Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my first student!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: my first student! Reply with quote

whoo hoo!! I managed to run into an exchange student from South Korea at work the other day. She is attending the high school in the town my university is located. I over heard her host parents talking to her about her friends in Korea and of course I had to say an-nyeong! I went over and told them that I�m interested in Asian (Korean) cultures and that I�m thinking about teaching ESL. Her host mom asked me right off the bat if I wanted to help her with her homework and English!! I was sooo excited because I was looking for something like this!! EXPERIENCE!!! I said I would absolutely love to help!

Our first session is tomorrow for 1.5 hours Smile Her English is very poor, so I�m sure I will be able to help her! The host dad asked if I would be charging them, and I said that I expect not to be paid, however if they feel they need to, then that's fine. I was just happy I will have this experience!

I hope this helps me decide if I�m really cut out for teaching ESL or working with an English learner. I've worked with Hispanics back at Taco Bell and ALWAYS had a great time working with them! Sometimes it�s easier to figure out what you don�t like rather than what you do�

WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT!!

if anybody has any tips I should consider...PLEASE POST!!!

PEace!
l0ckx
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching one university student is fine and I hope you get a taste for TESL.

However, it will not prepare you for a class of 13 Korean 10-year-olds high on sugar which is the the reality for many teachers here in Korea.

Class-management is the downfall of many first-time teachers here. They get a downer on their job in their first week because they can't control the kids.
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh i hear ya...i'm just hoping this will help me figure out if i really can teach. And if so, if i really would enjoy teaching! As for kids, i'm an assistant for a kindergarten class every sunday at the church...you gotta love the 6 yr olds! They really put a smile on my face and give me something worth waking up for on my sleep-in day!

Those who can...teach, those who can't...teach gym

heh, i don't wanna be teaching Gym in korea...j/k

Peace,
l0ckx
justaskdan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want some advice, charge her 30,000won an hour.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna agree with Dan -- it might have been better to charge something just to put the arrangement on a more professional footing. Even if you dont know what youre doing! It signals that you intend to work & you expect the same from your student.

Also as noted above, one-to-one is a lot different from teaching a class. In many ways, private tutoring is more difficult. Full-on 90 minutes with a native speaker is daunting, stressful, & very tiring to most beginners. Go very slowly & patiently, strive to keep it light.

One small language note -- if you said 'an-nyeong' to the girls parents, that would be quite highly disrespectful. Somewhat westernized, they probably overlooked your mistake, but 'an-nyeong haseyo' in full is necessary for everyone except children & your closest friends.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're enjoying it. You'll be asked for a lot more tuition when you get here, it'll be heaven for you.
isn't it sweet to listen to bright eyed and bushy tailed newbies, keen to explore Korean culture?!!!!!!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l0ckx wrote:
Those who can...teach, those who can't...teach gym

heh, i don't wanna be teaching Gym in korea...j/k

Peace,
l0ckx

I do. The gym teachers at my school got it made. Walk around and yell at kids to work harder. Totally sweet!
l0ckx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh...I didn't make myself entirely clear.

I don't live in Korea, I�m still in the states. I'm a university student, and she is a high school student in the same town. Her host parents are American, and blood are back in Korea. As for the pay, I work at the same company as her host dad, and he works really bad shifts at night and her host mom during the day...I really don't think they have the $$ to be shelling out. It is absolutely my pleasure to help the poor girl, for I will be getting experience, and hopefully some help with my Korean!!

It's all good...

peace,
l0ckx
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're good. Ignore the money-grubbing business and have fun with your first student. Just don't get frisky.
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
You're good. Ignore the money-grubbing business and have fun with your first student. Just don't get frisky.

Er...at this point I hope the OP clarifies what gender he/she is, because I felt that this was a female poster. Shocked Mind you, not getting frisky is still good advice regardless, but...now I'd like to know.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Vader is all MAN.
l0ckx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm totally a dude...and no frisky business...she's like 15!

I've done the high school girlfriend...and no...no more of that !

peace,
l0ckx
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You want some advice, charge her 30,000won an hour.

If you do charge her, make sure it's in the currency of your current location. Wink
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l0ckx wrote:
I've done the high school girlfriend.

Yours I trust? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: