Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian background check versus American

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Canadian background check versus American Reply with quote

I am thinking of going back to Korea, but the FBI background check takes too long i.e. 12 weeks. How long does the Canadian one take? I could consider applying for a new Canadian passport and going that route? I am a dual citizen.
jrdream

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCMP check took just a little under 3 weeks for me, and considering passport takes less than a week, I would say it's worth your time if you don't mind spending a little extra for the passport.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are IN Canada the process is quick and comparatively easy.

A couple of weeks for the police check.
1 or 2 days to pop into the Korean consulate to get it verified (as well as get your degree verified) since Canada is not an apostille treaty signatory.

Done like dinner and Bob's yer uncle.

If you are NOT in Canada the process is long, convoluted and expensive.

Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrdream wrote:
The RCMP check took just a little under 3 weeks for me, and considering passport takes less than a week, I would say it's worth your time if you don't mind spending a little extra for the passport.

Were you in Canada when you did it? I am going to apply for a new Canadian passport by next week and don't mind paying extra. I am not sure how long a Canadian passport takes when you're overseas. I'm in Istanbul, Turkey, and I'm trying to leave. I am getting the paperwork done from here. Then, I want to see if I can get an E-2 visa from Istanbul. If I have to go back to Canada or the US to get it, I'd do that. I'm in unfamiliar territory.
jrdream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

Were you in Canada when you did it? I am going to apply for a new Canadian passport by next week and don't mind paying extra. I am not sure how long a Canadian passport takes when you're overseas. I'm in Istanbul, Turkey, and I'm trying to leave. I am getting the paperwork done from here. Then, I want to see if I can get an E-2 visa from Istanbul. If I have to go back to Canada or the US to get it, I'd do that. I'm in unfamiliar territory.

Oh I see...yeah I was in Canada when I applied. Not too sure about the process outside of Canada, sorry about that. Good luck though
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the middle east, assuming you have had a previous (within the last 5 years) Canadian passport the passport process is not hard and takes about 3 weeks from application to new passport.

The process of getting your RCMP check on the other hand can take months when you are not in Canada. Currently, a paper print check with no match can take up to 22 weeks. (RCMP website). The fee is $25CAD if done by the RCMP and varies substantially if done by an outside service4 (and just as slow).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: