Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What one thing would you change about Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Foreigners... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Cancel every visa belonging to foreigners that do not like being Korea, and force them to leave the country!

How about a requirement that if you can not speak Korean after two years, that you are terminated?

DID you ever stop to think that A LOT of foreigners dont want to LEARN korean!!! because they hate the language and it is worthless outside the country!! but I guess in your mind too.. all the koreans in USA and other countries who have been there 30 years and cant speak English/other should too be deported.!

And since when do you have to LOVE a country! I take it you dont love your homeland!! so you are in exile are you>>??
I am a foreigner but If korea is playing my country in a sports game I am not rooting for the korean team!!! I guess you are!! love it or leave it huh!
so I guess you left your country!
dont talk trash like that here dude..
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way Itaewonguy just tells it straight! Rockin' dude!
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get my girlfriend to leave so that I could too.

This place really isn't worth sticking around for.

So, if Austin starts deporting people, put me down as numero uno! Cool

Cheers
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% with itaewonguy. We're here for the cash, thats about the only drawcard. If koreans came across as more interesting, stylish, and cool a lot more people would want to learn their language.
The other 1% is: There are plenty of cool K-gals its worth learning Korean for. Only, they normally speak english pretty well anyway...
seanie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the financial policy of the government ...i'd tie the won to the euro instead of the dollar thus making my life must better
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Korea is a US satellite.
We all know that.
Let's be honest.
We want to dominate this region.
People in this area of the world are willing to work for a small wage and create a high quality product.
That's life.
English teaching is just off-shoot, no problems.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one thing, any attempts at 'saving face' will result in bad plastic surgery.

CLG
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compulsory defensive driving lessons?
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: yea Reply with quote

Austin, you sound like someone who has taken some Korean lessons and now you are all high and mighty on yourself.

When you are fluent you can talk. Until then 'dak chyeo'
Imbroglio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd build awesome homes and provide health services for those men who are forced to beg on the subway. I'm talking about the ones that drag themselves along the platform with wheels on it - the ones without legs. They usually have a white (dirty white) vest and are over 50.

The only time I ever cried in Korea was the first time I encountered one on the subway -- felt him trying to shine my sneakers. I gave him some money and tears welled up so bad I got off the subway to find a place to be alone.
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Pathetic... Reply with quote

That is pathetic! You can make money anywhere in the world, so why waste your time in a country that you have only contempt for to begin with?

Unlike you, I studied Korean prior to arriving in Korea in 1995. If you have traveled around to other countries, you recognize the importance of doing such. However, too many have never been on a plane or out of their country prior to coming here, so they have not a clue.

It is not about loving it or leaving it. It just makes life much more enjoyable when you can interact in the country you are living and working in. Ignorance abounds...
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of the complaints come down to

"its not at all like where i'm from, and it really should be more like where i'm from, because where i'm from suits my tastes"

hi, you're in a foreign country
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
a lot of the complaints come down to

"its not at all like where i'm from, and it really should be more like where i'm from, because where i'm from suits my tastes"

hi, you're in a foreign country

Well, a lot of complaints come down to, "this is just f***ing stupid, no matter where you are from or what you are used to".

It's the constant stupidity and ineptitude that I find hardest to deal with.

By the way, Austin, how long did it take you to learn Korean? and Where did you study?

You never answered last time I asked.

Cheers
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
99% with itaewonguy. We're here for the cash, thats about the only drawcard. If koreans came across as more interesting, stylish, and cool a lot more people would want to learn their language.
The other 1% is: There are plenty of cool K-gals its worth learning Korean for. Only, they normally speak english pretty well anyway...

Sorry, I've gotta go with Austin here. My respect dwindles very rapidly for anyone who has been here for longer than a year and has no grasp whatsoever of the language. I'm not talking about fluency, I'm talking about being able to read Korean script, order dinner and drinks, get directions, and make a little small talk. Enough to help you get around, not be dependent on people, make your life easier, and seem like a civilized human being. The excuses about not liking Korean culture, or Korean not being useful outside of Korea get lamer and lamer the more time you spend here.

It doesn't take that much work either. A few hours a week with a textbook, or the Sogang University web site (http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/) will get you there.
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: On my own... Reply with quote

I studied on my own and with a Korean prior to arriving to get down some of the basic honorific expressions for daily survival, as well as the customs, culture, etc. After settling in, I enrolled at the F.L.E.C. in Ewha Women's University. Granted, it only took a couple of hours to learn the alphabet, but everything else slowly developed from there.

Again, do not get me wrong. I know plenty of decent people that travel around Europe and Asia and never bother to learn how to say "please" and "thank you" in any of the countries that they visit, making cultural mistakes along the way. However, that is not my style. I think that learning languages and the customs of other countries helps to foster a better experience in those countries. Moreover, my experiences have been much better because of it, as people respond to those that take the time to learn about their language and their customs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: