Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What one thing would you change about Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:

Sorry, I've gotta go with Austin here. My respect dwindles very rapidly for anyone who has been here for longer than a year and has no grasp whatsoever of the language. I'm not talking about fluency, I'm talking about being able to read Korean script, order dinner and drinks, get directions, and make a little small talk. Enough to help you get around, not be dependent on people, make your life easier, and seem like a civilized human being. The excuses about not liking Korean culture, or Korean not being useful outside of Korea get lamer and lamer the more time you spend here.

It doesn't take that much work either. A few hours a week with a textbook, or the Sogang University web site (http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/) will get you there.

Amen. I know a girl who's been here 7+ years and still can't read Hangul. That lack of interest/ambition/initiative is utterly contemptable. The best favour you can do for yourself here is to at least learn how to read. It makes your life so much easier, and it's not difficult. It took me a day to grasp the basics.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Cool

I am learning Korean, by the way. I am taking a once a week class at the Busan volunteer center and also I am studying independantly at home.
I use the Sogang website sometimes too.

My problems in Korea are not specifically to do with language or even culture. They have more to do with ridiculous teaching situations that I have to put up with because of the stupidity of parents, students and or the director that caters to "stupid requests" of well meaning but naive parents. Surprised Whew! That was a mouthful. Shocked

If the my work situation were better, I would most likely enjoy this country a lot more. But that doesn't mean I am not bothered by some "cultural aspects" here. I am probably bothered even more by rude people in the subway, or someone pushing in front of me at the bank because I'm already in a bad mood thinking about my job.

So why don't I change jobs? Well, I will someday. Hopefully I will find a better job, but I am not sure if I will be able to. From what I've read on this forum, I am luckier than most. At least I get paid and I have a decent place to live. If only I had some satisfaction at work. Crying or Very sad

I am quite worried that I may end up in an even worse work situation, and this all adds up to me being very frustated and tired with life in this country.

Anyway, happy trails Cool
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pathetic... Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Again... Reply with quote

Again, I did not say "love it or leave it."

I suggested that one could cancel foreigners' visas that do not like being here, and force them to leave the country to make Korea a better place.

You are reading too much into it. I am not advocating that people have to love Korea, just "like" being here and attempting to understand it. My suggestion was meant to help those that are incapable of helping themselves.

There is nothing inconsistent about my view, just your interpretation of it.

Last edited by Austin on Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreigners... Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
Austin wrote:
Cancel every visa belonging to foreigners that do not like being Korea, and force them to leave the country!

How about a requirement that if you can not speak Korean after two years, that you are terminated?

DID you ever stop to think that A LOT of foreigners dont want to LEARN korean!!! because they hate the language and it is worthless outside the country!! but I guess in your mind too.. all the koreans in USA and other countries who have been there 30 years and cant speak English/other should too be deported.!

And since when do you have to LOVE a country! I take it you dont love your homeland!! so you are in exile are you>>??
I am a foreigner but If korea is playing my country in a sports game I am not rooting for the korean team!!! I guess you are!! love it or leave it huh!
so I guess you left your country!
dont talk trash like that here dude..

Hey, give him a break. He didn't say you have to love Korea more than your homeland, just that you should "like it".

I'm all for that. I'm sick of how many people "hate" this country, but than never leave. No one is holding a gun to your head. If you don't like it that much, go home.
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: To some waygukin... Reply with quote

To some wayguk-in:

Attitude and ego are more than ninety percent of the game here. If you drop the attitude that your way is better and give your ego a break from thinking that it is only capable of seeing things from the "best" way, you might not be so down on other people's suggestions and ways of doing things.

You might want to at least give the above some thought.

The only reason any person would think something was F'ed up would be because they think/believe they know a "better" way. As humbling as this may be, have you ever considered that you could be wrong? If so, the next time you are asked to do something, just do it without analyzing whether it is "right," "better," etc. Just accept it as something unique and different. You may actually learn something positive from it.

I could give you numerous examples of times when I was opposed to my employer's suggestions, but I followed them to keep harmony in the workplace. In the end, neither "way" made that much of a difference, but the harmony remained (which made all the difference in the world)!
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ignorance abounds...

Sure does, look in the mirror.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: To some waygukin... Reply with quote

[quote="Austin"]To some wayguk-in:

Attitude and ego are more than ninety percent of the game here. If you drop the attitude that your way is better and give your ego a break from thinking that it is only capable of seeing things from the "best" way, you might not be so down on other people's suggestions and ways of doing things.

You might want to at least give the above some thought.

The only reason any person would think something was F'ed up would be because they think/believe they know a "better" way. As humbling as this may be, have you ever considered that you could be wrong? If so, the next time you are asked to do something, just do it without analyzing whether it is "right," "better," etc. Just accept it as something unique and different. You may actually learn something positive from it.

I can only give you an example of what I see as completely stupid.

Last week, a parent came in and asked that her 2 kids be moved up to a level 6 class so that they could spend more time with the foreign teacher (me) The one kid was in level 4 (not so bad) but his younger brother barely knows his ABC's and was in a level 2 class. I of course had to agree to do this. (there really is nothing I can do about it anyway)

And I did not put up a fuss about it, because from past experience I know it will do no good. So I suppose "harmony" is preserved for the director and for the parent. But what kind of sense does this make for me as a teacher? Absolutely None! It just ruins my level six class, the one class that I was finally feeling like I was getting somewhere, now it is turned into a circus.

I have been here long enough to know what "works" and what doesn't. This is not going to help anyone, it just makes a complete mess of the whole class.

As for dropping the "attitude", gee whiz man, look in the mirror. Rolling Eyes
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: To some waygukin... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
If you drop the attitude that your way is better and give your ego a break...

I'd suggest you start heeding your own advice there, Tex. It's been constantly getting in the way of the occassional useful thing you have to share. A quick look around this thread shows that.

And while you're at it, you should drop the disdain of your fellow expats. You might eventually start getting people to like you.

Oooo! Wouldnt that be a scary change of pace?!

Here's what I'd change about Korea: The expats.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make the Korean men like western women as much as Korean women like western men.
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: out out out Reply with quote

I'd send all American troops home! Laughing

I just had to say that!

And think: that would take care of Itaewon as well. Two for the price of one!

And perhaps true independence would start the process of healing the Korean pysche of that perceived inferiority complex so many people complain about...or perhaps not, whatever....

Matt
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to be a social grace to elbow [hockey style, not the People's Elbow] any old bag who tries stepping in front of you.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man known as The Man wrote:
I'd like it to be a social grace to elbow [hockey style, not the People's Elbow] any old bag who tries stepping in front of you.

"I don't know."

YCDTOTV ripped off that and the "water" gag from Captain Kangaroo and the 'Ping pong balls' gag from the 60s/70s.

Still, enjoyed YCDTOTV.

Cheers,

Joe
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YCDTOTV was great... its still funny watching the odd re-run and seeing Alanis Morissette before her pop-princess/angst-ridden transitions..

Anyways back to the topic at hand.. sort of going along with what Beckerson said I'd change the attitude of the ex-pats.. As much as people might complain about Korea and Koreans constantly (which is sad), what is sadder is that ALOT of ex-pats hate going to places like Itaewon not because of Koreans, but because of fellow ex-pats!

I'd also change the constant bitching about this country on forums like this. If you don't like it, go home. Simple as that. If roles were reversed, and a Korean started complaining about living in your country, I guarantee 90% of you would be outraged, consider them ingrates and tell them to "love it or leave it".. so heed your own advice, and do all of us a favour and just leave if living here is such a pain in the arse for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: