Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E7 visa and questions about working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdarkslayer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: E7 visa and questions about working Reply with quote

Hi i am considering to work in korea in the future i am from singapore and have no family line related to korea i can speak english and chinese and should be able to speak korean well by then.i am thinking of applying for e7 visa after getting my masters degree from NUS in singapore.i have a few questions to ask:
1.i am wondering what kind of jobs apply to korea, as in what kind of job can i study in singapore and use in korea .i know that business can be used but i am also wondering if singapore accounting can be used there and if they vary alot other than just language difference.
2.what is the minimum and maximum salary i can get while working in korea as a foreigner.
3.would it help me get a job by going for Topik test before applying for my job.
4.i am considering to work in korea for more than 5 years and was wondering if after 5 years if i apply for general neutralisation and meet all the requirements will i have the rights of a korean?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Neutralisation"? If you're asking about getting neutered, AFAIK there is no time line on the procedure. Naturalization, on the other hand, is quite difficult absent very close family relationship (spouse) who is a South Korean national. Another option is large investment in South Korea. One would hope your Korean language ability is better than your English.
mcdarkslayer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard if i have a legal adress in korea for 5 years and i meet the requirements i can apply
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdarkslayer wrote:
I heard if i have a legal adress in korea for 5 years and i meet the requirements i can apply

Graduate degree, long term employment (5 years on the same status of sojourn), Korean competence...

If you want to immigrate then you NEED to have something they want or be a North Korean refugee.

Your first step is getting a job.
Then you need to learn Korean.
Then you need to keep your status of sojourn for more than 5 years without interruption.
Then you can apply for resident status. You will go through a process and MAY be granted permanent resident F5 status.
At that point you can look at a citizenship application.

PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the OP ran another thread with basically the same intent, but anyway....

I have a nephew in accounting here at a major Korean firm, so maybe I can at least help answer that part of the OP's question.

No, a background in 'Singaporean accounting' won't carry much weight here. The gold standard is the 'Korean CPA exam', a remarkably difficult, two part exam that takes most Koreans years to pass.

On top of that, most Korean CPAs at larger firms also hold their US CPA qualification, which, by all accounts, is considered pretty easy to obtain.

Second, I highly, and I mean HIGHLY doubt that you'll be able to speak Korean well enough to function professionally by the time you've completed your MBA. A good working knowledge of grammar and some conversational ability? Sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The upside is that ANY proof of prior Korean language study is a bonus if you're applying to jobs with MNEs here (Korean or otherwise). IF you can get hired, then TTompatz's input, as always, hits the nail on the head.

Think I mentioned this in your other thread, but a good avenue of approach is to get hired on at a Korean firm in Singapore, or with a large MNE there that also does business in Korea, and then, after a year or two, look to get tranfered to Seoul.

MOST Korean firms will be looking to hire foreign experts, and the best shot you have is to have experience with a major competitor. So if you're getting an MBA, go for MIS. Finance might work, too, if you're looking to get into financial services, an area of expansion for some of Korea's largest companies.

Hope this info helps. I'm normally not too optimistic about foreigners' chances of getting hired on at big Korean companies, but, hey, you never know unless you try.

Also take into consideration that there are a LOT of cultural differences, both in terms of Korea's macro culture and in terms of individual corporate cultures, that make a caree with a Korean firm a less than attractive longer term option for many in business.

Just something to consider, especially seeing you have no formal background in anything Korean, nor any family connections here. They will definitely ask you, "Why do you want to work in Korea?" Be prepared to give a very good answer, particularly given you (lack of) background here. They will also, while perhaps not voiced, be thinking about whether or not you'll actually stay here or be able to succeed in the business environment here. Again, if you do get a shot, be ready to address these issues pre-emptively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: