have to wait, they have to wait.

I don't know if that's what they'll do, but I guess it would be their decision since immi can do pretty much what they want. Case by case.

All I'm saying is that to renew, you don't need these documents. Applying for a visa, you need them. Don't pay attention to what I think they might do in certain cases. That's up to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yingwenlaoshi



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: ... location, location!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I talked with immi today. They just received the offical letter that it's only applicants for E2's that need these documents.


I hope you're right, but I would be very surprised if it were the case. Which immi branch did you speak with?


Why would you be surprised? I don't think immi wants to deal with upset schools and impossible situations where everyone's left without teachers. I'm not one bit surprised.

I don't want to advertise what branch I'm at. Not into telling everyone where I live for certain things I write about my job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International