Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which are Good and Bad areas of Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weejockman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Which are Good and Bad areas of Seoul Reply with quote

Hey!

I am currently in the process of applying to jobs in Seoul and I was wondering if there are any bad areas I should avoid, or, on the other hand, good areas of Seoul. Are most of the teaching positions near the centre or are they scattered throughout the city?
ratslash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avoid itaewon!

all over the seoul metropolis there are schools. i think one of the satellite cites would be a nice place to work in. bundang or ilsan. outside seoul (theoretically) but still close enough to come into seoul whenever to u want to.

inside the the city centre you have to deal with the pollution and crowds. maybe live outside the city centre but commute in to work in the city centre would be a good idea?

bit of an ambiguous question as what is good for one person will be bad for another person.

good luck anyway.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean bad like East L.A bad? Luckily there aren't places like that in Seoul. The Kangnam area is a fun place to be.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"east L.A. bad". (canuckistan). Apparently Cheongnyangni has a really bad rep amongst koreans, a sort of no-go area at nights. I've heard their stories that robberies, cons, and rough-ups are pretty common there, around the prostitute alley and bus stop area. Quite a few desperate people using the area, and i've seen plenty mean looking tattooed gangsta types walking around there.
But i've never been to east L.A to compare it.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you posted this on the teaching forum.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
You mean bad like East L.A bad? Luckily there aren't places like that in Seoul. The Kangnam area is a fun place to be.

It'd be great if you could find a neighborhood in Seoul with East L.A.-style food. Now, that would be "bad".
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to give a shot out to Bucheon. Sure, its not as nice as Ilsan or Bundang, but its closer and quicker to get to Seoul than those other two. Its also got everything those other two have minus Ilsan's lake. Its even got a small western-style mall now, although none of the shops are that great.

As for Seoul itself, Yangcheon-Gu is nice, most notably mok-dong. Gangseo-gu is a bit too far from things if you ask me; might as well be in Bundang or, yup, Bucheeon Smile.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give two fingers to bucheon. I think there are nice areas close to songnae station sang dong etc. but if you live in places closer to gimpo it's pretty grotty, and far a way.

I like Incheon apart from the fact that it's too far a way but on the plus side I don't go out drinking as much as I would closer to seoul thus it's easier to save money.

CLG
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to give two fingers to bucheon.

The question is, which two fingers would those be? Shocked
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is the rough part of Seoul? I might need to go there to remind me of home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: