Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Korea V's teaching at home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that everyone is forgetting is job security, or better put, your future.

Back in your home country, if you are a teacher, at least you've got that pension, and the ultra-secure postion until you retire. There's much to be said for that.

Working in Korea at Ding Dong hogwon or nearly anywhere else, your financial situation is in jeopardy once a year when your contract is up for renewal.
Sure, you may have done a great job as a teacher and your contract is renewed and you are safe for another year. However, that job security is an illusion. Quality, experienced teachers get replaced on whim for political reasons, or for the newbie blonde, blue-eyed babe with big bazoombas.

Korea is good for the short to midway run, for the long run, it's simply not the place to be unless you've got other options or advantages that the usual ESl schmuch doesn't have.
Austin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Disagree in part... Reply with quote

I have never heard of a certified teacher taking a job at a hagwon as their main source of income while working in Korea. Therefore, I question your assertion that job security is an issue (not any more than the R.I.F.s that get passed out every March, April, and May to teachers in the states).

If you do every aspect of your job well in Korea, the public schools will keep you on. The same can not be said for the states, because the unions rule supreme over every issue.

As far as your point about retirement, that only applies to those that do not take care of managing and planning for their own retirement. I do not think that one can really argue with the numbers that can be racked up in Korea, so it just comes down to whether you can create a comfortable life here for yourself while you amass your retirement funds.

I do not know about you, but I prefer to save $20,000 each year, as opposed to a meager $2,500.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Disagree in part... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
I do not know about you, but I prefer to save $20,000 each year, as opposed to a meager $2,500.

I'm with Austin on this one. I'm only 32 and I have enough money to pay cash for a small home in Canada without need of a loan.
Mosley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: What a mess! Reply with quote

Quotation:" Teaching in Korea is enjoyable. I wake up almost everyday(sic)[some days you don't wake up?], and I am excited about what the day is going to bring."

Thanks, bud. Now I've got my lunch all over the keyboard....
bugs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(not any more than the R.I.F.s that get passed out every March, April, and May to teachers in the states).

If you do every aspect of your job well in Korea, the public schools will keep you on. The same can not be said for the states, because the unions rule supreme over every issue.

Absolutely! Those who have not taught in the U.S. in a long term basis do not know how influential the union is, and how evil it can be sometimes.

For example, I will not name the major school district in the U.S. but this is what happened. There was a major budget crisis due to the errors of some upper management accountants. Consequentlly, the superintendant resigned. Due to the budget crunch, the school district had to layoff some teachers. Since this is a union job, they couldn't get rid of the incompetent or useless teachers with "seniority."

The district decided to eliminate some "support" positions in the district offices, occupied by some "semi" retired teachers; "paper pushers" who spent some 20 plus years in the classroom waiting for their 25th year so that they can retire with full pension. Now these are the teachers who chose to get out of the classroom environment and applied for higher paying admin. positions in the district office.

What did the district do in its infinite wisdom? They RIF a lot of 1st and 2nd year teachers, who recently got out of college with high degree of motivation and idealism, who also have college debts, etc. Who did the district replace these teachers with? The ones who chose to leave the classrooms in the first place; these semi-retire teachers with $50k plus salary figures just waiting that one or two more years for the full pension to retire!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

This is just one of many mediocrities that teacher's union promotes.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: